Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 12:37:26 PM EDT
I did not want to jack the XM8 vs. M16 thread already in progress so I thought I would make a new one, what is the curved rail on the XM8 that goes from the top of the handguard to the base of the scope? Also why isnt the XM8 using the pictinny rail system (like the A4 and M4) so it can mount lots of diffrent optics?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#1]
There is reportedly a picatinney rail for it, similar to the one seen on the G36C. HK has labelled the curved rail a "bridge" (?). It isn't possible to have a true flat top because of the cocking handle being there, thus the "bridge", whose only real purpose is to function as a (nonessential) carry handle. An over-emphasis was placed on appearances; the plastic shell casing was purportedly designed by Porsche. Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The ambidexterous, folding cocking handle is underneath the "bridge" and should be protected
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The "bridge" protects the charging handle as stated above.  A flip-up iron rear sight is in the top of that bridge.

The M8 will use the PCAP(designed at Picatinny) attachment for any accessories mounted on the 3:00, 9:00, and 6:00 of the forward grip housing.  It is believed, rightly or wrongly, that this is simpler, and therefore better then the 1913 rail.

should be interesting
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Last night on Mail Call they had a section about the XM8...I was not impressed
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
...RECIPROCATING charging handle...  

-Troy

!?!?!?!

Fucking serious!??!?!

Who's the dumbass who thought that up?? I thought they were supposed to be moving AHEAD, not going back.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top