Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 4:28:25 PM EDT
If I buy a complete bolt group assembly from RRA or Colt, does it come pre-headspaced or do I have to headspace it myself to make sure it fixs correctly when I get it home???

Would appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks

Glockguy40
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#2]
If your buying a new bolt group for a rifle you already have, then YES you should check the headspacing with your new bolt installed.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You can check it, but there is NOTHING you can do to alter it.  There is no adjustment.  The headspace is established in that the bolt is machined to spec, and the barrel's chamber and extension are machined to spec.

You can check it, it is faintly possible that the bolt was not machined correctly and that no one caught it, but I doubt it.

BTW, the bolt carrier has no effect on headspace, only the barrel assembly and the bolt are involved in this measurement.

Install and go shoot it.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Very true free man,even if there was a problem with the head space it is the extension that would need adjusting if it wasnt the bolt and Im pretty sure the extensions are pressure fit,I could be wrong
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Thx for the info guys.... I was worried about just dropping it into my upper as soon as I got it without knowing if my upper would get all jammed up or have some catastrophic failure.

You have put my fears at ease. Thanks again.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top