Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 5:40:54 PM EDT
This ar build is snowballing bad. What started as a tactical build has gone acuuracy varmint build.
Leaning very hard towards a Krieger barrel. Any one got one? How do you like it and do you have any pics of your groups??  I am ready to get this done and do some shooting. Obermeyer and Krieger seem to rise to the top as far as the upper end barrels. Douglas and Wilson below that . Since I am new to AR's I want and read all the info I can find. Want to build it right the first time and then enjoy it! Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats funny... Mine started out as  CMP rifle build and ended up as an M4...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are new to AR's, get a Douglas barrel; when you can out shoot it, then go for a custom barrel.  I'm partial to Lilja barrels (thrown out there just to add something else for you to research).
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Read several other lists about obermeyers and lilja.  Of all the shooters that owned lilja and krieger, the krieger's had better consistincey. Couple guys said that their lilja's poi  changed slightly as the barrels heated up and their kriegers did not. Krieger seems to be the only one cryo treating both before and after rifling. May be wrong on that. Don't get me wrong , I am not knocking Lilja, they seem to be at the top as well. Personally I have never had any of them, that is why I am trying to research and find people with firsthand experience. Thanks for replying!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:18:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Kriegers are extemely nice barrels, accurate and well done.  You can't go wrong with one of them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I don’t know how Lilja barrels are rifled, but I do know that Krieger barrels are single point cut riffled; the most difficult way to rifle the barrel also yielding the most accurate barrel.

In talking to several shooters and riflesmiths at Camp Perry; Krieger is definitely at the top of the pile as far as production barrels go. There were a few shooters I chatted with that were using barrels I had never heard of before. A couple of the shooters from Oregon and Washington were saying the barrels by John Benjamin are far and above even Krieger’s tubes.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you are new to AR's, get a Douglas barrel; when you can out shoot it, then go for a custom barrel.  I'm partial to Lilja barrels (thrown out there just to add something else for you to research).

I love BS replies like this.  Build the rifle you want and who cares about what the posers here think.  If you are looking at either Krieger or Obermeyer you obviously know more about accurate rifles than most newbies.  I have a Douglass XX air gauged 24" fluted barrel and upper built by Accuracy Speaks and it's extremely nice.  My brother has a Kreiger 20" threaded HBAR and it is very nice as well.  The key is to work up the best load for your particular barrel.  It can be frustrating but it's a lot of fun once you start making progress.

Personally, I'd love to see you get with Boots Obermeyer and give us a report as to how it works out for you.  I know lots of long range shooters can't say enough about his barrels.

Are you going to assemble the upper yourself or have it done?  There are a few tricks that I'd want to have done as in match bolt, chamber and lapping the receiver.  Lots of people don't worry about any of that but if you're going to make the investment in a top shelf barrel you want the upper true.  Or at least I would.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#7]
newarguy's SPR... krieger barrel...  crazy

oh below is @ 600yd

This is a link to another forum...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Have a friend that has the Krieger barrel and loves it.  Have a co-worker that has a RRA 24" varminter upper, tuned his ammo, and is supposedly shooting 1/4" groups; he loves it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love BS replies like this.  Build the rifle you want and who cares about what the posers here think.  If you are looking at either Krieger or Obermeyer you obviously know more about accurate rifles than most newbies.  I have a Douglass XX air gauged 24" fluted barrel and upper built by Accuracy Speaks and it's extremely nice.  My brother has a Kreiger 20" threaded HBAR and it is very nice as well.  The key is to work up the best load for your particular barrel.  It can be frustrating but it's a lot of fun once you start making progress.

Personally, I'd love to see you get with Boots Obermeyer and give us a report as to how it works out for you.  I know lots of long range shooters can't say enough about his barrels.

