Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 2:47:51 PM EDT
Hey guys, I have been thinking about buying a few stripped lowers. Now if I do, which brand would be better, I am thinking either Bushmaster or RRA.

What is a good price for stripped lowers?

What is a good price for the kits needed to assemble and where is a good place to buy the parts needed?

I have read through a assembly guide, and it looks straight forward and not complicated.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hey guys, I have been thinking about buying a few stripped lowers. Now if I do, which brand would be better, I am thinking either Bushmaster or RRA.

What is a good price for stripped lowers?

What is a good price for the kits needed to assemble and where is a good place to buy the parts needed?

I have read through a assembly guide, and it looks straight forward and not complicated.

Thanks in advance.

Q1 both are good, may have to do some fitting with the RRA to some upper assemblies.   Bushmaster will cost you more.  plenty of people are having good luck with mega and a few other non ABC names.

Q2 prices seem to hover somewhere around $100 depending on where you shop

Q3 Adco for the lower parts kit,  somewhere between 50 and 60 is fair.  I wouldn't pay more than 60 for a lpk
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#2]
They are not horribly difficult to build, but when you can get an assembled lower for under $15 more, get the assembled lower.

Check out www.eaglefirearms.com, I've had good luck with them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the Bushmaster lowers, I stick with what works.   They don't sell the most AR's per year just on their good looks.

The problem I had around my area is that no one would order just the lowers for me.... I even offered to pay an "inflated price", and they were still dicks.

The build really isnt that hard to do... just make sure you buy a good set of quality punches (Bushmaster sells them) and put a piece of wood inbetween the "ears" of the trigger guard when you driving the pin in.

Once you put couple together, you will be able to build them faster than you can afford them
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#4]
1shott POST # 2083 and you are just asking this question?   Hmm...

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#5]
TOP_PROP Whats post count have to do with a valid question.Maybe in all this time he has finally decided to try a build himself.I have been shooting and buying ARs for the past 15 years and just started building 2 years ago with your low post count and I see you are a recent memeber I have to ask why are you asking a veteran memeber this question?...Hmmmm.Maybe as a community we should be more accomidating in trying to post valid answers to a question instead of looking for suspicion or down playing a question as "insignificant" or thinking some one should already know the answer and not post a question because he has a high post count,this mentality realy rubs me wrong...927
sorry 1SHOT here is a valid answer to your question.You can get lowers like MEGA wich people seem to really like at under $100 also eagle arms forged lowers at around the same price.RRA lowers can somnetimes be had in the $100 to $120 range unless its a "property" marked lower from pete..he charges $140.Bushmaster seems to be the high end at $150 dealer price wich is great if you have an FFL and usualy $175 to $200 for us common folk.I have a buddy that got an ameetec arms lower and the  fit and finish is excellent,kind like a Bushy lower plenty roomy so uppers fit the first time and he got his for $170..real nice lower and as long as you go forged and decent quality you cant go wrong..stag arms is also cheap and good...927...to !SHOTT like yourself  I am going to get off my ass and buy a membership to a great site that deserves some support as I have taken plenty off good times from this site and have met some real good people,we should take an example from you and give a little back instead of always taking...myself included in that comment..927
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Top_prop

Yes, I am now just asking this question about lowers, never was interested in a build project before, but I am looking into it as a winter project....
Not that it is any concern of yours......

model927

Hey, joining the site is a good thing to do, lots of great folk here.....

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:49:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I am another Newbie thinking about doing the same thing, and I really appreciate this site and the members on it. It's nice to make a educated choice instead of a out right guess.

I got all my goodies set up for the sunset, except for another lower. No matter what happens, I will have an AR that is made for me, but it sure would be nice to have TWO AR's if you know what I mean. I ain't too crazy about swapping uppers all the time on one lower.  Plus I read somewhere it was bad. (Excessive wearing etc.)

Like EVERYONE here knew, this AR thing is addictive, and as soon as I got my 1st, I just had to get another...you know, to make one with everything that ain't on the first, LOL!

I'm thinkin' Bushmaster for the lower. The extra upper is a Bushy, and when fit on the lower I have now it fits very snug, even better than the upper the gun came with. I can fit an accuwedge in the stock setup, but can't with the extra upper. NICE FIT.

Anyway thanks for posting this, I have learned alot!

E
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:17:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:28:29 AM EDT
[#9]
My current build project is Dpms - it went together easily, but not as cheap as some of the brands being mentioned
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:21:35 AM EDT
[#10]
To me, a forged lower is a forged lower.  I don't really care what is on the side of it as long as it works.  Keep in mind that ALL lowers come from only a FEW sources so a Bushmaster lower was forged at that same place as several others.  You can find most lowers for under $100 these days so shop around on the EE, specifically check out Ameetec.  He carries about a dozen different lowers, most for $100 or less.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:15:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#12]
As I always say.....  Doublestar!!!!  www.star15.com and www.j&tdistributing.com

You will not regret it.  Great product.  Great service.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#13]
dsa's are cheap.  has anyone built 1 yet?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
1shott POST # 2083 and you are just asking this question?   Hmm...

I am in the same boat, I am just now doing my first build.  I have all the parts but the lower recvr. and I'm also wondering what to do.  Bushy lower with parts kit installed is $270, which seems a bit high? I was thinking of RRA but I don't want to do any "fitting" to make an upper fit correctly.  I wish someone locally stocked lower receivers so I could just go check them out and buy one right now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#15]
DSA and Lauer Custom Weaponry lowers are both manufactured by LMT and available through Dennysguns (Globaltactical) here on arfcom.  Best lower parts kits are JT Distributing - parts are identical to Colt and reportedly come from the same supplier.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Top_prop

Yes, I am now just asking this question about lowers, never was interested in a build project before, but I am looking into it as a winter project....
Not that it is any concern of yours......

model927

Hey, joining the site is a good thing to do, lots of great folk here.....

1shott,
If you find some lowers an can get them transfered into OK, please let me know.  My FFL (a buddy of mine) is going through divorce hell, and cannot do any transfers right now.
Patrick
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top