Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 10:59:05 AM EDT
Currently, I own a Colt LE Carbine.

I'm interested in purchasing another AR15 type, but was thinking about spending a little less than the Colt.

Next to Colt, who makes the best AR15 type rifles in terms of quality, durability, and performance.  I'm NOT looking for the cheapest... just the next best to Colt.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh lord, he we go again....
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Next to Colt, who makes the best AR15 type rifles in terms of quality, durability, and performance.  

I'd rather have one Rock River than ten Colts.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Next to Colt, who makes the best AR15 type rifles in terms of quality, durability, and performance.  

please explain.  i'm obviously a newbie.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:16:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've just asked a question that can't be answered (though many feel it can be)

Like Coke vs. Pepsi , Chevy vs. Ford , ect.....

That being said , MOST people consider Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt or Rock River to be the "best"

the type of thing that leads to 20 page threads of name calling.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Read more.
Colt is no better or worse than any other AR out there, more or less. All the major players have good points and bad points. The best thing to do is ask yourself what you want it for; what will it's role be and what is important to you for a rifle to meet your need. Then apply those traits to the manufacturers offerings until you find what youre looking for. Or build one to fit your needs.
Best bet: do the above, then when you narrow it down to a couple rifles come post here and see what folks think of them.

It's easier to say who to stay away from: Olympic, American Spirit Arms, Hesse, Vulcan, etc...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#7]
uh oh...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#8]

I am at a loss with todays mass produced ARs. I dislike them all. Either I have to buy a LMT MRP or build an AR myself. I actually might rebuild mine into a more modern configuration.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok if you want a good Mass produced get a Bushmaster or a RRA.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Bushmaster, DPMS, or Rock River Arms. I decided to go with the DPMS. It seems like from looking at this forum that there were less complaints about DPMS than Bushmaster. Having said that though there are probably more people getting Bushmasters than DPMS. I had two Colts and wanted to get more AR's after the ban and since Colt in not going to be making them for civillians in pre ban configurations and since I was unwilling to pay the high price for Colt LE only, I had to decide to go with a different brand of AR.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Do a search on the different manufactures like Bushmaster, Colt, RRA, LMT, etc. I went with a complete LMT M4 that I just purchased yesterday from Denny. I could not get a Colt for a good price right away so I went with LMT to see how I like it. I'm still waiting on a 6920.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Colt makes the best rifles.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I got away from the ARs a long time ago, and got into FALs, which I think is one of the finest rifles ever made.  So, coming back to ARs for something in .223, I followed along here for awhile before deciding for myself.  After a lot of reading, and handling Colt, BM, etc. I decided that I prefer Colt, if I can afford and get them.  I first traded a Robinson M-96 recon for a BM Dissy, just to get rid of that pathetic attempt of a gun from Robinson...don't get me started on that POS.   Anyway got back into with with a bushie, and it's pretty good.  Then I picked up a couple of Colt uppers, and have been very happy with the quality.  I put one on an LCW (LMT) lower with colt internals, and just ordered a LEO lower for the other colt upper.  I think it's the little things I like best about colt.  Parked under the FSB, MPd bolts, etc.  I don't put much stock into what gun magazines and writers say...mostly full of it.  I do however respect what Pat Rodgers has to say.  He's a been there, done that, kind of guy, that is exposed to a lot of weapons over extended periods of time.  And unlike someone like Massad Yahoob, he has actually met a gun he doesn't like.  Meaning, I think he's straight up with his info.  Check out Pat on Tactical Forums.com, great guy who knows what he's talking about.  

Bottom line...he names Colt as the only tier one AR, and the rest are 2nd or 3rd tier.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't want one of them, but if I want what I think is the best, I get a colt.  Although I think the company leaves a lot to be desired  because they don't really cater to us lowley civilians,  doesn't mean that they don't make a fine weapon.  Just to be clear, I went into my quest for an AR trying to justify not getting a colt.    
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#14]
At the risk of starting a flame war (which is not my intention):

without a doubt, the HKM4.

