Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 7:28:29 AM EDT
I've been looking to get an AR15 (my first) that looks similiar to an actual M16. I visited some of my local gunshops, which didn't have too much of a selection anyway, but from the AR15's that they had, I didn't like any of them. They were all so sporterized they hardly looked anything like an AR15. Also, I live in New Jersey, so any preban AR15's are out of the question.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
well that depends on whether you mean M16, M16A1, M16A2, M16A4, M4, M5,XM177E1 etc. There are may M16 variants and some have significant differences and improvements over others. If you mean the first "M16" model introduced in the mid 60's with the triangle handguards, no forward assist and pencil barrel, the early Colt SP1 models might be the closest.

Otherwise you will have to be more specific.

If you live in New Jersey, a preban is your only option rather than out of the question as you say.
Are you not aware that New Jersey has a "high capacity" magazine and "assault weapon" ban in place?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for the being more specific. I'm actually looking for something that somewhat resembles the M16A2/A3 configuration. New Jersey does indeed have an assualt weapons ban, but basically any firearms that complies with the federal AWB, is a firearm that is legal in New Jersey. Hell, I even have a Century Arms SAR1 and it is perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Bushmaster 20" A2 with the new post ban Govt profile barrel.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking the same thing, although I haven't gotten the chance to check any of those particular Bushmasters out yet in person . Most of the Bushmaster 20" A2 I've seen online have nothing on the end of the barrel, which looks pretty stupid. I would want some type of muzzle brake on mine. Is there any muzzle break that anyone could recommend? Also, are those fake flash suppressors any good? My guess is they are probably not worth it.... just eye candy.....

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't like brakes on a .223

I have one and wish I didn't.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#6]
The A2 model is easy, any upper with A2 carry handle upper, round (not teardrop) forward assist and A2 stock will work. Just make sure you get a true A2 or government profile 20" chrome-line barrel with it. A 20" HBAR will be much heavier than a true A2 barrel. Bushmaster will sell the government profile, chromelined 1/7 barrel on request, you can even order the preban configured upper, if you have a preban lower to put it on, since your state ban will not go away in september like the federal ban.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was thinking the same thing, although I haven't gotten the chance to check any of those particular Bushmasters out yet in person . Most of the Bushmaster 20" A2 I've seen online have nothing on the end of the barrel, which looks pretty stupid. I would want some type of muzzle brake on mine. Is there any muzzle break that anyone could recommend? Also, are those fake flash suppressors any good? My guess is they are probably not worth it.... just eye candy.....

Thanks

Smith Enterprises postban.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Colt 6551 MT target model
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks.....

Anyone have any recommendations for any particular dealers that might be selling  Uppers, lowers, or just full rifles that meet my needs?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#10]
1) Pretty much any 20" 'A2' config will be authentic enough.  The only differences you'll find are (a) most companies use a 'heavy' barrel profile (good for accuracy, but technically inauthentic), and (b) the bayo lug will be missing & the barrel not threaded.

2) You DO NOT want a 'muzzle brake'. Just get a plain, crowned barrel...

3) Look for plenty of 'ban compliant' uppers to show up on the equipment exchange and gunbroker.com in the next couple days, as people who live in 'the rest of the country' will be dumping their 'neutered' uppers for 'the real thing'...

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want the muzzle to look "correct" check out the EGW brake.   It looks identical to an A2 flash suppressor except that the end only has a hole large enough for the bullet to pass through.  It is by far the closest to the real thing that I've seen.   Just have a smith permanently attach it to your barrel and you will be legal.  

coloradoshooting.org/egw.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look at USMC03's rifles.  They have the EGW brake:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=187750&page=2

The only other difference is the bayonet mount and if you really want realism you can have the lugs shaved off, leaving the base so that from a distance it looks like the bayo mount is still there.  

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top