Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 7:20:01 AM EDT
I want to have a purple bushy lower re-coated black. Who does a good job and what does it cost? Also turnaround time?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#1]
What color you looking for?  If you want a real first class job and have a little money to spend, I would send it to Wilson Combat for thier special coatings.   Otherwise you could do it yourself with a can of Krylon.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I want to have a purple bushy lower re-coated black. Who does a good job and what does it cost? Also turnaround time?
Thanks

Save your money, I have a Bushmaster purple people shooter and love it. Don't let the color bother you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What color you looking for?  If you want a real first class job and have a little money to spend, I would send it to Wilson Combat for thier special coatings.   Otherwise you could do it yourself with a can of Krylon.  

I want it black..
What type of money are we talking??
Definetly not going the Krylon route!
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I have finally seen the purple.  At the recent show in Mesa, AZ.  Nearly all the Bushmasters at the SGC table were purple...   Pretty obvious once you see it...   Some had black uppers...
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can strip it. and use a air brush. Do it your self with Norrels moly coat.www.johnnorrellarms.com
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#6]
If it wasnt anodized right just call bushy,Im sure they will take care of it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#7]
can some one posta  pic of a purp;e bushy?
i really wanna see what that lookjs liek in comparison to a normal lower
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you can strip it. and use a air brush. Do it your self with Norrels moly coat.www.johnnorrellarms.com

+1 on the Norrels moly resin.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Contact Ed Montana at http://www.hdps.org/. I just had a Colt refinished, the upper and lower to match. Cost was $150 to disassemble, refinish, reassemble + $20 return shipping and he quotes a turn around of five days + shipping time. I'll get it back Tuesday and can email pictures.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:59:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

DON"T STRIP IT! The color is integral with the anodized surface. If you strip the color, you have also stripped the anodization.  Norrell can be applied directly over the anodization without a problem and doesn't require stripping, just a good cleaning and degreasing.

You have two choices.

1. Paint over the existing lower using Norrell's.
      $35-$45 if you do it yourself, including cost of a cheap airbrush.
      $100-$150 if you sent it out to be coated.

2. Take it to a local anodizer and have them strip, re-anodize and re-dye it.
      $80-$125 depending on local market rates. May not be a 100% color match with upper.
      $100-$150 if you send it out to be done by someone who will match the color of your upper.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:05:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Or you could just send the entire weapon to Walter Birdsong and have him coat the gun in Black T.  I have a M4 that was done by him and it is by far the best finish I have ever had on a gun.  When I get my next build done I am sending it to him also.  

Price - $210.00 (shipping included)
Est Time - about 2 months (but well worth the wait)

James
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Or you could just send the entire weapon to Walter Birdsong and have him coat the gun in Black T.  I have a M4 that was done by him and it is by far the best finish I have ever had on a gun.  When I get my next build done I am sending it to him also.  

Price - $210.00 (shipping included)
Est Time - about 2 months (but well worth the wait)

James

+1

Get Walter to do your gun... you won't regret it.... best coating that is made barnone.

WE Birdsong & Associates
1435 Monterey
Florence, MS 39073
(601) 939-7448

ETA: Check out this thread:www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=204025
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Is there anywhere to see examples of Birdsongs work? Different examples of finish colors? Anything?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is there anywhere to see examples of Birdsongs work? Different examples of finish colors? Anything?

Send me a email at [email protected] and I will send you some pics of my rifle plus some pics of other birdsong rifles I have aquired.  He only has black and green though.  

James
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
can some one post a  pic of a purple bushy?
i really wanna see what that looks like in comparison to a normal lower

Me too!  I've never seen one before.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

DON"T STRIP IT! The color is integral with the anodized surface. If you strip the color, you have also stripped the anodization.  Norrell can be applied directly over the anodization without a problem and doesn't require stripping, just a good cleaning and degreasing.

You have two choices.

1. Paint over the existing lower using Norrell's.
      $35-$45 if you do it yourself, including cost of a cheap airbrush.
      $100-$150 if you sent it out to be coated.

2. Take it to a local anodizer and have them strip, re-anodize and re-dye it.
      $80-$125 depending on local market rates. May not be a 100% color match with upper.
      $100-$150 if you send it out to be done by someone who will match the color of your upper.

