Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 8:33:28 PM EDT
I am a left handed shooter and I am bugged a little because the safety switch digs into the base of my trigger finger after a while. Is there a left hand safety on the market or one with the lever moved to another position or another mod I can use?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I put an ambidextrous safety selector on my rifle.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:29:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That gives you the lefty option, but it doesn't get rid of the left side lever digging into your finger.  If it really bothers you, I would suggest you get an ambi safety, and grind the left side lever down a little.  I'm a lefty and even though the lever does ride under my trigger finger, it's not something that bothers me when I shoot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:50:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That gives you the lefty option, but it doesn't get rid of the left side lever digging into your finger.  If it really bothers you, I would suggest you get an ambi safety, and grind the left side lever down a little.  I'm a lefty and even though the lever does ride under my trigger finger, it's not something that bothers me when I shoot.

Who makes the best ambidextrous selector on the market? I'm thinking about building a lower and need to start thinking about this sort of thing.

Also, what about ambidextrous magazine catches? Who makes a good one?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who makes the best ambidextrous selector on the market? I'm thinking about building a lower and need to start thinking about this sort of thing.

Also, what about ambidextrous magazine catches? Who makes a good one?

RRA and DPMS both make ambi safeties levers.  Not sure about the mag catches.  I don't use any lefty specific parts on any of my guns (ecxcept maybe for slings and such) because I want to be familar with the most common form of the weapon.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh for pete's sake, you are making us lefties look bad. Ambi mag release? Who needs one, that's what the thumb on your right hand is for!

And the safety digs into your hand? Has it caused ya to bleed?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#7]
You could always get a ambi selector, and cut the left side off, or shorten it in some way... See the WECSOG Dremel tool chapter..hehehehe
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#10]
For an Ambi-Mag-Catch you can't beat a Norgon
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I traded mine out for the RRA star shaped one and dremelled it down a bit. No problems now.
www.rockriverarms.com/images/pdfs/rrcataug.pdf
Its on page 26
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I just installed a DPMS ambidextrous safety on my Colt 6721; it was $29.95 shipped.  It's nice and solid and took me about 10 minutes to install.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I've tried them all and even though I usually despise DPMS parts their ambidextrous safety is the nicest of the lot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Norgon mag release is the only way to go, along with the DPMS ambi.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I got the DPMS ambi, HATE it.

Yeah, now I can operate the safety with my thumb, but when I do... the left side digs into my hand.  Cant stand it.  Sure, I can dremel the left side... and still might.... I just wish there was a better solution to this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
For an Ambi-Mag-Catch you can't beat a Norgon

I have that on my Bushy M4 and it is great.  But it is pricey around $90.00 but I do feel it was worth it.  I also have the DPMS ambi safety, I like it and it does not bother me while shooting.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Double tap
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I use the DPMS ambi on all my ARs and they work great.  However, the left side does dig into the trigger finger a bit.  Doesn't bug me too much, but if it did I suppose I could file it down.

As far as ambi mag releases, I got a Norgan, and it's good for what it's supposed to do, but I find it a bit unnecessary.  As others mentioned, at $90 it's pricey.  Personally I don't think it's worth it.  I find myself still using the standard mag release 95% of the time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
At one time OAI made a "reversible" selector.

The white stuff is grease in the selector detent grooves. A groove on each end means the selector can be installed with the lever on either side of the lower. No mods to the gun, no extra pieces to come loose.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=30432

Looks like I finally got the macro setting figured out. Now if I could just get some decent lighting.

That is alot of grease in thoes grooves.  Do you think you would need that much in there?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:08:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:20:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You could always get a ambi selector, and cut the left side off, or shorten it in some way... See the WECSOG Dremel tool chapter..hehehehe

NO NO NO!!!

Olympic Arms (OAI) does indeed still make the reversible safety selector.  It's the same part number as their standard safety, but with an "R" at the end.  And the best part is... they're the same price as the regular safety compared to the $20 that an ambi safety costs!

Quoted:

Oh come on now... I had the same problem.  It's not that it hurts, or actually "digs" into my finger, but just that it's under there is annoying.  I never noticed it until I shot a friend's AR without the ambi safety.  It was flat, and smooth, and the trigger was easier to manipulate.  

When it's all said and done though, don't forget your Ambi-Catch!    Hands down the best there is... Nothing else like them at all.  I think even righties should use 'em.  I like being able to release my mag from either side of the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:35:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:49:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh come on now... I had the same problem.  It's not that it hurts, or actually "digs" into my finger, but just that it's under there is annoying.  I never noticed it until I shot a friend's AR without the ambi safety.  It was flat, and smooth, and the trigger was easier to manipulate.  

When it's all said and done though, don't forget your Ambi-Catch!    Hands down the best there is... Nothing else like them at all.  I think even righties should use 'em.  I like being able to release my mag from either side of the rifle.

I personally never notice the selector under my finger when I'm shooting.  The only time I notice it is when I'm fucking around doing house clearing drills when no one else is home...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:05:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I personally never notice the selector under my finger when I'm shooting. The only time I notice it is when I'm fucking around doing house clearing drills when no one else is home...

Can't say as I have that problem... On days when I play hookie from work, and I find myself jumping across the hallway from the family room to the bedroom in my tactical black underwear and then diving behind the bed to protect myself from the oncoming hoardes of zombies after having just watched "Resident Evil" on DVD, I keep the safety on just to be, well, safe...
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:35:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Bushmaster has an ambi safety as well - got mine from them and it works fine on my LE 6920
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
1. I always grease up the detent grooves, it speeds up break in of the selector.

2. I intentionally filled the grooves so they would stand out in the picture.

Ok I was just curious.  Now I think I will do the same think my safeties and see if I notice any difference.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Olympic Arms (OAI) does indeed still make the reversible safety selector.  It's the same part number as their standard safety, but with an "R" at the end.  And the best part is... they're the same price as the regular safety compared to the $20 that an ambi safety costs!

Does anyone have the web site address for Olympic Arms (OAI)?  I'd like to order 3 of the reversible safties.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does anyone have the web site address for Olympic Arms (OAI)?  I'd like to order 3 of the reversible safties.  

www.olyarms.com
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#29]
tag
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.olyarms.com

Thanks for the reply.  I just called Olympic Arms and was told that Olympic Arms doesn't offer a reversible saftey.  Does anyone know of another source?  Thanks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top