Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2004 12:39:16 PM EDT
Hello again.
I am thinking about making up an AR with the lightest 16" barrel available from Model 1 sales, and a Cav. arms lower.  I am thinking about using an aluminum free float tube (if that is not a problem...) and an A3 upper.   Scoped of course.

Am I "thinkiing right?  Would there be any problems with such a rig?  If I do this, what kind of accuracy can I expect with good handloads.  The barels have a 1-9 twist.  and they are very light weight.  I don't mind using Sierra match bullets and best quality loads.  I just want accuracy,  but if I can get it with a super light rifle, so much the better.  

I like the idea of such a light weight gun, but I don't think I would have as much use for it if it won't shoot well.  I will use it mostly on very small varmints (prairie dogs)  and some times on skunks and foxes, with some coyotes thrown in from time to time.  A lot of shots would be in the 200-300 yard range.

For all you folks out there that have a LOT more experience than I do...........what do you think?

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Light usually means less accurate (flame on 's).  If you want a 300 m tack driver, you might want to look at a varmint rig in 24" - Heavy, but accurate.  Got glass?

IO1
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top