BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2004 12:24:42 PM EDT
Ever see a pic of someone's rifle and think "that is exactly how I WOULDN'T set mine up"?

As I was looking through the pics thread I thought of the parts & pieces we all like to use, and how to an outsider one rifle would look identical to another, but that to us look worlds apart.  So, what is your ideal and un-ideal kit of parts?  Let's keep this to standard 20", M4, and SPR.  If you can think of another conventional "style" that I left out feel free to post it.  Try to stick to parts that aren't considered shit.  No fair posting "Tacpoint on an Olympic with a Fobus rail etc."

My ideal M4
16" upper w/ M4 feedramp cuts & Gemtech Bilock
GG&G MAD BUIS
Aimpoint
Larue Aimpoint mount
Magpul 93A stock
Tango Down pistol Grip
Troy MRF
Knight's vert fore grip
550 cord on the bottom of the mags

My Un-ideal M4
14.5" upper w/out M4 feedramp cuts & Phantom FS
KAC BUIS
Eotech
Vltor stock
A2 pistol grip
SIR
Tango Down vert fore grip
Magpul on the bottom of the mags
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Just speaking generally, I get a kick out of the weight-saving carbines with 40lbs of accessories...

...and in that same light, the 20 (and up) inchers with collapsible stocks. I could never figure that one out. But hey, God Bless America, build to your hearts content.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Flat-top dissy with an A2 stock.
Flat-top dissies in general.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Any carbine with under 14.5'' barrel with A2 sights.

At that point, I can't justify NOT having EOTechs or Aimpoints... the distance between rear and front sight is just too awkward, in my humble opinion, with this length barrel.

Regardless, what someone builds up suits them... and im sure it is better than my ARs due to my financial issues.  I'm not going to piss on someone for custimizing their own rifle.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Any carbine with A2 sights or an HBAR barrel.

Other than that it's all pretty cool.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Any AR is a good AR, but my personal preference is for the carry handle. I know I'm in the minority here, though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Ideal:

Un-Ideal:
16" barrels
Muzzle Brakes of any kind
Carry Handles or anything with a thumbscrew protruding off the side
coventional slings
Scopes greater than 4X power
Visible lasers (weight doesn't equal the benefits IMHO)
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

-A2 stocks, even on a 20"  Why wouldn't you want a collapsable?  

I'd take a tele-stock over an A2, but there are advantages to having a fixed stock. Especially with the choices in LOP available today.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#9]
In reference to collapsibles on 20":

Hey, to each his own, but I think a collapsible stock on a 20" is like a trailer hitch on a vette. It's a mixture of "purpose." If you want something compact, build a carbine. If you want a full-size A2 why suffer with a tactical stock?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Hey, to each his own, but I think a collapsible stock on a 20" is like a trailer hitch on a vette. It's a mixture of "purpose." If you want something compact, build a carbine. If you want a full-size A2 why suffer with a tactical stock?

What about the people that shoot their collapible stocks 1 or 2 notches collapsed because thats where they get their 'nose to the handle' ? I agree it looks goofy, and the balance is off on the ones I've hefted... but to each his own....
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Anything with a TacPoint.   j/k
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Perfect rifle add-ons: Anything I currently have on it.

Suck-ass rifle add-ons: Stuff I just took off.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Ideal M4:
16" 1 in 7 twist chrome lined barrel
A3 upper
SOPMOD stock.
FF rail system (currently I am leaning toward the Troy MRF-C)
BUIS (Preferably with both windage AND elevation-probably chopped carry handle.  And none of that folding crap neither, maybe on an SPR, but not on my M4)
Aimpoint M2 in either a LaRue or ARMS mount
MAYBE a KKF gas piston, after I get the other stuff  

Ideal 20"
20' 1 in 7 twist SS barrel
1/4x1/4 MOA sights with built in corrective lens
Jewell trigger
CMP style FF tube

UnIdeal rifle:
16" 1 in 9 chrome moly Hesse with A1 sights ( I use 77 gr SMK's 99% of the time)
FOBUS rail
and a BSA/Tasco red dot or a Tacpoint  

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Ideal:

MRP w/ 16" chrome 6.8
MSTN quiet brake
Troy front BUIS
KAC 600m rear BUIS
TA11 ACOG
KAC front grip
LMT lower
Good single stage trigger
M93A or later model stock
Side sling

Just waiting on LMT to make the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Norman:

You might want to re-think that GG&G MADD. It's a well thought out design but if you look at one you'll notice that there is an awful lot of metal on either side of the aperture. SMGLee warned me about this but, like an asshat, I didn't listen. All that metal around the aperture means that your entire field of view is restricted to what you see through the aperture; not a particularly desirable state of affairs considering the M-4's strongest suit is up close inter-personal conflict resolution.

