Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 12:53:26 PM EDT
Please help me before I blow a lot of dough on a rail system...

I have a stock/factory Colt LE6920 with an EOTech 552 that I am co-witnessing with my existing front iron sight and a GG&G MAD rear flip up iron sight (carry handle removed).  I think I may be in need of a rail system. For now, the only thing I would be mounting to the rail is a KAC forward vertical grip.  I believe that mounting my EOTech as forward possible on the UPPER RECEIVER is sufficient for accuracy / performance.  Also, from what I have read here on arfcom, it seems that the most optimal mounting for optics is on the upper receiver rail (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm considering buying a GG&G UFIR (under foregrip intergrate rail) for a whopping $40 to mount underneath the existing Colt factory double insulated handguard.  Since the only thing other than a forward grip that I can think of mounting would be a tactical light or laser, I feel that the UFIR may be sufficient for my needs, and that a $200 - $300 rail system might be a little overkill for my needs.  Yes, I know it looks way cooler to have a 4 rail system, but can't I just mount a UFIR without sacrificing performance?   Furthermore, I believe that there are some high quality fixed / sturdy mounts available that attach to the FSB or Bayonet Lug that can be used for things like lasers and lights.  

My only concern is whether or not the UFIR is sturdy enough to maintain a SOLID FEEL when shooting, as well as look solid and sturdy.  I know the Colt factory handguard is not made of solid aluminum like the rail systems are, and am wondering how reliably it will all hold together.  I plan on mounting it tightly and securely using loctite 262 or whatever is recommended.

I think if money were no object, I would just buy the most expensive, coolest looking rail system and be content.  It seems as though it's a lot of money to spend on something that I will only be using to mount a vertical grip, and maybe a light or laser, for which there are other more practical mounting options available (as mentioned in paragraph 2 above).

Should I just go ahead and buy a 4 rail system or would the UFIR perform just as well for my needs?

I am humbled by your expetise in this matter.  Thank you.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:05:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#2]
i used to have one. it was ok for vert grip. consider this if you can wiggle your handguards your vert grip will wiggle twice as bad. this is why i got a rasII.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i used to have one. it was ok for vert grip. consider this if you can wiggle your handguards your vert grip will wiggle twice as bad. this is why i got a rasII.

I made the mistake of getting two for use with a VFG. I ended up giving them away. I have two Colts with RASII (also the M4 RAS is much better) and they have worked out well. All my other uppers have DD forearms, but LARue is in the works.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm also thinking of getting the Daniel Defense forends; but two questions:
1.  Is the gas tube exposed behind the regular front sight?
2.  Is there a cap over the far end?

I can't tell by just looking at the pictures.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Right2Keep(you have to PM him) has YHM railed handguards for less than $100. I have a set and I think they are exactly what you're after. They will definately last longer than the bolt on rail and will allow you to do other things in the future. You may not need more than one rail now but if you change your mind you will not need to spend more money later.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm also thinking of getting the Daniel Defense forends; but two questions:1.  Is the gas tube exposed behind the regular front sight?
2.  Is there a cap over the far end?
I can't tell by just looking at the pictures.  Thanks.

All of my DD9.0 use PRI GB/Front sights. There is a small gap where the gas tube is exposed (~0.125in). This is a non-issue.

Not sure what you mean by a cap. If you mean a front cover to cover the open section of the forend. Then no, not to my knowledge. Again, this is not an issue with any FF Foreend..

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top