Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 5:01:48 PM EDT
Can you swap these between uppers?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Most honest answer: Maybe

It depends on the wear.  Check the head spacing on the bolt. See if there is unusual wear on the carrier/charging handle.  If not you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
All AR-15 parts are interchangable. All parts should be mil-spec and change from one rifle to another.... except for certain colt parts which are not mil-spec. Colt has non-standard fire control pins and non-standard take down pins on some of their rifles.

You should be just fine with the charging handle, bolt and carrier fitting in any rifle.

Edited: Vinnie is correct... parts that have become out of spec due to excessive wear may not fit exactly right.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Carriers can be swapped between rifles just not the Bolt.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
So I probably shouldn't be a cheapass and buy a new bolt/carrier/handle for my new upper.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So I probably shouldn't be a cheapass and buy a new bolt/carrier/handle for my new upper.

Honestly, eventually you'll end up with another lower, so then you'll have 2 ARs.  It's inevitable.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:00:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Honestly, eventually you'll end up with another lower, so then you'll have 2 ARs. It's inevitable.

I've been there before... and he's right.

Jay
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Carriers can be swapped between rifles just not the Bolt.

Not true.

Assuming all parts are quality, and not worn out, you can swap bolts.

Some places bulk clean AR bolts, so they go back into guns at random.

Getting a headspace guage is probably a good idea if the parts have much wear.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

At least get a new bolt if you are going to switching back and forth between uppers.

The bolt is the critical part, and you should have a spare one anyway
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top