Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 1:08:56 PM EDT
Is there any difference between the new Bushmaster 16" M4A3 Carbine (BCWA3F 16M4) and the Patrolman's carbine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It would appear, based on the BM website info, that the difference is that the Patrolman Carbine has a 16" barrel for legal sale to individual officers.

"it includes all the features of an M4A3 Type Carbine with a 16" Barrel to make it legal for sale to individual officers."
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
True...the Patrolman's has a 16" barrel, but so does the other rifle.  I am guessing it is the same rifle now....just trying to confirm before I order....

Ain't it cool!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#3]
The Patrolman's has a M4 contour barrel, if i recall correctly
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]

True...the Patrolman's has a 16" barrel, but so does the other rifle. I am guessing it is the same rifle now....just trying to confirm before I order....

The M4A3 (LE) is a 14.5" barrel threaded for attaching a flashhider.  The "civilian" (non-SBR) version has the flashhider permanently attached totalling 16". The Patrolman has a 16" barrel with a flashhider on it, making it slightly longer.

For your purposes, yes, the latter two are the same, in that they will both be 16" and legal.

Good luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is there any difference between the new Bushmaster 16" M4A3 Carbine (BCWA3F 16M4) and the Patrolman's carbine.

Yes there is.

I just bought a new LE Patrolman over the M4A3.

Main difference.

Patrolman - 16" M4 barrel with threaded barrel and A2 flashider and a M4 front barrel mounted side sling adapter installed, also my patrolman has a six position stock. The M4A3 has a 14 1/2" M4 barrel with a welded vortex style flashider and no M4 side sling adapter, and I'm not sure about the stock being a six of four position, i could have bought either, i went with the 16" threaded barrel with side sling adapter so i can easily change between muzzle attachments.

They both are M4 style A3's, its just personal peference.

My .02 worth.

BTW, i have made two minor changes to my patrolman so far, i put on Colt double shield M4 handguards and installed a SOG telestock slip on rubber pad. and a YHM rear A2 flip up flatop
rear sight. Optics are next.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies, but respectfully I dont think I got my answer in full, but I am getting closer at least.

The rifle mentioned in the first post (BCWA3F 16M4) is in fact a FULL 16" barrel and DOES have a threaded barrel.  There seems to be quite a bit of confusion on the new rifles.  If I am wrong here on the bbl length, plesae tell me....

It is the second gun down on this flyer:

Flyer

Maybe I should order both and compare!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#8]
That flyer is a good example, since it shows all 3 variants that we have been speaking of.  The second photo should be what is called the "Patrolman's Carbine" - 16" bbl w/FH (BCWA3F 16M4), the third photo is the "16" A2" (BCWA2F 16), and the fourth photo is the M4 14.5" w/Izzy Comp (total bbl length 16") (BCWA3F 14M4 IZ).

The first two rifles on Busmaster's site, under "Products" are the BCWA3F 14M4 IZ and the BCWA3F 16 http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/

The problem is that a lot of the descriptions of the "16" carbine" and the "14.5 w/permanently attached brake" refer to both as being "16 inches".

Crazy...hehe

Update:  I just spoke with Bushmaster (great guy on the line) and he confirmed the above info.  They will also be updating the website to include the other two variants included on the flyer but not currently on the page.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#9]
The web site is indeed updated!  More choices!

Best I can tell there is no difference now.  They both have a 6 position stock, 16" bbl, threaded, the works....

Oh what a beautiful thing....

BTW - Bushmaster is telling me there is a 2 week back order.  I dont think that is too bad!  Go Bushmaster!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
the patrol barrel is a sweet barrel
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Best I can tell there is no difference now.  They both have a 6 position stock, 16" bbl, threaded, the works....

BTW - Bushmaster is telling me there is a 2 week back order.  I dont think that is too bad!  Go Bushmaster!

Yeah, well they told me two weeks three weeks ago.  Called today and was told..............   2 weeks.

Tired of waiting
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, well they told me two weeks three weeks ago.  Called today and was told..............   2 weeks.

Tired of waiting

Holy Crap,  I ordered a Patrol Barrel 2 weeks ago and I am scared now....not to mention anxious
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#13]
That's why I ordered my patrolman's carbine barrel back in July. It has been happily installed for a couple of weeks now.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top