Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 5:33:21 AM EDT
I spoke with Colt a few days ago. I was told that after the AWB sunsets and if the pending AWB renewal bills in Congress die, then they are planning to release civilian models with flash hider and collapsing stock. The company rep told me that they will not, however, included the baynet lug.

They knew I wanted to buy a Colt rifle, and their answer would obviously caused me to hold off on making a purchase.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:38:26 AM EDT
[#1]
give them time . No one wants to get sued and have to shut down because of people like the DC snipers.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:59:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I spoke with Colt a few days ago. I was told that after the AWB sunsets and if the pending AWB renewal bills in Congress die, then they are planning to release civilian models with flash hider and collapsing stock. The company rep told me that they will not, however, included the baynet lug.

They knew I wanted to buy a Colt rifle, and their answer would obviously caused me to hold off on making a purchase.

who was it you spoke to at Colt ? i got some different info !
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:15:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

who was it you spoke to at Colt ? i got some different info !

I just called their customer  support number from the website. I got a woman who seemed very level and factual. She was very clear -- no dates available, but pending the remaining bills, they do have plans for releasing some of these features on the civilian rifles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:48:18 AM EDT
[#4]
This change in attitude may suggest one thing.....................

They read this board
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:49:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Hopefully they will get with the Program. I'm holding out to see what they do. It will be interesting.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#8]
This thread should be merged with the other thread, just in case you are correct about people actually reading and caring what their customers think.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#9]
When I called them they said they are paying attention to the men in uniform first, When I asked them if they had future plans she just repeated the same thing.  She also said our line of Match targets are still available to which I replied "thats nice, you know no one is going to buy those right now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Just to play devils advocate .... or Colt's advocate as the case may be...

Maybe Colt didn't want to come out and say they were going to provide "AR-15 (tm)" rifles to the general public right away, as I am sure tons of media outlets were calling them the past few days. Maybe they are going to wait a month til the heat comes down on the issue and quietly put the rifles on the market.

Thats just speculation though.

And for the record I am not even a Colt black rifle fan. I own Bushmaster and Armalite.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I really think that they are going to take a wait and see attitude for the time being. Especially since they probably have a large stock of post ban configured rifles to get rid of first. Once those are gone, then they will probably take a second look at civilian sales. I hope!!

They probably don't even know what they are going to do yet. I'm not so sure I would trust the opinion of a customer relations person anyway.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Especially since they probably have a large stock of pre ban configured rifles to get rid of first. Once those are gone, then they will probably take a second look at civilian sales. I hope!!

+1
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just to play devils advocate .... or Colt's advocate as the case may be...

Maybe Colt didn't want to come out and say they were going to provide "AR-15 (tm)" rifles to the general public right away, as I am sure tons of media outlets were calling them the past few days. Maybe they are going to wait a month til the heat comes down on the issue and quietly put the rifles on the market.

Thats just speculation though.

And for the record I am not even a Colt black rifle fan. I own Bushmaster and Armalite.

this would be pretty smart for them, considering they are very PC.  and hopefully your speculation is correct.  

I also speculated that by them not offering what the public wants might be there way of getting out of the AR line of rifles.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't know why everyone is so surprised.  With the expiration of the ban, it is effectively 1994, and that was the configuration of Colt's rifles in 1994.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#15]
We are a firearms dealer from N.H.
I was confirming my order for a couple of HK pistols today with my distributor.
They are also a Colt LE distributor\wholesaler.
I asked if they had any info with Colt regarding the AWB and any prospective changes.
Reply to my e-mail is below.

I am sending the HK’s out today, I am waiting for an answer on the P7’s

Colt is not going to offer any of the pre band configured guns, only what they offer now. And they are only going to sell them to LE dealers.

I have a copy of the letter they sent out yesterday and they are only putting 9rnd mags in their MT commercial guns.

Wayne

(((I am going to try and get a copy of the letter and will post if here )))

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Well that really sucks a big one!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#17]
No more Colt.

They don’t need us we don’t need them.

Colt Firearms has been long gone for a long time.

The firearms facility is just a lone dept in that company.

For all we know the gun division could be a dumping ground for the employees that have a hard time making ‘toasters ‘.

I can’t believe they have the nerve to sit on there asses, along with acting like Nazi’s.

