Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 6:21:30 AM EDT
I'm building my first AR-15 was wondering if it is poor practice to keep one upper and switch out barrels as desired?  Also, should bolts and bolt carriers be married / dedicated to a particular barrel or just kept with the same upper?  Am I worrying alot about nothing?

I realize it is much easier to switch out a complete upper, but to begin with I won't have enough funds to purchase another full upper.  Initially, I'm purchasing a 14.5" barrel with a phantom flash hider but would also like to get a 20" barrel for longer range targets.

Recently, I saw one message concerning this but I can't find it again.

Thanks for the help,

M.L.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#1]
IMO, a bolt should be married to the barrel so that the lugs will wear evenly.  The bolt carrier should be fine for sharing though.

I don't really see a problem switching barrels around on the same upper, but I think it would be such a pain in the a$$ that I would spend the $80-$100 to get another upper.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IMO, a bolt should be married to the barrel so that the lugs will wear evenly.  The bolt carrier should be fine for sharing though.

I don't really see a problem switching barrels around on the same upper, but I think it would be such a pain in the a$$ that I would spend the $80-$100 to get another upper.

+1

At least just buy a couple of uppers for the barrels and switch out Forward assist parts, trap door, charging handle, and sights if your trying to go that cheap.  Your only talking $100 more per barrel to not have all that hassle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Just get a new complete upper. If you keep changing out different barrels on the same upper you will wear out the threads.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#4]
After I get all of the furniture for my first one, then I guess I'll look for another upper receiver and barrel.

This is addicting (and expensive)!

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Very expensive.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top