If you are asking about one that is available to us civvies, Then I'd say Colt and Bushmaster on equal footing. But there are lots of ther good ones out there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
At the risk of starting a flame war (which is not my intention):

without a doubt, the HKM4.

If you are asking about one that is available to us civvies, Then I'd say Colt and Bushmaster on equal footing. But there are lots of ther good ones out there.

+1
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:09:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Why ......... Charter Industries of Singapore , (now ST Kinetics)   Of Course
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#17]
If you are going for bang for the buck...hard to beat Chinese (Canada only)...
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Personally, although the Colts are fine, I would pick a RRA or a Doublestar/J&T Distributing...

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#19]
By all means, stay away from Olympic Arms!  I've had mine for two years, with about 5000 rounds through it.  It seems to go bang EVERY time I fire it, VERY accurate (exceeds my capability), beautiful finish (upper & lower actually match), hairline fit between the upper and lower, and super responsive customer support.  God, why did I ever buy an Oly!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Next to Colt, who makes the best AR15 type rifles in terms of quality, durability, and performance.  I'm NOT looking for the cheapest... just the next best to Colt.  Any suggestions?

ArmaLite
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:20:51 AM EDT
[#21]
If you have a Colt  then you don't want second best.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#22]
bushmaster, DSA ,,,
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:55:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Bushmaster A1
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#24]
BUSHMASTER, RRA, my own build, DPMS, colt

in that order!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#25]
fit finish pre built rra hands down othewise white oak or call adco  for custom builds just my 2 cent s
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I have to agree that you first have to address what your primary use will be. Once you've done that, then you can probably eliminate a couple of manufacturers simply because of things like, price, quality, availability of options, etc...

I will also add that I have yet to own an AR that I didn't like or didn't perform above and beyond. I have a DPMS Panther, Colt Sporter, Olympic M.F.R. and a Bushmaster XM15-E2S. All will drive tacks if I do my part. None have had a single problem even though abusive situations. All are equil in fit and finish. I have noticed that my groups are a little tighter with the chrome lined barrels but we are talking about a fraction of an inch. I have seen and fired an Armalite and it was of equil quality to the other firearms I have mentioned, although I don't own an Armalite. My next AR will probably be a Colt as well. For one the price isn't so much a factor. The fact that some of the Colts are hard to get make them more desireable (perception). There are small things that Colt does that are not done with other manufacturers which shows that Colt takes a significant amount of pride in their building of firearms.

I have read in posts that "Colts Suck". "Don't buy Olympic". But you will hardly ever read why. I don't want to start a debate at all but it would be nice to know what made them decide a manufacturer and EVERYTHING they sell is crap.

I think if you do your homework and define what you want the rifle for then do more homework followed by some homework, you'll be very happy with your final decision. Just my .02

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#28]
The obvious answer is that you should buy one of each.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Money aside, eh?

KAC SR15URXII Match

Les Baer with his .5 MOA gaurantee?

Actually you contradicted yourself.  You said you wanted the next best, but wanted to spend less.  Which is it?  Of course you are assuming Colt is the best, I won't even go there.

Go get a Bushy, it will satisfy your requirements.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:55:57 AM EDT
[#30]
RRA! I own two and love them. hmaster
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#31]
No doubt at all - Armalite Regards, Michael
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't worry about it - so is he.

I'd take the ten Colts ANY day of the week.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Colt is no better or worse than any other AR out there,

[Cough]Bullshit[/Cough].

To someone who just shoots from the bench on a nice clean range that might be true.

But there are differences and you do get what you pay for.

This has been covered so many times it's silly, and covered by men with lots more experience with these rifles than 99.9% of the people on this board. See http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=56;t=000497;p=1 for Pat Rogers comments and see Tweaks comments on Page 3.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Vulcan Arms!  Hands down.

Uh, just kidding.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#35]
What is your budget? $$$$$

MT
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top