Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 10:54:58 AM EDT
Some of you vets help me out here.

I can't for the life of me remember if the 20" A2 I carried in the Marines Corps
(93' - 99') had a flash hider with holes all the way around, or if it had a flash
hider with a solid bottom area to prevent dust signature when firing prone.

I'm going to be putting a Flash Hider on an A2 20" come 9/13 or 9/14 and
wanted to have a clone of what I carried while I was in the military.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#1]
A true M16A2 has the FH with the slots only in the top, bottom closed to create less of a dust signature. I've seen M16A1's retrofitted with the A2 FH and Handguards, but never seen an A2 with the slot-all-the-way-around or "birdcage" FH. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, your Corps issued M16A2 had the solid bottom A2 flash suppressor.  Hell, I may have even worked on it.

I was the guy in the cage saying "It's not clean yet".
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was the guy in the cage saying "It's not clean yet".

Oh, I remember you. Don't think I don't remember you.
You were the primary reason I was so pleased to turn in the A2 for an M9.
(M9's fit in a ziploc bag while holstered in the field)

Oh, and Semper Fi.

JHaines, I did the same thing a few years ago, but I still need to re-profile the HBar barrel down to a more memerable weight. Its not expensive; I just haven't pulled the barrel to send it in yet.

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Otto, I sent my HBAR to Kurt's Kustom's (In the Industry Forum).  I had him do a lightweight conversion to it, with the OD under the handguards the same as the OD forward of the FSB.  It's just a bit heavier than the A2 profile, but I noticed the A2's always bent  right in the middle of the HG's. (Yes, it's 'cause the grunts used them as steps in MOUT).

Semper Fi
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top