Can you believe we actually have a firearms manufacturer who now thinks bayonet lugs and flash suppressors makes one weapon more deadly then another.

They also have the nuts to bring on a lawsuit against a fellow firearms manufacturer "Bushmaster"for using M4 to describe their Carbine.

Bushmaster is going full force for Pre-ban products.
Armalite.
DSA, and many others.

Let’s put our money in the pockets of the ones that deserve it!

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#18]
No flame intended:
Have you guys ever called Colt before this week?  Its an absolute dice roll as to weather or not the guy answering the phone:
1) Knows anything about guns
2) Knows anything about Colt

..Unless someone here knows a Colt honcho personally, We're going to have to wait and see about Colt and the AWB..I wouldn't pay any attention to the random person holding the phone in Hartford..
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#19]
It would only be smart business practise to wait until their stock of post-ban products is depleted before advertising the availability of "no-ban" models to the public. This would serve to protect their interests and those of their distributors and stocking dealers, who would suffer if their remaining inventory goes unsold. Perhaps they can clearance them out after the shit-storm quiets down a bit?

There will always be Colt haters who are drooling at the prospect of anything that they can use in their favorite passtime of Colt bashing.

The rest of us should probably retain a degree of objectitivity in this matter and adopt a wait and see attitude.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#20]
There MT6400 is NY legal!

If they add a telescoping stock, it won't be.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Jesus Christ, I can believe so many people wanting to suck Colt's wang.
To hell with Colt.  I prefer to give my money to companies that exibit balls.  Excuse me while I go order another Armalite.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:43:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I suggest you ALL read the thread I posted. Colt specifically told one of its largest stocking dealers that it would NOT offer pre-ban guns to civies, and if dealers did, they would cut them off. What more proof do you guys need???

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=201185&page=1
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Colt can lick my left nut.  While they think, ponder and stick their finger up to test the political climate, Bushmaster, Armalite and RRA are selling like mad.  I have a Bushy and am going to build a RRA soon.  I will never buy Colt anything.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Colt stopped putting bayonet lugs on civilian rifles even before the federal AWB, so no big deal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Ive never owned a Colt or talked to them on the phone, but I have heard a lot of people flaming them for not caring about the civilian department.  I havent heard many complaints about getting warranty work done.

FACT:  Colt is owned by a rich foreigner that is for gun control.  He only wants to sell to the US government as far as I know.  Colt as a company though sells to everyone.  

If Im wrong then someone please correct me
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#26]
WHy don't you wait to see what happens.
As far as Colt's customer service, It is Top Notch along with the people that  work there.

I have always figured  that Colt Bashers never owned one  and they just follow and act on what they hear or read

I own Colts and ArmaLites, and They are both Great Rifles and Both great Companies
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm not a Colt basher, but this was interesting.  Just a very cursory search on Google.com yielded the following information about Colt's owner:

Donald Zilkha never really planned to get into the gun business. In 1993 he turned 42, and had yet to make his own fortune. Success was expected of him: his family built one of the biggest banking empires in the Middle East before conquering New York. He worried aloud to friends that his father, a philanthropist and banker, disapproved of him. Zilkha was looking for a chance to prove himself, and suddenly there it was. Colt's Manufacturing Co.--known to the world as Colt--had fallen on hard times and could be bought for next to nothing.

His family, Zilkha told others, was appalled. His mother, a board member at the Metropolitan Opera, thought it a dirty business. His billionaire uncle refused to help. But Zilkha defied them. He was a city kid enthralled by cowboy legends.   He was also a shrewd businessman, and he thought he'd found a way to make the guns profitable and "respectable." Colt had helped America win two world wars; it wasn't like owning some cheap handgun maker. Zilkha would buy up Colt's competitors for military weapons, Wall Street style. Later there were other ideas: "smart guns" that would make the world safer, Western theme parks for kids. He just might become a modern Samuel Colt.

Now here he was, in the summer of 1999, sitting in his office 46 floors above midtown Manhattan, listening on the speaker phone as Colt executives told him the dream was dying. Colt was deep in debt and paying more than $300,000 a month in legal fees. The bank wouldn't loan him any more cash. With school shootings dominating the news, Zilkha's private investors wanted nothing more to do with guns. And if he didn't come up with $4 million in a hurry, the nation's oldest gunmaker would be forced to close its doors. So Zilkha did what he had to do. He and his partner, John Rigas, secretly put up $1 million of their own money so that Colt could hastily build 1,100 modified assault rifles for the civilian market. They knew those guns were in high demand--even though they're banned in several states. The rifles gave Colt a cash infusion so it could pay its factory workers. But it wasn't enough; the money ran out, and Colt soon announced it would have to stop making most consumer handguns.

