Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 6:38:40 PM EDT
This is my first post to this board.  Hi all.

I'm somewhat new to the game of AR's-- although I do have a Bushmaster "shorty"-- and of course I have a question.  I'm thinking about getting a Rock River varminter in the AR15.  And with the sunset  of the AWB recently, I would like to get a goody that Big Brother had previously forbid me to have, just to be able to thumb my nose at him, if you know what I mean.

I've decided I wouldn't get a telescoping stock for this rifle, but a flash hider sure sounds appealing.  However, my primary concern is maintaining an accurate rifle (inaccurate ones just frustrate the heck out of me!).  

So, first off, does the act of threading the barrel have a negative affect on the accuracy?  And second, what impact would the flash hider itself have?

Looking forward to the advice.

P.S.  Hasn't a more popular name for a "flash hider" been a "flash suppressor"?  I've seen it referred to numerous times recently as "flash hider".
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
A "flash hider" is a device to shield the shooter's vision from the muzzle flash. You don't see much of these since WWII. The gizmos we use now are referred to as "flash suppressors". They actually stifle the flash.

Threading the barrel and installing a flash hider, if done properly, will have no effect whatsoever on accuracy. But if done improperly.................

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:12:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Someone had a good point in a thread a while back.  The point was that carbon builds up inside the FH/FS and will affect the accuracy.  This makes sence being that I have observed the carbon building up inside my FH/FS in such a way that it can't be cleaned easily unless the FH/FS is removed.  But anyway you slice it if accuracy is your game go with a crowned muzzle so the gasses escape evenly and don't have a chance to affect the path of the bullet.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:17:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Someone had a good point in a thread a while back.  The point was that carbon builds up inside the FH/FS and will affect the accuracy.  This makes sence being that I have observed the carbon building up inside my FH/FS in such a way that it can't be cleaned easily unless the FH/FS is removed.  But anyway you slice it if accuracy is your game go with a crowned muzzle so the gasses escape evenly and don't have a chance to affect the path of the bullet.

+1
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top