I swapped mine out for a LaRue fixed rear sight and I've been extremely satisified with the arrangement. It works real good. It's the cat's ass.

Luck,

SD

PS Did I mention that the Larue BUIS works real good?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Norman:

You might want to re-think that GG&G MADD. It's a well thought out design but if you look at one you'll notice that there is an awful lot of metal on either side of the aperture. SMGLee warned me about this but, like an asshat, I didn't listen. All that metal around the aperture means that your entire field of view is restricted to what you see through the aperture; not a particularly desirable state of affairs considering the M-4's strongest suit is up close inter-personal conflict resolution.

I swapped mine out for a LaRue fixed rear sight and I've been extremely satisified with the arrangement. It works real good. It's the cat's ass.

Luck,

SD

PS Did I mention that the Larue BUIS works real good?

I've had the MAD for 5+ years now and been using it as my primary sight that whole time.  I'm pretty familiar with it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I have multiple ideals...

My varmint rifle is definitely running off down a different path than that of my 14.5 inch rifle.

My ideal for close in work, without the bayonet(simply had to take a picture of a bayonet on a rifle now that my Post94 gun is a NoBan rifle).

And my ideal long range varmint rifle provided you are in a spot where you don't have to do much walking, seeming how she weighs in at 15 pounds unloaded.   This is how the rifle is basically configured, it went through a refinish and I had to do something about the metal handguards being cold in winter and hot in summer so it got a paracord wrap(before it was trendy even .

I suppose my unideal would be any AR for which I don't have ammo...

About the only thing I don't like are vertical pistol grips.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I would agree with you except when it comes to the Magpul 93. That stock is so solid and the adjustable length of pull just makes it easier to adjust to different shooting positions. An A2 stock is good for the prone, but not ideal for others.

Anyway, I get a kick out of 20" with pistol grips, but I can't knock anything that helps the operator shoot better or at least with better confidence, no matter how obsurd it is to me. I just can't stand the guys that load up their rifle with a towering mass of cheap chinese knockoff crap.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Unideal: any gun with a cast fsb...

Other than that, do what you want.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Dislikes:

- SS barrels that are not matte or painted
-Badger tac-latches--they ruin your upper
- 16" barrels-they look like pinnochio!!!  UNLESS you do the midlength FF foreend/lowprofile gasblock thing.
-3-point slings
-A2 stocks, even on a 20"  Why wouldn't you want a collapsable?  

I agree with all your points except the 20" with a collapsable. I tried it on my 20" gov't profile A2, it just didn't feel right. But then again it was one of those cheap Fiberite ones. Maybe a VLTOR or MAGPUL stock would have been better...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I honestly don't care how someone else sets up their weapon.  If it makes them happy, what difference should it make to me?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Hmmmm.......bayonet!

Quoted:
I have multiple ideals...

My varmint rifle is definitely running off down a different path than that of my 14.5 inch rifle.

My ideal for close in work, without the bayonet(simply had to take a picture of a bayonet on a rifle now that my Post94 gun is a NoBan rifle).

home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/misc/evilupthatrifle.jpg

And my ideal long range varmint rifle provided you are in a spot where you don't have to do much walking, seeming how she weighs in at 15 pounds unloaded.   This is how the rifle is basically configured, it went through a refinish and I had to do something about the metal handguards being cold in winter and hot in summer so it got a paracord wrap(before it was trendy even .

home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/jpar/oldcomp.jpg

I suppose my unideal would be any AR for which I don't have ammo...

About the only thing I don't like are vertical pistol grips.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Ideal:

SELECT FIRE

Un-Ideal:

AirSoft parts on a Real Gun.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Tacpoint on an Olympic with a Fobus rail etc."

