Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 3:35:27 AM EDT
im going to do a KKF type cosmetic flash hider treatment to my bushmaster 16" HBAR.  i mostly dont like the emasculated look of a plain barrel.

will there be a significant amount of flash because of the un-suppressed muzzle?

im wondering if i should get the barrel threaded  for a functioning hider before i screw it on my receiver.  i like the thought of the maximum velocity i will get out of a 16" vs. something shorter with a permanent flash hider.  im starting to consider getting an inch cut off and then threaded so i still end up with the 16" OAL.  i dont know if i care for the long hider KKF sells.

of course the 'press on' approach will be my only recourse if the libs get their way in the next couple of weeks.

thanks
david
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:01:47 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
im going to do a KKF type cosmetic flash hider treatment to my bushmaster 16" HBAR.  i mostly dont like the emasculated look of a plain barrel.

will there be a significant amount of flash because of the un-suppressed muzzle?

im wondering if i should get the barrel threaded  for a functioning hider before i screw it on my receiver.  i like the thought of the maximum velocity i will get out of a 16" vs. something shorter with a permanent flash hider.   im starting to consider getting an inch cut off and then threaded so i still end up with the 16" OAL.   i dont know if i care for the long hider KKF sells.

of course the 'press on' approach will be my only recourse if the libs get their way in the next couple of weeks.

thanks
david

You have to decide what is a priority for you.  Based on all the info at ammo-oracle.com, I too would like to keep the overall barrel length above 16".  You can't be that concerned about length if you're considering adding a cosmetic hider.  Why not go all the way especially since the ban is gone in a few weeks?  If you don't like the KKF flash hider because it is too long, do what I'm doing to my 16" HBAR Bushy and get a Bushmaster Phantom 5 Port Flash Hider.  I think you can still have KKF do the work.  Unless you're doing a lot of low light shooting, flash is not as much a problem especially in a longer barrel.  But with the ban going away, I am definitely going with the real deal.

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:12:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll let you know on Sept the 14th.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:14:42 AM EDT
[#3]
My 16" post ban barrel has no brake or moch flash hider and it gives off a huge fireball when fired using Federal M193 ammo.  My 14.5" M4 barrel w/FH is significantly less. (almost nothing)
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had the exact same experience as rockytherotty above.  There is a SIGNIFICANT difference in flash on with and without a flash supressor on a 16in barrel.  My 16in with an A2 hider gives off almost nothing at all.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, as mentioned above the fireball from the hot 5.56mm loads is huge out a 16" barrel.  It's clearly visible even in bright daylight.  Towards dusk it's kinda distracting and from my understanding, at night it's blinding.  I'd wait and get a real phantom when the ban sunsets. Most everyone says it completely eliminates the blinding flash of a naked barrel.  If the ban doesn't go away then you lost nothing  but if you get a cosmetic then it expires your going to have to ask yourself..... why?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This excellent collection of pics from "rsilvers" is worth 1000 words.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=170932&page=3

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
nice pics greg. very educational
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like I should shoot up my Federal LC, and start stocking up on Q3131A.  From a 16" barrel with no FH, the flash is pretty blinding when the sun is going down.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

thanks
david

If they get thier way we will have more to worry about than FS.  Lets pray they dont.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top