Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 10:08:36 PM EDT
I want to get an AR-15 marked Colt after the sunset but they dont make exactly what I want

They make an AR-15A2 govt carbine with pencil barrel and carry handle. THey make AR-15 A3 tactical carbine with an HBAR () and a flattop. WHY NO AR15A3 govt carbine?!?!?!

Of course there is also the 6920 law enforcment carbine, but it doesnt say AR-15 and I dont like 16" M4 barrels
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they do...  AR6721

Maybe I don't understand the question, is this what you are looking for?

www.colt.com/law/ar15a3.asp
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:52:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Nevermind, I misunderstood.....you want a pencil barrel with an A3 receiver.

My bad
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:52:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy the Ar-15A3 with the heavy bbl, and send it off to the gunsmith for the profile you want.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:22:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't understand why so many people don't like the HBAR.  I can't imagine sending one to get turned down.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't understand why so many people don't like the HBAR.  I can't imagine sending one to get turned down.

Oh come on! Think of the money it will save in barbells and trips the the gym, hoisting that big ol piece or bar-stock!

Edited to add: Traded in my HBAR for an A2 profile barrel, just as accurate and doesn't weight a ton.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

because its heavy and an AR-15, especially an AR-15 carbine should be light.

My M4gery is kind of heavy with the RASII and aimpoint (about 11 lbs) and it has a regular M4 barrel.

I want my next rifle to be kept fairly stock, just an eotech probably. But my next rifle has to be an AR-15 marked Colt
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If you think of it in terms of accessories, if I could only have one, I'd have a gov. profile bbl.
The extra weight doesn't do anything for you unless you are using it for competition, or varminting.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone know what the weight difference really is between the two of them???  And could it possibly be that much of a difference to be a burden?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Why not build your own?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why not build your own?

It sounds like he wants a colt.

Quoted:
Does anyone know what the weight difference really is between the two of them???  And could it possibly be that much of a difference to be a burden?

Maryland AR-15 Shooters Site bbl weights
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
They make an AR-15A2 govt carbine with pencil barrel and carry handle.

If it's any consolation, they discontinued the LW/pencil barrel Commercial model a few years ago. :)
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for that link, Stryfe!  

Great info there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't understand why so many people don't like the HBAR.  I can't imagine sending one to get turned down. hr

If you think of it in terms of accessories, if I could only have one, I'd have a gov. profile bbl.
The extra weight doesn't do anything for you unless you are using it for competition, or varminting.

I personally found that a heavier barrel on a AR15 will make a difference with my speed when engaging multiple targets. It may be a minute difference, but if in a life or death situation, it could make all the difference. Always looking for the edge. Plus the extra weight is neglible in my opinion - just never really noticed it that much although if I had the rifle stocked-up with a bunch of gadgets/toys it may be more noticeable (the KISS principle comes into play here).

Others mileage may very....

Kevin
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:55:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Colt lower and other company upper?

CRC
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Why not build your own?

I already have one ready to be assembled on 9/13 A LMT/BM M-Whore

BUt I also want a fairly plain jane AR-15 marked COLT, just because.

sure, I could build an AR-15A3 govt carbine clone... but it wouldnt be exatly what I want. (and yes, I am being a name brand whore with this)

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

CRC

nah... still not the same... I think I'm just gonna end up buying the AR-15A2 govt carbine and just leaving it alone with the exception of a hogue grip I have lying around.

I also think Colt should have an AR15A4... and I'm sure that and and an M4 will be the FIRST things they make for civilians after the sunset.... but I doubt the civilian rifles will be marked AR-15, which is why I'm looking at the LE catalog only.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRC

nah... still not the same... I think I'm just gonna end up buying the AR-15A2 govt carbine and just leaving it alone with the exception of a hogue grip I have lying around.

I also think Colt should have an AR15A4... and I'm sure that and and an M4 will be the FIRST things they make for civilians after the sunset.... but I doubt the civilian rifles will be marked AR-15, which is why I'm looking at the LE catalog only.

Your in New York?

The AR-15 was banned by name there.

CRC
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I want to get an AR-15 marked Colt after the sunset but they dont make exactly what I want

They make an AR-15A2 govt carbine with pencil barrel and carry handle. THey make AR-15 A3 tactical carbine with an HBAR () and a flattop. WHY NO AR15A3 govt carbine?!?!?!

Of course there is also the 6920 law enforcment carbine, but it doesnt say AR-15 and I dont like 16" M4 barrels

because Colt SUCKS!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CRC

Your in New York?

The AR-15 was banned by name there.

CRC

Yes I am. And yes it was.... the whole fed AWB is in our state law and its not going away.

BUT, I'm a cop. In NYS law, cops as well as "peace officers" are exempted from the entirety of the section of the penal law on weapons law. THe only way a cop can be charged with a "criminal possession of a weapon" charge is if he uses a gun in a crime (which is how it should be for everyone but thats another subject).

NOw, my biggest problem is going to be convincing a local FFL of these facts. Obviously here like anywhere else cops can get LE AR's with dept letterhead (which my dept will most assuredly NOT give out). But letterhead is part of ATF's "interpretation" of the fed AWB and since the fed AWB is about to end so will ATF's "interpretations" and the letterhead reequirement. LIke I said I just have to convince a dealer
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:31:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Does anyone know what the weight difference really is between the two of them???

Between an HBAR and a LW? 0.6 lbs - and because the weight is on a 'lever' (the barrel) it will feel like more.

And could it possibly be that much of a difference to be a burden?

Depends on how you shoot.  If all you do is shoot from the bench or possibly prone.  Or if you just bang off a few rounds then put the rifle down - then no you won't notice it.

If you go shooting for a whole day - where you are carrying the rifle the entire time, and doing lots of drills from the low ready (as you would in a typical carbine class) then YES it makes a big difference.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top