Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 6:14:56 PM EDT
Is there a trick to removing the reciever extension from the lower? I am replacing my Bushmaster "stubby" entry stock with a standard 6 position collapsable stock.

At the end of the receiver extension, where the butt screw goes, there is place to grab with a wrench... that is where I apply torque to unscrew the entension right?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, that's it; just stick a wrench on it twist away, although it's liable to be on pretty tight.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yep, that's it; just stick a wrench on it twist away, although it's liable to be on pretty tight.

It is extreamly tight... my first attempt resulted in nearly stripping the nut area...I am little scared now... I might try putting it in the freezer for a few minutes before I try again... I supposed to turn counter clockwise to remove, right?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Hank,

They can be very tight at times.

Application of a penetrating solvent like Kroil, and then spot chilling of the extension can be helpfull.

There is a product on the market for janitors called "Gum solv" that is essentially nothing more than CO2 , used for removing gum (Freeze, clobber with hammer and vaccum)in a shag carpet.

The stuff works great for spot freezing.

Another product that works well is Radio shack "Dust remover spray" that is used on computer Key boards and the like.

Turn the can upside down so the liquid content comes out, and apply directly to the area behind the reciever.

INSTANT frozen!!!!

Combined with Kroil that has been allowed to soak into the threads for 30 min, I have yet to have one fight so as that I have given up.

Best of luck!

S-28
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:35:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Freezer should help, if not try heat and remember righty tighty, lefty lucy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Took mine off my Bushy last week.  No loctite was found, but it was a real bitch.  If you have a CAR stock wrench with the hole for the standard tube try this method, it worked great for me.  You could probably use a regular wrench too.

Remove stock and spacer.

place wrench on floor, preferably carpeted.

Take lower and insert end of buffer tube into wrench

Step on both side of CAR wrench (or middle of regular wrench) to stabilize.

Apply firm pressure to lower to twist buffer tube off.

Once I broke mine loose, it came off easily by hand.

Sarge
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all for the suggestions....

I baked the lower in the oven at 300 degrees for 15 mins... after about 5 minutes, I noticed an odor that smelled like locite... i.e. smelled like burnt automobile clutch. I then let the lower cool to room temp and then I used S-28's dust remover suggestion to instantly freeze the components.

I applied a pair of vice grips and held down the lower with my foot and turned... it came off very easily.

Thanks again!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top