Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2004 4:15:56 PM EDT
 I have a rifle that has been refinished in brownells bake on finish dark park color, and Im wanting to refinish the rifle with a duracoat finish. Can I put it on over the brownells finish or do i need to remove the old finish? The brownells finish is on pretty good and it wood be tough to remove.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Smithy,

Check HERE for the entire Duracoat story and process

Surely there is a mention of what it will adhere to and not.

I don't see why it wouldn't (seal over your current finish)

I know this......the Duracoat finish is awesome when done properly

good luck with your project
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
is the duracoat aerosol finish the same as the normal duarcoat mix. Is it still as strong? Any comments?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Dont know that but, If it were my favorite rifle, I would have professional refinishers do the work.

that way:

1) it's done right first time

2) do-it-yourself projects typically are done better the 2nd time, better yet the 3rd time, etc. so I wouldn't attempt to learn this skill on my rifle and risk screwing it up- That's me, but you may well be quite accomplished with this type thing

3) It isn't that expensive, ($140, I believe they quote in their Services section) especially if you break the rifle down (dis-assemble) for them, and re-assemble when you get it back

Edited to add: Here is a company that has location in Iowa and are Certified Duracoat Finishers, a designation Lauer and Duracoat suggests is a major qualification

CLICK HERE

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top