Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 10:33:33 PM EDT
Another newbe question:

I got my LMT 16" m4 upper today and I have been told its 16" without the Flash hider. Cool, since this means it does not need to be permantly attached to make a legal 16". My big confusion with the AWB being dead, are threaded barrels (non-permantly attached FH)ok to own now even on 16" or longer barrels??? I need to know if this was also part of the ban---before i take my new rifle out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Threaded barrels are no longer evil features
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Threaded bbl.s have always been legal on 16"+ bbl's. The AWB didn't allow a flash suppressor to be on post-ban (lower receiver) rifles, which is why they were equipped w/ compensators instead. A non-issue now, thankfully. Immaterial to the ban, overall bbl. length must be no less than 16" or the gun becomes subject to '34 NFA Act, & so must be registered as a SBR (short-barreled rifle) which requires state approval just ot able to possess (states - like mine - can opt to deny some/all types of C3 toys to citizens), a CLEO sign-off, federal paperwork, & a background check, etc., etc.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Threaded barrels are no longer evil features

its still an evil feature but its just legal now
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:59:08 AM EDT
[#4]
do they have to be permanently attached still?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:35:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If your barrel is shorter than 14.5", then yes you need to permanantly attach some device that will extended it to 16" OAL.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:43:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Threaded bbl.s have always been legal on 16"+ bbl's. The AWB didn't allow a flash suppressor to be on post-ban (lower receiver) rifles, which is why they were equipped w/ compensators instead. A non-issue now, thankfully. Immaterial to the ban, overall bbl. length must be no less than 16" or the gun becomes subject to '34 NFA Act, & so must be registered as a SBR (short-barreled rifle) which requires state approval just ot able to possess (states - like mine - can opt to deny some/all types of C3 toys to citizens), a CLEO sign-off, federal paperwork, & a background check, etc., etc.

Not that I want to sit here and argue about laws that no longer exist.... threaded barrels were NOT legal on postbans during the AWB.... a threaded barrel was an evil feature just like a flash hider was......  this is why all muzzle brakes had to be permanently attached, effectively negating a threaded barrel.

To answer the original question....  YES - it is perfectly legal to have a non-permanently attached threaded barrel today on any 16" barrel or longer.  Only sub-16" barrels need to have a permanent muzzle attachment to bring the over-all-length out to 16" or more.

So you could take you 16" LMT and just walk around with it threaded... and no muzzle device, if thats what you wanted.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Not that I want to sit here and argue about laws that no longer exist.... threaded barrels were NOT legal on postbans during the AWB.... a threaded barrel was an evil feature just like a flash hider was......  this is why all muzzle brakes had to be permanently attached, effectively negating a threaded barrel.

Good choice not to argue the law that no longer applies as you are incorrect!  You could have a threaded barrel as long as it was a thread that would not accept a flash hider...  

a flash suppressor or a threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor.

Some companies did make funky thread patterns for use with custom brakes....  JP was one example!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If your barrel is over 16" without the muzzle device; no.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top