Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 6:48:12 AM EDT
I have done a search on this but need some more help

I broke my DPMS stock wrench trying to remove the castle nut.  Now I know it is staked on...

What is the best way to get the stock off? Some say dremmel, which I am not inclined to do in case I mess it up.  Others say simply use a flathead & hammer and pound it off.  

Any suggestions on how to do this?

In addition does anyone know of a good AR smith in Houston?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I have already replaced the "fake" stock on my MT6400C with a gennie Colt M4 stock.

I used a Dremel with a small pointed stone to grind through the stakes. Don't worry about messing up the nut or the plate. You can get new ones for just a few $ through most of the parts vendors on this site if you need them.

The factory nut turned off easily after grinding through the stakes, but I used a DPMS combination tool and not one of those flimsy-assed stamped "CAR stock wrenches" to turn it off.

I didn't stake the new nut, just a little Loctite 242 (blue). I've done it this way a lot in the past and have never had any trouble with it coming loose.

HTH
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Dremmel it is.  I will get medieval on the sorry piece tonight!    
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#3]
str8shot

can you tell me how to tell if its a genuine colt stock?  I think I got taken and spent $150 for a DPMS one.  Although they look identical, the "H" on the buffer is bigger and looks different than the one on the colt fixed stock

thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#4]
What are you guys planning to do with your barrel?  Replace the entire upper, the barrel, or just the flash suppressor?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I am just going to keep the brake on until it blows off, then I will thread a fs.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#6]
estoner 1,
                 Measure the od of the buffer tube. Colts (and GI stocks) will measure about 1.502" while aftermarket tubes will be larger at about 1.619". My meausrements are kinda rough, taken with a 30yr. old NSK vernier caliper. BTW - I got my Colt stock from Hoplite.

popo23,
                I've already threaded the barrel and installed an A2 FH, and replaced the FSB with one with a bayonet lug (for "the look"). Other mods, done long ago, include a KAC M4 RAS and 300M BUIS. It wears an ACOG TA01NSN optic.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#7]
"Measure the od of the buffer tube. Colts (and GI stocks) will measure about 1.502" while aftermarket tubes will be larger at about 1.619". "

Does that mean I won't be able to install an aftermarket stock on my colt?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought the RRA M4 stock set from Eagle Firearms and it fits nice on my 6400C.I wanted the original Colt stock look so I tried to put the Colt stock on the RRA buffer tube and it was a no go.The diameter of the Colt's buffer tube is smaller.I then thought about demeling the inside of the Colt stock but that prob would have taken me days to get it to fit right so I put the original RRA stock on and used the 6400C's original H-Buffer and spring.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#9]
estoner1,
                 A complete replacement stock will come as an assembly, so you will be able to install either a small-tube (Colt/GI) or a large tube (aftermarket) stock assembly on your MT6400C.

As explained in the post before this, you won't be able to switch components between the two different types. An aftermarket sliding stock would rattle like hell on the smaller Colt/GI tube and, of course, a Colt/GI stock wouldn't fit over the larger diameter tube of an aftermarket model.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe too late here, but get a M4 stock wrench from Bushmaster for $5.95. If you can break this one, get a pipe wrench afre the sucker . Besides, you'll need another wrench for your new stock. Hang in there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I am just going to keep the brake on until it blows off, then I will thread a fs.  

And a happen it will (who originally posted this?)

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:53:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:36:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Just took mine off.  I drilled out the area where it was punched with a small drill but.  Then the nut came right off.  Pretty easy.  Now for the flash suppressor......
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:21:40 AM EDT
[#14]
What are these "stakes" that you are talking about dremmeling or punching back? Any pics of this?  So one of these collapsible stock tools won't work with these "stakes" in place?  I am kind of new to this, and want an adjustable stock on mine, but would like to know how hard it will be to do.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Look closely at the retaining plate by the Castle nut.  You will see a notch that is punched into the notch on the Castle nut.  It deforms the metal just enough at the notch so you can't turn it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#16]
OK, so if I drill, or dremmel these punched in areas, The castle nut will come right off right??

Will a new adjustable stock come with a new retaining plate and castle nut?  If not where can I get them?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#17]
It took me all of 5 minutes of pounding the stakes to hell with a rubber mallet/nail combo, and then a rubber mallet on the HD CAR wrench and off she came. I was worried for a few minutes, until I saw how soft the plates metal is.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top