Strip AKA disassemble, remove HTS, Mag release, push pins,stock. I think most of us know what a striped receiver is.www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=DSZM4R&storeid=1&image=arslow.gif SEE stripped
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I emailed Bushy about having a lower refinished about 2 weeks ago.  This is the response I received:

"We can do it for $60.00 plus $15.00 for return shipping. The process can take up to six weeks or more as we do not do piecework and it needs to go in with a batch to be done as they are not done in house.
            We usually refer people to; P.C. of Titusville, 701 Columbia Boulevard, Bldg. 401, Titusville, FL 32780 phone 321-267-1161 as they do the same Mil Spec finish that matches our receivers. They can usually do it much faster."
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
can some one post a  pic of a purple bushy?
i really wanna see what that looks like in comparison to a normal lower

Me too!  I've never seen one before.

Just look at some pics of larue stuff on this board it looks purple. in pics. Like a Purple Bushy. It realy just has a purplish tint to it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Go with the Norrell's, heck I am coating an AR with Norrell's tonight.  It is tuff stuff, and easy to use.

I once had a lower refinished, won't do that again, to get the old finish off it has to be blasted, you will end up with a smaller part, as in sloppy fit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Examples of Tactical Operations rifles, all of which are sent to Birdsong to have his Green T finish applied.

Alpha series

Delta series (I think this is just a really bad pic)

Lima series

Tango series

I had to rip these pics off Tactical Operations website... so don't blame me for the bad pics.

Hope this helped.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Do it yourself, it is easy and much cheaper than sending it out.  Try this thread, and let me know if you have any questions after reading it.  There are plenty of people here and on other boards who have followed the link and been more than pleased with the results.
www.coloradoshooting.org/ar_refinishing.htm

Here are two pics of ARs with one being matte black (SOCOM) and the other being gray and black.  I did both with Norrells Moly Resin.  I can do about 3 AR15s for $50.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#22]
To give you a better idea of the color and texture, here is a close up picture of a National Match carry handle that I refinished with Norrells.  I should have taken a before pic, as it was pretty beat and scratched up.

I can post a few "before and after" pictures if you want of other weapons.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#23]
The Norrell's couldn't be easier.  The flat black is a great match for black anodized uppers.

I just did several uppers and lowers with the Norrell's OD, and a barrel with the flat black.

I would say, after the required baking, the finish is as hard as the original anodized finish.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#24]
More durable than anodizing or par As a mater of fact I just decided to do my LMT after reading this thread. And it turned out grate. I like the satin finish. Because I can get gloss by only pre heating to 100 deg apply liberally 3" to 5" away, Satin by pre heating to 200deg apply moderitly at 6" to 7" away & almost Flat by pre heating to 300 to 325 apply fine mist at 9" to 10" away. Like I said I decided to do this today around 3:00pm and had the rifle back together and finished By 6:00pm I wish I Knew how to post pics.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#25]
posting images is easy.  First go to a site like imageshack.com.  Upload your pic through there site.  Then it will give you code for you to copy and then you just paste it in your reply box on here.  The code will have the (img) (/img)  tags on the http://www.whatever.....com address they give you.  If you are having trouble just email me your pics at [email protected] and i will get them posted for you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I gotta go with Stickman on this.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Well lets see if this works.www.img95.exs.cx/img95/9708/pictures12.jpg
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#28]
F it all to hell. Why cant I post a pic. I feal like Im taken crazy pilz or something?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:32:01 AM EDT
[#30]
btt
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Here is a picture of a beat up receiver that I refinished...

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:43:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks JTeezy.

I tried allowing cookies, down sizing the pic. Imageshack would not let me drag the heading over to the img line. So I typed it in and still a no go.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#33]
no need to drag.  When you upload to image shack you just copy the code the give you by highlighting it then right click > select copy > then you paste it in your post.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Here is a pic of a purple bushy for those who asked to see one...

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:39:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Eeeew, yuck, paint it, paint covers a multitude of sins!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Very nice job stickman , I think I'll get some of  that moly resin !
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#37]
I just did an upper in the Norrell's flat black, and it perfectly matches a DPMS lower I have here.

I did my own informal "scratch test", before and after, using tip of screwdriver blade, with moderate force, scratching on the bottom of the lugs.  The anodizing scratched.  After, I could not scratch the Norrell's.  It IS tougher than the original finish.

I am most impressed.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Here is another link that includes some new pics and info.  It is a pretty new site, it just opened within the past week or so, and some of the "usual crew" are over there .  Feel free to jump over, sign up, and tack on comments to the refinishing thread.  I think this is the thread that I will start posting, so people can learn from others work.

www.mgtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4113
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top