Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 6:49:40 PM EDT
who has experience w/ these?

i'm thinking about getting one and want to know how well they work.

i know you must use premium .22 ammo (read full copper jacket) to not gum up the gas ports.

i'm wondering about bbl tolerences....won't the .223 bbl be a lil too big for .22 ammo?

all feedback is appreciated, i just want to know your experiences w/ these conversions, the accuracy, the cleaning issues etc.  also, are other models of these conversions as good or better, or is the ciener the best?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
does it dirty it up real fast? like after how many rounds?  have you had problems w/ gas system blockage?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Love mine. Cheap to shoot, and great for beginning shooters.

The main problem I think people have with them, is with mags. It's generally a feed lip issue, and is resolved by simply tweaking them a little bit.

As far as the gumming up the gas system, I've always been told that dumping some rapid fire with regular ammo through it cleans it out.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#5]
well if the ports were indeed blocked, wouldn't it be dangourous to fire regular ammo thru it, or would the action just not cycle?

also what about bbl tolerances?  is the .223 bbl too big for the .22? will it damage the bore because it is not tight enough?  is it accurate?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
no, not too fast, but a lot of people use one of my rifles with the .22 kit and at times it goes for long periods of time and a lot of rounds before it gets cleaned. Never had a problem with the gas tube.

I would like to think I inspired you, since you have my original one.  That particular mag ran unbelieveably well, but I got tired of loading it all the time, so I upgraded to the 30 rounders.    

I have run quite literally thousands and thousands of Remington Golden Bullets ($8.60 for 550 of 'em at Walmart) through my Ciener kit over the last two years, in a variety of rifles.  The kit ran a little different in each gun, but always mellowed out after a few uses.  Nothing attracts the attention of a small indoor range like a guy burning through 30 round mags in a pimped out AR, and nothing excites the chicks like the small neon circle of a Shoot-N-See that they have carved out on their first time at the range.  Plus, those 30 rounders give NAG mag envy.  It's about the only AR item I have that outshines his own.

Edited to add: Never had a problem switching back to .223.  Those first few rounds really clean the gas tube out.  And I use cheap, dirty .22.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:09:43 AM EDT
[#7]
one more question.....are the 10 and 30 round mags interchangable through kits?  i.e. if i buy a kit w/ a ten rounder, could i later go out and get a 30 rounder and it would work? thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#8]
btt......

anybody else w/ opinions on these?

i still want to know about bbl clearences....are these accurate and do they mess up bbls seeing that the the bullet won't seal up as tight with a .22 as it would w/ a .223?

also will kitrs sold w/ 10 rounder clips also work w/ 30 rounders?

is it just a diff in magazine capacity or is the kit actually different between 10 and 30 round kits?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#10]
do you think there will be  a problem w/ me using a standard 1/9 either in my 20" bushy or 16" oly?

thunderbolt?!? no shhet!  remy tbolt is my fav .22 ammo, but i figured it would be too dirty to put through the ar.  i was prolly gonna use premium copper jacket .22, ie 20$ for 500 vs. $10 for 500

also, can you put .22 mags or hornet thru em?  i know it would be dependent on the magazine, but is it possible and does anyone make a kit?

how bout shorts and longs, and cb?

or is it strictly a 22LR conversion?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got one and have used in my 16" Bushy A3 HBAR with no problem.   I've used CCI Stingers, CCI MiniMags, CCI GreenTag, CCI Standard Velocity, and CCI Subsonic  through it all without any problems.   The most accurate stuff is the CCI subsonic, with the green tag close behind.   I usually shoot one or two hundred .22s through, and then put 20 rds of XM193 through it to clear out any crud  out of the gas tube.

When I first got it, it wasn't very reliable - it kept throwing .22 brass up into the area occupied by the charging handle/gas tube.   I found that the mag sat just slightly too high, and was acting as an "ejector" of sorts and kicking the empty casings up before they got to the real ejector.   A minute or so with a fine file on the magazine cured that problem and it's been good to go ever since.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#12]
My runs great but I do have that worry with lead plugging up my gas port or tube... So I shot my with an 16" Colt 1/7 barrel without the FSB.  

Not a good shot by any means, but I can put almost all 30 shots into a 12" metal plate at 200 yards with a cheap copy of Colt 4x scope.  At 100 yard, all 30 shots can group in 10 ring.  And I shoot cheap Walmart 22s.

I also find mine to have better group after few hundred rounds.  

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top