Dude, that's my plinker. No Fobus though, I used a First Samco rail.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Huge flashlights on an AR are a real laugh.
Decorative slings are a real laugh, and very gay.
Muti color AR's are very gay, unless your in the middle of a dam war in a desert or jungle.
Fake suppresors on an AR are a real laugher.
Please stop decorating your AR's like a dam christmas tree.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#28]
This stuff sucks:

Black stocks

HBar

FF tubes covered with rails

Rail covers

M4 profile (ass backwards) barrels

A2 rear sights

A2 Gov't  profile barrels

A2 length buttstocks

A2 pistol grips

And, WORST OF ALL: 14.5" barrels (if they have permanently attached flash hiders/brakes)

Good things:

20" ARs with telestocks

Mini Y-comp

Phantom

VLTOR

TangoDown Battle grip & vertical foregrip

KAC 600m BUIS

ACOG TA-31F

Aimpoint

CavArms C-4 handguards, C-1 buttstock (Green or Coyote)

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd like a flat top 20" AR with BUIS and an ACOG.

I'm a pretty simple type of person, I guess.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Black stocks? WTF? You mean like 95% of collapsible stocks out there? If you don't like black stocks or A2 stocks, I guess all you have left are A1 and the short entry stocks. Aren't you being a bit too picky?

Good things:
My AR (once I'm done with it)

Bad things:
Everyone else's
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't own one, but I will say that a 20" with a collapsible stock might look kinda silly to some of you, but when it comes to function, I would use a 20" with a collapsible stock!  Some of us don't have the benefit of being Amazonian size and our reach is shorter.  It is more accurate for me to have a shorter adjustable stock.  It is all a matter of what is comfortable and personal preference.

All AR's are beautiful to me, even plain Jane ones!  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Black stocks are primitive relics from the early days of plastic.

They made the plastic black because it was easy to do so and Black was considered to be "normal".

However, Black is a color not found in Nature and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Polymer can be produced in any color now. So why stay with Black? Conservatism? Lack of imagination? BECAUSE IT LOOKS "COOL"?

Get your heads out of the 1960s.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Ever see a pic of someone's rifle and think "that is exactly how I WOULDN'T set mine up"?

Every time I see somebody with a gun that's got a whole toolbox full of crap bolted to it...

It's a rifle, not a swiss-army-knife...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Black this, black that, rant rant rant.

Sorry to learn you're so d@mn bigoted.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:21:08 AM EDT
[#35]
HBARs
Heavy Rail systems
Forearms that have a rail that covers the upper reciever
uncoverd rails or ladder panels used as primary covers
Tango Down front or rear grips
GGG MAD
Ambi selector
Badger tac latch
Extended A2 flash hiders
Any stock but a Magpul
RRA triggers
G2 / Fobus light set up
non railed foreends
Aimpoint 2X
Magpuls put on the intended way instead of sideways
Colt lowers
Slab sided lowers
barrels over 14.5"
stainless barrels
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:25:33 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
This stuff sucks:

Black stocks

HBar

Rail covers

A2 rear sights

A2 length buttstocks

A2 pistol grips

And, WORST OF ALL: 14.5" barrels (if they have permanently attached flash hiders/brakes)

the fuck?  You don't like Hbar, you don't like M4 profile barrels, you don't like A2 profil barrels, wtf do you like?

And black stocks?

Sounds like you just hate the AR.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:11:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I have always wondered about these. Why does someone buy carbine that has been radically modufied to have a longer sight radius and then get a flat top with an optic? All the liability of the dissy with none of the advantage.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#38]
yup, but to each his own
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:38:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This stuff sucks:

Black stocks

HBar

Rail covers

A2 rear sights

A2 length buttstocks

A2 pistol grips

the fuck?  You don't like Hbar, you don't like M4 profile barrels, you don't like A2 profil barrels, wtf do you like?

And black stocks?

Sounds like you just hate the AR.

He likes to Krylon his ARs in hot pink. That way it looks less "intimidating" and "evil".
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:51:36 AM EDT
[#40]
My ideal AR-15.  

An unperfect AR-15.  One that doesn't work.  

