Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 12:59:14 PM EDT
Hey all,
Well I've noticed in some of the picture threads that some of you have the "fire" and "safe" lettering on your lowers highlighted in red and white.  How do you do that?  I really like the looks of it, and was hoping to do the same.

Thanks
R
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Crayons or china markers work.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep... Crayons is what I used.  Check this out also....

www.memorableplaces.com/m1garand/whitelettering/whitelettering1.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#4]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Crayons?  CRAYONS?!  really?  Who'da thunk it?  I still may go for the china markers.  I've had Charles' link saved for years now.  I guess I just forgot about it.  Do they make red china markers?  Any of you have pics of your "crayola'd" AR's?

Rich
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I tryed both the china markers and crayons, and the crayons work much better and are easier to clean off the excess.  Yes they make red china markers, they are the easiest to find.  You should try the crayons first.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool.  Someone better tell Crayola.  They could make some good money marketing their "Tactical Blood Red" and "Safe White" to us.  

Rich
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure about red china markers, but I bet they are made.  Crayon holds better then you'd think it would.  CLP doesn't seem to hurt it, but then again I don't bear down into the letters when I'm cleaning.

http://home.sw.rr.com/willum/ar15-1.jpg

http://home.sw.rr.com/willum/ar15-2.jpg

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Good thread!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:47:04 PM EDT
[#10]
All I use are the Crayola Crayons, but you have alreay heard this.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Any "good" hardware store should have china markers.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok,
So I understand how to get the crayon in the lettering (kinda obvious), but how do you remove it from the rest of the receiver when you're done?

Rich
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I've done this on the bases of my magazines but have'nt tried it on my rifles yet.  I Get some Testors model car paint and some Testors thinner. Apply the paint on the letters. After it drys for  a while I use a cloth moistened with the thinner and just rub across the letters. Since the paint is recessed into the letters it doesnt remove it. It has proven to be durable. I may try it on my rifle sometime. Anyone else tried this method? I tried whiteout and it did'nt stay. I never thought to use a crayon. Does it hold up well?

John
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ok,
So I understand how to get the crayon in the lettering (kinda obvious), but how do you remove it from the rest of the receiver when you're done?

Rich

Once you have the letters filled in, just use some rubbing alcohol and  Q-tips along with a black cotton  rag to rub off  all the excess.  I'd scrape a bit with my fingernail, then rub some with a rag damp with alcohol.  There's no exact science involved.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok,

Rich

Once you have the letters filled in, just use some rubbing alcohol and  Q-tips along with a black cotton  rag to rub off  all the excess.  I'd scrape a bit with my fingernail, then rub some with a rag damp with alcohol.  There's no exact science involved.  

Make sure you wipe down the area first with rubbing alcohol to remove the oils, then proceed
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Hi there all - my first post on the forum. The easiest and most durable I've found is the "LACQUER-STIK". High Power Service rifle shooters have been using this for decades to mark sights with. Brownells sells the white, red, and black colors for $1.95 and the gold and silver are a little higher. Cleans up with a little mineral spirits and is plenty durable. No fuss, no mess. I bought my first one in 1982 and still have about half a stick left. Good Shooting to You
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#17]
good post..and welcome to the forums!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Testors model paint. I use a toothpick to fill the letters with paint, let it dry a bit, and then use Hoppes to wipe up the excess.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't find a gay white crayon.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I tried crayon on my Sig and after about 100 rnds all the crayon was gone... Maybe I did it wrong...
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't know what the hell a 'China Marker" is, but I use a white Grease pencil, Like tthe black one's Uncle Sugar use to gimme. They have a piece of string on them to pull the layers of wood off around tthe grease pencil portion. should  be able to find them at any office supply  or Art supply store. and the nice thing is you can expose a good chuck of the pencil and then sharpen it to a fine point with an Xacto Knife. so you can get into tthe small lettering.

White out also works good.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I did that to my Glock once...I guess it looked ok. Came off after about 150 rounds.

Color it in, then wipe off  the excess with a little windex or mild cleaner.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Paint pens work well, and I use Hoppes #9 as the solvent to remove the excess.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is mine. I just did it with Testors model paint...

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#25]
What GreatBison said. Designed expressly for this purpose:

Red, white, gold, black, silver.

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7778&title=LACQUER-STIK%7e
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I just did my M1A and it turned out pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Testors model paint. I use a toothpick to fill the letters with paint, let it dry a bit, and then use Hoppes to wipe up the excess.

Same here.  Worked great, but the red could use another coat, since its not a very bright red when applied over black
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I've done this on the bases of my magazines but have'nt tried it on my rifles yet.  I Get some Testors model car paint and some Testors thinner. Apply the paint on the letters. After it drys for  a while I use a cloth moistened with the thinner and just rub across the letters. Since the paint is recessed into the letters it doesnt remove it. It has proven to be durable. I may try it on my rifle sometime. Anyone else tried this method? I tried whiteout and it did'nt stay. I never thought to use a crayon. Does it hold up well?

John

Having a hell of a time with this technique with my Auto Mag....gonna have to try a lacquer stick.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:05:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Phessor,
Which method did you use?

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:32:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top