Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 11:28:50 PM EDT
This question is for anyone that has taken the Y-Comp off of a Bushmaster "M4 Type" barrel. (with the comp welded in place) Is the barrel threaded?

I've seen pictures of the comp after grinding off the weld, but I could not find a picture of that type barrel post surgery.

I am debating on whether or not to remove the Y-comp myself, but want to do it only if the barrel is threaded, and only if the surgery doesn't ruin the threads. (not by over grinding of course, but by the welding material melting the threads when Bushmaster "welded" the Y-comp on.)

Can anyone please answer these questions? Thanks in advance people, this site rocks!

Edwin
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you VERY much for the info Troy! I noticed evidense of welding on bot the top & bottom of the Y-comp. The top circle looks bigger so I'll get to that one first.

I am gonna fit a 5 hole Phantom in place of the Y-comp. I should clear 16" with room to spare.

And by the way....Bilah Kiefa!!! I thought I recognised another soldier of house Atreides here! LOL! The Spice MUST flow.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Mission Accomplished.

Thanks again for the help Troy.

FOR THOSE OF YOU THINKING ABOUT DOING THE SAME, HERE ARE SOME POINTERS.

The "pins" (they are very short set screws) are found to the rear (rifle side) of the weld marks you will find on the top and bottom of the Y-Comp. There's no reason to grind off a big area. The job can easily be done with a cut-off wheel. The weld itself is steel, so after you grind off the exterior finish there won't be any mark to guide you till you hit the head of the pin itself.

Once you reach the top of the set screws, take off another 1/32 or so. You will be able to tap out the pin with a sharp punch. You will have to "scoop" it out of the threaded hole, so go slow. You are real close to the threads of the barrel itself.

Bushmaster uses red Loctite in addition to the set screw and welds so you will have to use heat to get the Y-comp off. A lighter will do.

There you have it, pretty straight foward stuff.  I just thought I'd share what I found out today.

Edwin
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top