Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2004 6:14:31 PM EDT
I just baught an AR-15 m4 type a few months ago, before the 1994 assault weapons ban sunsetted. Since then i have added a collaspable buttstock to my rifle, which i understand before it sunsetted, a collaspable buttstock would make it considered an assault rifle. When the assault rifle ban is re-enacted, which it will. since my rifle will have been baught before it will be re-enstated, will that make my rifle a pre-ban because it will been have baught before the ban is re-enstated, or will it still be considered a post ban because it was baught after 1994?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Ban?
What Ban?

Don't worry about it.
Burn that bridge if it gets here.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
InfantryGrunt2004,

I just looked into my crystal ball.  It says......................"don't assume"............................"chill out"............."enjoy your AR"........................."We have met the enemy and he is us"........."You have nothing to fear but fear itself"................"An assault rifle in hand is worth two with Bush.......
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that a rifle that is legal today will become illegal tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Using history as our guide to future possible legislation, a new AWB would probably have a "grandfather clause".  This means that since you own it already, you can keep it, but from now on (you children) you can't just go and do X, Y, Z.  This is the way the last AWB was, since before the law took effect, SAWs were legal to make/own/sell SAWs.

So saying that a new but totally identical AWB was approved today, it would say you couldn't make a SAW from now on, but since they were perfectly legal the day before, your SAW would be "grandfathered" and remain legal.  We would call it a pre-ban, since ya had it before the ban.

With that said however, there is no guarantee that a new AWB passed today would be identical to the old one.  There could potentially be a gestapo style forced local registration of SAWs.  There could be fees for ownership and liscensing and/or Kalifornia style no sell/buy restrictions.  There could be a totally new definition to include "fast firing" rifles like lever action or pump guns.*  So called "sniper rifles" (literaly guns with scopes) could even be re-defined as AWs*.    THERE COULD BE --- NO --- grandfather clause at all meaning, "Turn that nasty gun in right now son..."  

This of course is why its a good idea to stay on your reps donkey BEFORE these things show up on the radar, and why NOW is the time to buy IMHO.

One thing is for sure, there are NO guarantees if a new AWB gets passed.

Tex78

* - these things have already been proposed at both state and federal level before, and/or have been pushed by the gun control nazis before.    NO KIDDING!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
You never know when you are going to lose a gun in the bottom of a lake when your friends boat flips over.

When the time comes to worry you will hear it here first.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
When the assault rifle ban is re-enacted, which it will[...]

BlackHelicoptersBlackHelicoptersBlackHelicoptersBlackHelicoptersBlackHelicoptersBlackHelicopters
BlackHelicoptersBlackHelicoptersBlackHelicoptersBlackHelicoptersBlackHelicoptersBlackHelicopters
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt that a rifle that is legal today will become illegal tomorrow.

You would be wrong.  If the 94 bill had not had a "grandfather clause" that's exactly what would have happenned.

Happenned in California, didn't it?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's the thing, I agree that there will *probably* be another ban.  The old ban cannot be reinstated since it expired.  However, no one knows what the provisions or wording will be on any new bans(maybe identical, maybe completely different).    So you cannot live your life in fear.  If you have the money and you know what you want  (within the current laws), then just do it.

Also, it is not an 'assault rifle' unless it is select fire.  FYI
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here's the thing, I agree that there will *probably* be another ban.  The old ban cannot be reinstated since it expired.  However, no one knows what the provisions or wording will be on any new bans(maybe identical, maybe completely different).    So you cannot live your life in fear.  If you have the money and you know what you want  (within the current laws), then just do it.

"Assault" is a verb not a noun...its a rifle until its used to "Assault".....a SEMI AUTOMATIC firearm..called an AR15.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When the assault rifle ban is re-enacted, which it will.

why do you have such a pessimistic attitude?

we just won a MAJOR battle with the sunset. the anti's lost some serious ground.

seriously, why don you just go to the UN or something and turn your AR in right now, because it might be illegal some day
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Assault" is a verb not a noun...its a rifle until its used to "Assault".....a SEMI AUTOMATIC firearm..called an AR15.

I would agree with you to an extent, however, it is common and accepted with gun historians that the term 'assault rifle' is used for select fire rifles/carbines that were used to assault positions during and after WWII.  I think, IIRC, that the first one would have been the German MP44.  I am not saying it is right or it is wrong, just that it is a term that is used.  However, I completely agree  that the AR-15 is not an assault rifle (that is what I was saying with my post above).

By the way, assault is also a noun.
as·sault    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (-sôlt)
n.

1.    A violent physical or verbal attack.
  2.a. A military attack, such as one launched against a fortified area or place.
     b. The concluding stage of an attack in which close combat occurs with the enemy.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You would be wrong.  If the 94 bill had not had a "grandfather clause" that's exactly what would have happenned.

Happenned in California, didn't it?

They had to register them, not surrender them, so no it didn't happen like that in California.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would agree with you to an extent, however, it is common and accepted with gun historians that the term 'assault rifle' is used for select fire rifles/carbines that were used to assault positions during and after WWII.  I think, IIRC, that the first one would have been the German MP44.  I am not saying it is right or it is wrong, just that it is a term that is used.  However, I completely agree  that the AR-15 is not an assault rifle (that is what I was saying with my post above).

n.

b. The concluding stage of an attack in which close combat occurs with the enemy.

It's used as an adjective in the term "assault rifle". It further describes the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

n.

It's used as an adjective in the term "assault rifle". It further describes the rifle.

True, but nouns are commonly/properly used as adjectives in english grammar - even though in the dictionary they are not classified as adjectives.  example: community college or hockey team.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:15:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn, I leave you guys alone for a whille and here you are taling about grammer.   What the hell?

The AWB is currently a past participle.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#16]
The biggest concern for the future I'd think will being able to afford the 'tax' on aw's since IMO the only ruling that will ever stick will look like the SBR and classIII laws...

Those of us with many aw's may get pinched financially in the end... With the Internet (thanks Al!) we should be able to fight it for years to come though.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When the assault rifle ban is re-enacted, which it will[...]

JBTJBTJBTJBTJBTJBTJBTJBTJBTJBTJBTJBTJBTJBTJBTJBTJBTJBTJBTJBT
JBT = jack-booted thug
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top