Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 3:21:50 PM EDT
Heya peeps, my bolt carrier key on my frakengun M1S bolt assembly is jiggly after 400 rounds or so.  Didn't have any problems firing today (no hiccups to date).  But being slighter smarter than your average bear, I am thinking that it is a problem.  In a near brand new part, should I send it back to m1s for repair / replacement?

Thanks for your time Gazukull.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Also, what kinda crazy ass tool do I need to screw those screws in, none of my allen keys fit.  Altho I dont have an extensive set.  Thanks again !

- Gazukull
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#2]
9/64 allen on most
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont just tighten it up as itll loosen up again. Heres what to do...Loosen the allen bolts, apply RED loctite to the threads on both allen bolts, tighten and stake with a punch.. Or a screwdriver ( punch is best but a screwdriver will work)...Shouldnt shoot while its loose like that..

John
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Tighten and stake the screws. That should keep it from coming loose again.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
9/64 allen on most

Or 1/8 if it's got Colt or milspec screws
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info guys, I am just glad I noticed it.  Gunna get me some red loctite tommarow!

- gazukull!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#7]
What is a Peeps? Should I be offended? YOu calling me a Pecker or Somethin?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Peeps are those marshmallow things you get on easter.  Shaped like ducks or other things.  And on halloween, they're shaped like black cats and what not.  You know...peeps.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

People
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#11]
ok, super n00b question, how does one go about staking?  In my assembly book, it says to stake it, but not exactly what that entails.  I am thinking there is a guide online someplace if anyone knows the wherabouts, I did a search earlier with no luck.

- Gazzy!
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is how to do it..

1) loosen bolts
2) apply red Loctite to threads
3) cinch down as tight as humanly possible.. ( dont break your allen key though)
4) place the punch in the gap between the allen bolt and the carrier. Picture this.. You have cinched down the bolts tightly. When the allen bolt is seated, and you are looking down at it, there is a small gap between the head of allen bolt, and the hole where it went in thru the carrier. Place the tip of the punch in this gap and whack the piss out of it ONE time. Do this operation two times per allen bolt on opposite sides. ie. You have a punch mark at 3 and 9 o'clock, two marks on each allen head bolt.

Email me and Ill send you a pic if you need it..

John
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#13]
The purpose of staking is to create a deformity (sp?) between the screw and the carrier so the screw is "packed" or "staked" into place.  

Maybe that will help you visualize the process better.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:12:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

People

Metro_Sexual for People....I live near Seattle, Im not gay ( But my boyfriend is!)
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#15]
IM sent!  Again thanks for the information and help!

- Gazukull
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:25:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
frakengun M1S bolt assembly

Methinks I've identified the problem.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Yah, the probs you always read with M1S are 1) Lower Parts Kits 2) Bolt assemblies - since this was my first build, I figured if I had a problem with either it would be easy enough to work through them if they in fact happened.  Everypoll that has been on here, has mostly been favorable for M1S, so I gambled.  I might add, I did two kits at the same time, the A-2 has been fine to date, we shall see at 15,000 rounds :p.

- Gazukull
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Here is how to do it..

1) loosen bolts
2) apply red Loctite to threads
3) cinch down as tight as humanly possible.. ( dont break your allen key though)
4) place the punch in the gap between the allen bolt and the carrier. Picture this.. You have cinched down the bolts tightly. When the allen bolt is seated, and you are looking down at it, there is a small gap between the head of allen bolt, and the hole where it went in thru the carrier. Place the tip of the punch in this gap and whack the piss out of it ONE time. Do this operation two times per allen bolt on opposite sides. ie. You have a punch mark at 3 and 9 o'clock, two marks on each allen head bolt.

Email me and Ill send you a pic if you need it..

John

John thanks for the pic plus info.  I got the stuff today and staked the bolt.  I wont get a chance to fire until next weekend, so the loctite should get good and solid.  

Thanks much all, I think the carrier will be far sturdier than when I started!

- Gazukull
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Right on..
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top