--------------

CMI (Colt Manufacturing, Inc.) is owned by New York banker, Donald Zilkha, who still maintains his Iraqi citizenship. Unfortunately, while Mr. Zilkha owns CMI, he *does not* own the name "Colt". That belongs to the State of Connecticut. The State gained ownership of the name when the companies previous owners went bankrupt in 1994 owing the State of Connecticut pension fund $11,000,000.

Zilkha's arrangement with the State required him to keep the ailing company in Connecticut for ten years, which included the manufacturing of any gun that had ever been produced in that factory....or pay the State $11,000,000 they lost in the previous bankruptcy. Apparently Zilkha has come up with an exit strategy that will allow him to both move the company's manufacturing to friendlier, non-union, ground and leave the companies creditors sucking wind. Zilkha is now negotiating with the State to finally buy the name "Colt".

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I guess everybody hates AM General for selling neutered Hummers, too, right?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Edge:  That was a fascinating and informative post.  The fact that the owner of Colt is an Iraqi citizen strikes me as an incredible irony, knowing that his product has killed many of his fellow citizens.  I also imagine that your post might freak out a few of the board members here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:54:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
No flame intended:
Have you guys ever called Colt before this week?  Its an absolute dice roll as to weather or not the guy answering the phone:
1) Knows anything about guns
2) Knows anything about Colt

..Unless someone here knows a Colt honcho personally, We're going to have to wait and see about Colt and the AWB..I wouldn't pay any attention to the random person holding the phone in Hartford..

i know two honchos at Colt & a guy who has an "in"..., Colt is concentrating on the Military, only two guns will be marked "AR-15", the 6520 & 6721, getting them will be thru a dealer only.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
It would only be smart business practise to wait until their stock of post-ban products is depleted before advertising the availability of "no-ban" models to the public. This would serve to protect their interests and those of their distributors and stocking dealers, who would suffer if their remaining inventory goes unsold. Perhaps they can clearance them out after the shit-storm quiets down a bit?

There will always be Colt haters who are drooling at the prospect of anything that they can use in their favorite passtime of Colt bashing.

The rest of us should probably retain a degree of objectitivity in this matter and adopt a wait and see attitude.

I think that this is
Why? Because the post-ban rifles are still going to be sold in states where the ban is still in effect. The other thing is that there is no such thing as a civillian version or an LE version anymore.  In Texas, I can legally own  a "pre-ban" rifle, but Colt still wants to keep LE and civilian rifles seperate. And they are the ONLY manufacturer to do this.  All Colt has to do is open up the EXISTING inventory of LE rifles to dealers in No-ban states.  Just like Bushmaster, Armalite, RRA,  and Olympic.  All of the other manufacturers still have to deal with existing inventory of  post-ban rilfes.  And any dealer in Texas (or any other ban free state)  who did not see this coming is not very good at forcasting it's sales.  look at RRA for example, The have the post-ban  Entry Tactical uppers on sale. I don't want  one here, but people in  MD or NJ or any other  AWB state can get a great deal on clearence inventory.  Colt dropped the ball. Big time.
And as far as waiting to see what will happen with the next round of AWB laws, that is retarded. There will ALWAYS be an AWB that the anti's are trying to pass. So that means Colt never has to change it's stance.  Meanwhile, everyone else is selling no-ban rifles to no-ban states by the thousands.  And making tons of money to fight the next  AWB that the anti's try to pass.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I spoke with Colt a few days ago. I was told that after the AWB sunsets and if the pending AWB renewal bills in Congress die, then they are planning to release civilian models with flash hider and collapsing stock.

What's the status on the awb renewal bills?  I was planning on waiting a couple months before sending my upper back to Armalite to have the FH/BL  installed.  But if there is something that might come to pass then I may move now and get the stuff I want now.  I.E FH/BL, 30 round mags and a "sunset" lower so I can make an entry carbine.  So what have you guys heard?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top