Colt_SBR
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:53:36 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have always wondered about these. Why does someone buy carbine that has been radically modufied to have a longer sight radius and then get a flat top with an optic? All the liability of the dissy with none of the advantage.

Less exposed barrel to burn your ass.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:59:39 AM EDT
[#42]
The Dissy is a great concept.  Full lenth handguards and a longer sight radius....what's not to like!  Add a telestock and a red dot optic and you've got yourself a winner.  What I think is stupid on a dissy is when I see "preban" versions with a threaded barrel and a bayonet lug less than 2 inches from the muzzle.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:20:43 AM EDT
[#43]
This is my third M4 type but my first real serious build.  The only thing I would change would be a MRE type rail system, but that sort of defeats the M4 look, so this one stays as is.  The MRE will go on one of my 16" Bushy 1/7 barrels I have.  I like it alot.  Ideal, I don't know, as ideal is user dependent.  An ideal weapon for a 6'5" 250lb muscle head wouldn't be ideal for a 5'6" slim type.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:28:48 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm trying to figure out why people put Bi-pods on 16" rifles
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:42:02 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The Dissy is a great concept.  Full lenth handguards and a longer sight radius....what's not to like!  Add a telestock and a red dot optic and you've got yourself a winner.  What I think is stupid on a dissy is when I see "preban" versions with a threaded barrel and a bayonet lug less than 2 inches from the muzzle.

The lug I could take or leave, but the threaded barrel for the FS is a good idea IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's also embarassing to have stuff melt to your barrel after a string of fire.  Right now, I've done a sling, a bright-blue tarp, and the foam in my gun case.

Wes @ MSTN says the DD 9.0 FSB is popular in the "sandbox" because the shooters are tired of the distinctive triangle-shaped brand the front sight base leaves on things like legs and arms.

My unperfect AR:
Unreliable, inaccurate.
Weird part dimensions (coughColtcough).
Cast, A1 lower with odd tolerances.
A screw on the front pivot pin.
20" HBAR (.98" under handguards), 1/9" or 1/12" twist, 4140 steel, unchromed barrel, 223 chamber, over-torqued into receiver extension
A2 sight which needs lots of left windage, A2 stock, all-plastic buffer.
Cast FSB, canted left.
AK74-style muzzle break
plastic railed handguards.
off-brand, flimsy steel magazine, already rusting.
PSG-1 knockoff pistolgrip.
A light mounted on the barrel or FSB next to a laser sight.
Cheap 3x9 Scope with three or four rail adaptors between it and the carry handle.

Sad thing is, save the PSG-1 grip and laser,  I could assemble this from parts .

I totally dislike the M4 profile as well.  The meat is in the wrong place.  Take all that .71" stuff from the muzzle and put it under the handguards.  Working on a semi-custom one for myself.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's also embarassing to have stuff melt to your barrel after a string of fire.  Right now, I've done a sling, a bright-blue tarp, and the foam in my gun case.

Wes @ MSTN says the DD 9.0 FSB is popular in the "sandbox" because the shooters are tired of the distinctive triangle-shaped brand the front sight base leaves on things like legs and arms.

I'm actually trying to order a cabon fiber tube 14" long to  really get things covered.  I'm going to have cooling vents drilled in it along the top.  The barrel should essentially be covered from the receiver forward to the muzzle.  I'm also going to mount it on a Cavarms lower so that won't get hot either.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#48]
onfinite.com/libraries/81703/21a.jpg  

This one is just about perfect!

<3
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:15:21 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
What I think is stupid on a dissy is when I see "preban" versions with a threaded barrel and a bayonet lug less than 2 inches from the muzzle.

How do you attach a flash hider if its not threaded?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:19:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
This is my third M4 type but my first real serious build.  The only thing I would change would be a MRE type rail system, but that sort of defeats the M4 look, so this one stays as is.  The MRE will go on one of my 16" Bushy 1/7 barrels I have.  I like it alot.  Ideal, I don't know, as ideal is user dependent.  An ideal weapon for a 6'5" 250lb muscle head wouldn't be ideal for a 5'6" slim type.

tinypic.com/57hbq

Curious as to why you have a fixed BUIS but a folding style front sight?   Nice rifle though!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top