Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 5:39:26 PM EDT
anybody know much about them and are they easily scopeable, i have a rimfire scope that came with a gamo air rifle i bought a couple years ago., and if i buy the plinker i'd like to mount that until i can get something better, or is this gun going to be about as acurate as an AK, in wich case i'll probably get an AK
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Look at it as the difference between a 22B and a regular RS...

Which would you rather have?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I personally would not get the plinker. The receivers are cast and they just dont seem of that great of quality. Now just recently they replaced the Plinker with the Plinker Plus. The Plinker Plus now has both receivers made with Forged Aluminum. I think it would make a decent rifle for a first time AR considering the price.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, one set back in regards to your question. I dont think its available with an A3 flat top upper with the removable handle. Its still scopable but it requires a weird mount.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Which would you rather have?hr

is that between a really nice ar15 and  the plinker, ot the plinker and a AK, cuase i'd drive an RS over the camry i'm driving any day
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]
oops double post
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Which would you rather have?

TS.  It's silver.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are going to use it for "plinking" ie shooting for fun.  I think it is a ok rifle to get.

If you plan to use it in any self defense or tac shooting save for a "good" AR.  

One thing to remeber is that the 223 Rem knockdown power reduces much faster than an AK, and it is effected by wind much more.  In other words you may be able to hit what you are aiming for, but it may not do much dammage.

I must also say that there is nothing wrong with an AK.  I have many ARs (3 I built), but when the shit hits the fan I will grab my AK. Ammo is VERY cheep, and it is easy to clean (which is almost optional).  The down side is that the AK is not as accurate.

hope this helps
natty
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Owe yea an AR is easier to scope than an AK
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I was on Oly's site recently - the plinker is now ALL forged, no more cast receivers. Good move on their part. the price is still the low $599. (for that price I would build an AR, but hey, some want a ready built weapon).
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
One thing to remeber is that the 223 Rem knockdown power reduces much faster than an AK, and it is effected by wind much more.  In other words you may be able to hit what you are aiming for, but it may not do much dammage.

You should consider reading the ammo oracle.  Knock down power is generally irrelevant when discussing 5.56 and 7.62 ballistics.  The yaw and fragmentation effect of the 5.56 bullet is what makes it an effective round.  The range at which the bullet will fragment depends on several factors.  These factors include which 5.56 round you are using (not all perform well), and length of barrel.

The 5.56 round is a superior performer to any 7.62 round generally available as long as you are within the 5.56 rounds fragmentation range.  Past the 5.56 rounds fragmentation range both the 7.62x39 and the 5.56 round are relatively poor performers.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top