BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 10:38:14 AM EDT
Hi there,

I'm looking to buy the 'ultimate AR15'

I don't really know what exactly to look for, I just like the gun itself and would like some advice on what exactly to look for: Model, year, features, $$ etc.

Doing some research between $800 and $1500 should do it, am I right with that?

Please help, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]
what use are you planning for it?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#3]
topgunpilot20 basically just have some fun with it, shoot it here and then, take it apart and put it back together, buy one or the other upgrade and so on. No serious competition shooting, at least not yet.
I sure would like a pre-ban AR15, the 3-shot-burst type is not available to the public, right?

Thanks, Hans
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
topgunpilot20 basically just have some fun with it, shoot it here and then, take it apart and put it back together, buy one or the other upgrade and so on. No serious competition shooting, at least not yet.
I sure would like a pre-ban AR15, the 3-shot-burst type is not available to the public, right?

Thanks, Hans

What is this pre-ban you speak of?  No such thing anymore.  You want a rifle with Flash supressor and Bayonet lug and possilby a telestock...

3 Shot burst IS availabe providing:
1) You live in a state that allows Class 3
2) You fill out the BATF paperwork, fingerprints, get approved by the local CLEO, and pay your $200 tax
3) You don't mind spending $10,000 for a pre-'86 AR-15/M-16
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hi there,

I'm looking to buy the 'ultimate AR15'

I don't really know what exactly to look for, I just like the gun itself and would like some advice on what exactly to look for: Model, year, features, $$ etc.

Doing some research between $800 and $1500 should do it, am I right with that?

Please help, thanks!

Really you should be able to find something nice for under $1000, for your first AR15 variant.

Avoid Vulcan Arms and Century Arms, and be wary of used AR15 variants. Many individuals will build AR15 type rifles on name brand stripped receivers, but you may never know what parts they used, maybe quality, maybe not. I would stick with a new first rifle unless you want to build your own, at least until you get familiar with the various components and the quality parts needed for a good AR.

Lots of good makers out there like Armalite, Colt, Bushmaster, RRA, Fulton, DS ARms, DPMS etc, etc.

If  you ask about a specific brand on the board, most owners will be happy to relate their experiences, but bear in mind some are biased towards one brand or another so don't get put off by discussions you may see. for instance I now demand a chrome lined bore and chamber for all my barrels, but not everyone does(they are more resistant to corrosion and easier to clean)

Don't worry about getting a 3-shot burst or full auto unless you have $12,000 or so to spare and like waiting months for paperwork to be processed.

Since you live in Florida now you can buy a rifle with all the no-ban features, since the ban has expired.
(threaded muzzle, flash hider, collapsible stock, bayonet lug), so be wary of vendors selling rifles without those features at full price, unless they are a specialty rifle that would not have them anyway, like a varmint rifle with a bull barrel.

Just don't rush into anything and take anything a gun counter salesman says about ARs with a grain of salt. Many will tell you erroneous information just to make a sale from what they have in inventory.

Think about what kind of shooting you would like to do, and go from there.

Good luck and welcome.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top