Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 12:38:26 PM EDT
I was messing around with my AR this morning and dropped it!  

Normally I have an empty magazine in it and an ARMS #40 BUIS on it but today I had the 1/2 lb carry-handle and a full 30 rd mag in it.   I went to pick it up and didn't consider all the added weight and it slipped right out of my fingers.   It seemd to fall in slow motion.   It landed barrel down on the right side of the front sight base.  Luckily it was only from about two feet and it was on carpet but the crash was deafening to my ears.  

What are the chances that my FSB is mis-aligned now?   It may be awhile before I get out to shoot it again but I'm curious if it is likely to be an issue then.   The FSB is forged.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Not likely.

What I was hoping to hear.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was a young private in the Marines I abused the shit out of my M16. I threw it around, kicked it, used it for all kinds of shit and it never hurt it. Here in the Army now I have seen M16's get caught in the turrets of Bradleys and only twisted the buttstock off. I dont think dropping it is going to hurt it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
it will be fine
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#5]
A two foot drop to carpet should be and problem for a battle rifle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]
itll be fine its a war peice
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Normally I have an empty magazine in it and an ARMS #40 BUIS on it but today I had the 1/2 lb carry-handle and a full 30 rd mag in it.   I went to pick it up and didn't consider all the added weight and it slipped right out of my fingers.   It seemd to fall in slow motion.   It landed barrel down on the right side of the front sight base.  Luckily it was only from about two feet and it was on carpet but the crash was deafening to my ears.  

What are the chances that my FSB is mis-aligned now?   It may be awhile before I get out to shoot it again but I'm curious if it is likely to be an issue then.   The FSB is forged.  

It's not an airsoft toy
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Is there a hole in the floor now that wasn't there before?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#9]
When Iwas still in the mech infantry, I can remember hitting very rough terrain at full speed and all hell breaking loose in the troop compartment of the track (APC), shit and people flying everywhere. M16s would fall and  bounce around on the metal floor plates after falling from wherever they were stowed, sometimes from more than 4 feet.  I never saw any damage other than scratches or scrapes. I can't say as much for my driver when I was finished with him though.

Those components are designed to take all the abuse soldiers can dish out. Short of whacking on it with a sledge hammer, I wouldn't worry about it.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Those components are designed to take all the abuse soldiers can dish out. Short of whacking on it with a sledge hammer, I wouldn't worry about it.  

Exactly!

I doubt you can break your rifle with an accidental two foot drop onto carpet. Everything should be fine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Was it shag carpet, or that super thin high school classroom carpet?

What color was the carpet?

And is your gun made by Vulcan?

- BG

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#12]
The rifle's prob. fine but you should get one of these:

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:12:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Heh.  No kidding!

Dude, if a two foot drop onto padding could ding this weapons system, I'd have busted at least three dozen ARs and M16s by now!

I'm sure she's fine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:13:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If it is it probably would have shatterd on impact...
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The rifle's prob. fine but you should get one of these:

a1072.g.akamai.net/f/1072/2062/1d/gallery.rei.com/regular/chips/478028_1816.JPG

hr

I think a subscription to Hustler would probably accomplish more.... certainly more enjoyable.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top