Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2004 6:29:32 PM EDT
Hey guys,  I've built something close to 20 AR's in the last few years and have done just fine with my own tools but I'm thinkin' it'd be good to "break-down" and get a couple of roll-pin punches.

Anyone know of a source for these?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hey guys,  I've built something close to 20 AR's in the last few years and have done just fine with my own tools but I'm thinkin' it'd be good to "break-down" and get a couple of roll-pin punches.

Thanks.

You can try some of the importers like Harbor Freight but I can never seem to find them when I'm looking  so I just pay out the ass for them from Brownells.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Brownell's has excellent punches.  I expecially like the starter punches.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Grainger, if you have a business account.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks fellas.

I wouldn't worry too much about having the 'Right' tools normally but it seems like this week everyone who knows me AND their friends want me to build-up a parts-kit on a reciever for them.  I've never scratched a reciever yet (I believe in the LIBERAL application of electrians tape ) but I'd hate to ding one I was doin' for a friend.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Roll pin punches, a good 16 oz. hammer, and a rubber mallet. Depending on what stock and grip you use, you might need a set of hex heads/Allen wrenches, a stock wrench, or a Philips head screwdriver. Gun cleaning patches work great to avoid scratching your receiver up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#7]
craftman from sears work fine, and a good set of needle nose pliers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:09:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Doesn't adco have a set?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks.

Hardware store

But when I put my A2 together, I got by with a standard center-punch and a set of screwdrivers...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]
IMO, even more useful are roll pin holder/starters. Once the pin is correctly started, the proper standard machinists pin punch will do the job. That said, I finally bought some roll pin punches from Brownell's and two other special punches from Adco - one is a flat roll pin punch perfect for bolt catch pins and the other a punch for gas tubes. It's amazing how something you've been doing for years thinking it was cake gets so much easier with proper tools. If you plan to build more than one or two rifles, spend a couple of extra bucks and get proper tools.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:15:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
IMO, even more useful are roll pin holder/starters. Once the pin is correctly started, the proper standard machinists pin punch will do the job. That said, I finally bought some roll pin punches from Brownell's and two other special punches from Adco - one is a flat roll pin punch perfect for bolt catch pins and the other a punch for gas tubes. It's amazing how something you've been doing for years thinking it was cake gets so much easier with proper tools. If you plan to build more than one or two rifles, spend a couple of extra bucks and get proper tools.

That's what I was thinking gus.

I put a lower together standing in a buddy's store BS'n with him the other day and got to thinking....Why don't I just go get a decent set of tools as much as I do this for people?

Thanks again everyone for the help and tips.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:47:22 AM EDT
[#12]
why would you want to buy roll pin punches? been making mine for years out of different sized nails chucked in an drill press or a hand drill.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:23:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Brownell's has excellent punches. A must are the starter punches.
Went to Craftsman for the roll pin punched though.

Brownell's has the PIVOT PIN DETENT INSTALLATION TOOL AND  PIVOT PIN DETENT DEPRESSOR too.  Yea I had that little pin go shooting across the kitchen.  Holding my breath helped me find it.

It's all good

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, we have two strong votes for the Brownells starter punches.  Would that be the Roll Pin Holder/Starters (#080-685-000 for the set), or the Starter Punch Set (#080-513-060 for the set)?  The later are short punch pins that fit in the Replaceable Punch Set Handles.  Oh, I see on the next page (pg. 172 of catalog #57) the "Starting Punches," #587-465-125 for the 1/8" version.  These are tapered punches for solid pins only (can these be used for starting roll pins as well?).  Please advise on specifics.

For a hammer for general punch use (excluding the FSB taper pins), what do y'all recommend?  Looks like brass is good for punch use, there are also nylon/brass versions.  What weight/diameter works well?  I know, somebody will say "I just use the heel of my boot."  I'm a tool junkie and love using the right high quality tool for the job, no matter how small.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#15]
if you have a lathe or a friend who has one, make'm yourself !!

every AR-15 special tool i use i have made myself, but then i have a small hobbiest machine shop !
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ok, we have two strong votes for the Brownells starter punches.  Would that be the Roll Pin Holder/Starters (#080-685-000 for the set), or the Starter Punch Set (#080-513-060 for the set)?  The later are short punch pins that fit in the Replaceable Punch Set Handles.  Oh, I see on the next page (pg. 172 of catalog #57) the "Starting Punches," #587-465-125 for the 1/8" version.  These are tapered punches for solid pins only (can these be used for starting roll pins as well?).  Please advise on specifics.

Both are handy for different things but it is the roll pin starter/holders that are great.  All but a couple of the pins you need to hammer on the AR are rollpins and most of them require 3 or 4 hands to hold everything in alignment while holding the pin while holding the punch while swinging the hammer, and everytime you hit the punch with the hammer the punch comes off the pin, if the pin wasn't aligned perfectly it comes off the hole, and sometimes the pin goes in a little but is crooked and you're worried about scratching everything up.  The starter punches hold the pin firmly, keep it aligned properly and the punch can't slip off the pin.  Once you get the pin started and run out of room with the starter punch you can switch to a regular punch to get it the rest of the way.  Even there I like the rollpin punches that brownells also sells.  These have little point in the middle that fits into the hole int he end of the role pin.  This way it doesn't slide off and doesn't flatten the end of hte role pin.

For a hammer for general punch use (excluding the FSB taper pins), what do y'all recommend?  
I use this really old all steel ball peen hammer I picked up at a flea market about 10 years ago.  The head is about 5/8" diameter and the handle is about 10" long.  The face of the hammer is pocked and pitted from use and the whole thing is darkened from rust but it gets the job done.  The only time I need anything different is those rare times when a pin just won't budge, usually a taper pin holding the front sight base.  Under that circumstance it's time to grab the 5 pound dead blow hammer.  Speaking of hammers, a rubber mallet is often useful.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the detailed response!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top