Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 1:04:19 PM EDT
I have a Colt MT6601, is there some magic on removing the buffer tube from the lower? I feel if I twist on it any harded it will break the lower.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
get a bigger hammer?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
get a bigger hammer?

Yeah, I don't want to flatten the tube.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#3]
It might have had some LocTite applied to it.  Which means you may need to heat it up.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#4]
it sounds like it could get ugly.......
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I feel if I twist on it any harded it will break the lower.

What are you using for leverage?  Or are you worried about breaking a forged aluminum lower with your bare hands?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I feel if I twist on it any harded it will break the lower.

What are you using for leverage?  Or are you worried about breaking a forged aluminum lower with your bare hands?

I have the lower in a vice and on the tube a foot long set of vice grips that have rubber teeth.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, well, please dont get offended,

But are turning the tube the correct way, right to tighten, left to loosen, Just asking....

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Use a Craftsman strapwrench
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#9]
there should be a place on the end of the tube with two flat sides too it.......you should put that in the vise......then unscrew the upper.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
there should be a place on the end of the tube with two flat sides too it.......you should put that in the vise......then unscrew the upper.

You mean the lower?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I used a 1/2" wrench on the two flat areas at the end.   After that it was just a matter of applying enough force over a long enough time.  When the loctite finally broke it sounded almost like a .22.  

I was also worried about bending something but I just put the lower on my leg, pushed forward on it with my left hand and twisted the wrench with my right.  

It was a bitch but it came off.  

ETA:  Once the loctite broke a child could have unscrewed it.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
OK, well, please dont get offended,

But are turning the tube the correct way, right to tighten, left to loosen, Just asking....

Righty, tighty. Lefty loosey. Got it. No offense taken.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#13]
sorry...yes i mean the lower.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I used a 1/2" wrench on the two flat areas at the end.   After that it was just a matter of applying enough force over a long enough time.  When the loctite finally broke it sounded almost like a .22.  

I was also worried about bending something but I just put the lower on my leg, pushed forward on it with my left hand and twisted the wrench with my right.  

Whew. That work. Thanks guys for all the input. Now I'll I need is for a few weeks to pass and a couple of UPS or Fedex deliveres.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:30:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whew. That work. Thanks guys for all the input. Now I'll I need is for a few weeks to pass and a couple of UPS or Fedex deliveres.

Heck, if thought getting the buffer tube out was bitch, waiting for the UPS and Fed-EX trucks will be a REAL BITCH....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top