Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 4:56:39 PM EDT
Who here favors the Carry Handle setup? I have always liked the look and that will be my goal once I decide to commit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a lot of SF guys in the SFAURTAEC companies that like to mount M68's on top of the carry handle...at the ranges they are typically used the offset is not a factor.  It is a lot easier to use the optic comfortably if you don't have to bend your neck as much.  Scopes were mounted on top of the carry handle for decades before the flat top without too much of a problem.  As long as you are not taking long shots, mounting on the carry handle is fine if that's what floats your boat.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used the gooseneck setup and like it a lot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#3]
funny how you don't see too many Aimpoints mounted on the carry handle anymore (scout mount style?). I think it looks pretty cool myself. I guess this is something else that is "out of vogue".
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I might switch over to a larue FF though after I get my new barrel and mount it on that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Surefire's "Invictus" poster has someone with the carryhandle mount.  Personally, while I like the A2 carry handle, I prefer cowitnessing the optic rather than having it on the carry handle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Surefire's "Invictus" poster has someone with the carryhandle mount.  Personally, while I like the A2 carry handle, I prefer cowitnessing the optic rather than having it on the carry handle.

I'm confused now what Bushrag means by carry handle mounting because it can be done two ways. The CAR style (scout style) with Aimpoint mounted on top the carry handle (like they used in Blackhawk Down). The other way is the ARMS #39A2 (gooseneck). At first I thought we were talking about the scout style, but it appears we're talking about the gooseneck style.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm confused now what Bushrag means by carry handle mounting because it can be done two ways. The CAR style (scout style) with Aimpoint mounted on top the carry handle (like they used in Blackhawk Down). The other way is the ARMS #39A2 (gooseneck). At first I thought we were talking about the scout style, but it appears we're talking about the gooseneck style.

BHD style. 223 semiauto, do you cowitness in the lower part of the scope? Or are you in the direct middle?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BHD style. 223 semiauto, do you cowitness in the lower part of the scope? Or are you in the direct middle?

You can't cowitness with a BHD style mount.  Or are you referring to the gooseneck mount for cowitnessing?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Gooseneck, I was referring to .223semiautos pic above
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone have a picture of an Aimpoint on an ARMS #22M68 ring directly on the carrying handle?  Obviously that setup does not cowitness but I would like to see a pic of it.  I have seen it here once many moons ago and would like to see it again.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Anyone have a picture of an Aimpoint on an ARMS #22M68 ring directly on the carrying handle?  Obviously that setup does not cowitness but I would like to see a pic of it.  I have seen it here once many moons ago and would like to see it again.  

watch Blackhawk Down. I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that too. However, that setup is not too uncommon with compact ACOGs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I like my my dot mounted on the FF rail in front of the carry handle. IMO, the dot is much faster to use and provides better field of vision if it is mounted forward of the receiver. This is why I have never found the need to switch to a flat top on a CQB carbine. The A2 with optic on the FF rail is just as effective as a flat top with a fixed BUIS, yet simpler and more solid. Simple and solid are very good qualities for a fighting arm.

With a scoped rifle the A4 has obvious advantages, but for my CQ preferences, the A2 is better.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:45:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

watch Blackhawk Down. I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that too. However, that setup is not too uncommon with compact ACOGs.

Trust me, I've seen that movie more than once.  

But nonetheless, I need some pics of it!  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They co witness with the QD aimpoint mount I have.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#16]
this aimpoint is going on a flat top after the ban but enjoyed this set-up for about 7 months.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
this aimpoint is going on a flat top after the ban but enjoyed this set-up for about 7 months.

home.nc.rr.com/blueshockey77/m4.jpg

Why are you changing? I love that set up, but I would move the Comp back a little for better balance.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why are you changing? I love that set up, but I would move the Comp back a little for better balance.

More or less just to try one out on a flat top.  Never owned a flat top and getting one after the ban.
If it works out I might just get another Aimpoint for both. I love my optics.

Thanks for the compliment on the setup.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, I like it too. In fact I'm about to have that almost exact setup. What FF handguards are those?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#20]
for those that have the ARMS #39A2, how do good do the optics mounted on top keep a "zero"?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
for those that have the ARMS #39A2, how do good do the optics mounted on top keep a "zero"?

Good, the bi-level never moves.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:05:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, I like it too. In fact I'm about to have that almost exact setup. What FF handguards are those?

KAC RAS Handguards, but they aren't free floated.

I've used the arms #39 set-up as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:53:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
There are a lot of SF guys in the SFAURTAEC companies that like to mount M68's on top of the carry handle...at the ranges they are typically used the offset is not a factor.  It is a lot easier to use the optic comfortably if you don't have to bend your neck as much.  Scopes were mounted on top of the carry handle for decades before the flat top without too much of a problem.  As long as you are not taking long shots, mounting on the carry handle is fine if that's what floats your boat.

At what approximate range does the offset become an issue?  I'm looking to put an Aimpoint on an 14.5 " A2 Upper.  If I zero an Aimpoint on a carry handle mount at 50 yards (with XM193), how far off will I be at 100 and 200 yards?  I'm not looking for anything exact,  just want to know if the sight will still hold within, say an 8 inch diameter.  Will I go completely off the paper or simply shift an inch or two?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:57:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Not inside of a building...I've never seen one employed any other way.  These guys in the CT companies train in shoot houses...period.  90% guys have gone to EOTechs now, but there are still some Aimpoint fans out there, too.  A lot of those Aimpoints are on top of carry handles.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top