Are you going to assemble the upper yourself or have it done?  There are a few tricks that I'd want to have done as in match bolt, chamber and lapping the receiver.  Lots of people don't worry about any of that but if you're going to make the investment in a top shelf barrel you want the upper true.  Or at least I would.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

+1

Build the gun that you feel will be as accurate as you want it to be. Don't give yourself any reason to blame your gun because if your gun isn't perfect for you, I don't think you'll ever shoot as well as you can out of it (I'm also a trap and skeet shooter where that is true even more so than other shooting sports). Spend the money on the grip, the stock, the barrel, and the handguards you want. In the end, you will have spent less money than if you went out and bought a gun that you didn't want and changed out half the parts.
Krieger's some good stuff though. I'm in the same boat as you, my tactical build turned into a light weight sniper platform, mainly because I decided to go for a stainless barrel rather than a chrome-moly.

Buying an expensive gun or an expensive barrel is like buying a sports car. On all practical levels, you may not necesarily need the 400 hp under your hood but damn do you feel good knowing it's there.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#10]
+1
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the replys!! Why would I want to spend good money on a barrel and "shoot up to it" then finally get what I want!! You will end up spending more money in the long run.

I ordered my barrel from Krieger last week. Talked to them on the phone for a good long time hammering down what I wanted and what would be a good combo for me. They offer 2 chambers,
a 5.56 MATCH chamber and a 2.23 chamber. I  will use this for varmints and  tack driving so I do not want to be limited to match ammo .

I ordered the 223 variety in a 24 inch large od bull barrel. They are bead blasting the barrel to take the shine off. As soon as my upper assembly gets here from Ameetec ( ???) I have to send it to Kreieger. They are going to assemble and fit  it. I also got their ful floated handguards.

When I get it I will post pics and pics of the groups! Can't wait. I reload my own shotgun shells so I am looking forward to reloading for this as well. That is about as much fun, working out the loads and doing the "grouping" testing.

Reloading rifle cartridges is new to me so I have some homework to do.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Hello toxic,

With respect to chamber dimensions what does Kreiger mean by "5.56 Match"?

i.e. how does it relate to standard 5.56 or .223?

Thanks,
ddc.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:42:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, the operator is what will need the most work!! But I love to shoot and have shot quite a bit and it irks me to no end to buy a gun and it shoot like crap!! Now I feel confident that when I shoot, it will be me not the gun that causes the "larger" groups. Just like to eliminate all things that I can at first, that way their is no doubt.

great lookiong group by the way. Is anyone elso like me? I save targets and label them as to ammo, distance etc. The realy good ones makes me feel like a kid who just colored in the lines forthe first time and wants to hang it on the fridge!!!

How do you guys measure your groups? Center of bullet holes or outside edge to edge??
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I was curious as to the 5.56 Match Designation as well. From what I understand, the 5.56 match has the 5.56 correct angle at the throat and a better chamber and the deeper throat for longer loaded match ammo. The 223 is SAAMI spec.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#16]

I have a 24" Kreger barreled AR that will make dime sized 5 shot groups at a 100yrds

I had Barry at www.metalcraft-ar15.com build it for me
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Toxic...  I have all my targets from my FN SPR (the .308 bolt gun before someone freaks that I have something from FN).  I like to record basic weather conditions and then when I clean it (or not).  Good log to have...

Someday I'll get into the high end accuracy AR game, not quite yet though...

Spooky
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

How do you guys measure your groups? Center of bullet holes or outside edge to edge??

Groups should be measured center to center.

The easiest way to do this is to measure outside edge to outside edge and subtract the diameter of the bullet you are using. But you probably already knew that....
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I am getting a Krieger upper built right now, should be done in 3 1/2 weeks.  can't wait.  it is also being built by Barry Bowlds @ metalcraft specialties.  Just got done putting my jewell trigger in, and can't wait to get the upper.  Scope will be here tomorrow Leupy 4.5-14 mark 4, m1 turrets,  ill. mil dot ret. ahhhhh toys are fun.  sorry don't have much to inout about them yet, but really excited so had to say something....later on ,  jon
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top