Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 1:01:08 PM EDT
Ok, I have a problem that I am hoping you guys can help me solve...  I leave for Afghanistan in a few weeks and I just got some new body armor...but it does not have any sort of decent point of contact for the but of my M-4 and the rifle slips off my sholder every time I fire it.  It is seriously annoying to say the least!  I can not do any serious modifications to the weapon, so the stock can't be replaced but I have seen some rubber pads in pics on this forum that look like they would be just the thing.  Anybody know what they are called and where I can get one right quick?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Slip-on recoil pads.  I have the same problem, and the rubber pad solved it.  Edit, almost any of the parts dealers will have one.  ADCO, for instance...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Bring it into your shoulder tighter, I had to do my yearly qual last monday (38 out of 40) with the IBA and LBV on.  It takes some getting used to but I can shoot just as good with the body armor on as I can with it off, and its slipery as hell if you dont pull it into your shoulder tight enough.  The recoil pad idea would work but it isnt neccessary, youll see when you get over there that when you shoot you will shoot just as well as if you didnt have any armor on.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I got the liqid rubber in a can for tool handles poured some in a pie tin and lightly coated the back of my telestock..works great and it adhered to the plastic
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Skateboard tape.  Feels like sand paper with adhesive on the reverse side.  See about sticking some on the buttstock and maybe even a chunk on your armor.  Another idea - I had a piece of rubber sewn onto my blackhawk vest which really helped "hold onto" my duty rifle when shouldered.  H&K MP-5, & Colt M4.

Remember...shoot low, they might be crawling...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The rubber pads work but change the weight of the rifle a little...if it is a new rifle setup it probably matter much. If you are used to the feel of the rifle in its current configuration you may want to try applying another material on top of the armor.... I call it a socket some call it a shield...just make sure it doesn't affect the performance of the armor.

MT
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Expedient?
I used a mouse pad.... cheap Walmart kind blue fuzzy top about 1/4" thick.
Stolen from the desk of the clerk.
Cut a piece and peeled the blue crap off of it.
Crazy Glued it to the carbine buttplate then cut off the excess with a knife.
Just enough to keep from slipping without significantly extending the length of pull.
mine has been on there since 95 and it still works fine. So it is pretty durable.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Expedient?
I used a mouse pad.... cheap Walmart kind blue fuzzy top about 1/4" thick.
Stolen from the desk of the clerk.
Cut a piece and peeled the blue crap off of it.
Crazy Glued it to the carbine buttplate then cut off the excess with a knife.
Just enough to keep from slipping without significantly extending the length of pull.
mine has been on there since 95 and it still works fine. So it is pretty durable.

Hahaha, my platoon seargent would have a  fit if he saw a piece of mousepad crazyglued to my rifle.  I may do that with my next AR for the house though, thats a pretty good idea.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Paint that area of your vest carrier where your rifle seats with 'shoe goo'.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:41:28 AM EDT
[#12]
During the war no one really cared what mods were made.
this was on the older style fiberlight stock.
Which was pretty slippery.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:47:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Use the newer SOCOM version not the older short stubby version of the stock. CAV Arms has a great non slip surface and pull it into your shoulder tighter. A good 3 point sling will help.

The rubber pads work but will come off when you least expect it. If you use one, you need to screw or wire it to the stock.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#14]
What does the newer SOCOM version look like.  We have the ribbed style rear stock on our M-4s and they are recent manufacture with the removable carrying handle and knight rails up front.  

I am going to get one of the rubber pads, but we did a mountain of work with the SAW today and will be on the 240 tommorrow which has illustrated that the problem is with the vest, not the weapon.  I am going to go by our local vest maker and see if he can rig up a piece of rubber that they use for many of their sholder panels on certain vests and make it into a velcro attachment.  It will be sort of like a circle or tube of the rubber pad similar to a pad on a sholder strap for luggage.  We'll see how it works.  Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I got shit for using a blackhawk 3 point sling and my knights handguards because I wasnt uniform with the rest of the people in my company.  Later on things got a little relaxed, but I wouldnt have gotten away with gluing anything, painting anything, or doing big mods like collapsing stocks on a fixed stock M16 (Ive got a fiberite stock from bushmaster waiting for a reciever also.)
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:05:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I had the same problem, but different circumstance. Im LEO here in PA, and a leftie. My badge is on the left side just where the bottom of the collapsable stock rests in a shooting position. The stock would slide all over the face of my badge..hard plastic to chrome finish. I didnt like the slip ons, so here is what I did. My chiefs dad has a shoe repair shop. I had him cut a piece of that 1/2 inch thick hard black foam that is used between the sole and foot part of a boot. He used shoe glue, which is a heavy duty rubber cement to attach the hard foam to the butt plate. He then sanded the foam down to match the shape of the butt plate. Let me tell you..that thing works like a champ, hot or cold, dry or wet. It weighs virtualy nothing. It's actually one of my favorite mods I've made to my rifle. Three other LEO's saw this setup and did the same thing. Cost me $3.00 I will try to post a pic so you can see for yourself.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/boomer632/1704.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/boomer632/877d.jpg
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:13:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got shit for using a blackhawk 3 point sling and my knights handguards because I wasnt uniform with the rest of the people in my company.  Later on things got a little relaxed, but I wouldnt have gotten away with gluing anything, painting anything, or doing big mods like collapsing stocks on a fixed stock M16 (Ive got a fiberite stock from bushmaster waiting for a reciever also.)

Well the thing was issued that way I was not pulling the fixed stock off, We painted ours in garrison prior to deployment, then when I had the problem with a slippery stock ........ No one said boo to me about it or anyone else for similar mods. I guess we were all uniformly, non-uniform......
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#18]
All I can say is regular army sucks compared to the spec-ops units, best thing I ever got was a fat night vision scope on my M249 on the way back to Kuwait from Tikrit.  That was the only time I got anything that I would consider high speed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Cant seem to find a place to host the photos, anyone know of a good free site?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Completely different trick, and may not work.  GE silicone 2 from hardware store, or other high grade silicone and Mineral spirits.  Mix some up, this makes seam sealer good for tent seams, bags etc.  This is the same as seam sealer that you can by at the store.  Or just buy seam sealer.

It works great if you put a stripe or two on anything slick like the bottom of a tent, to keep a bag from moving.  You could put some stripes on your gear.  The foam brushes are great for making stripes.

I would get the rubber recoil pad, but this is a good trick for slowing down other slick things on nylon etc.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a slip on recoil pad for a shorty from MA Parts. Adds about 1/2 to pull so I crank down 1 position on the 4 position stock. Perfect for me. Really grabs.
YMMV
FWIW
DFB
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:24:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Completely different trick, and may not work.  GE silicone 2 from hardware store, or other high grade silicone and Mineral spirits.  Mix some up, this makes seam sealer good for tent seams, bags etc.  This is the same as seam sealer that you can by at the store.  Or just buy seam sealer.

It works great if you put a stripe or two on anything slick like the bottom of a tent, to keep a bag from moving.  You could put some stripes on your gear.  The foam brushes are great for making stripes.

I would get the rubber recoil pad, but this is a good trick for slowing down other slick things on nylon etc.

Kinda like shoegoo.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Figured out the pic thing..hope it helps.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Kinda like shoegoo.

Too easy.  Must find complicated solution.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top