BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2004 3:41:22 AM EDT
I just received the TANGODOWN BATTLEGRIP, and I like it, especially the part that covers the hole that is above the index finger, but I think I still like my standard A2 Grip. The A2 seems to be a little thicker at the top of the grip(the web of the hand) and has more of an aggressive texture. Who has tried other Grips and went back to the Standard A2 Grip? I'm curious.
ZZZ
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:29:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the standard A2grip.

But I'm not that fussy about it.
I like the other grips too.
So, it doesn't make much difference to me.
I shoot  just as well with any grip.

I do like to have some storage in the grip, though.
Currently using the Lone Star Stowaway grip, which looks/feels like the A2, but has a trapdoor on the bottom and allows storage of some small items.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:49:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I  have tried a few differnt grips,but like  the A2 grip best.
Im  currently using a Bushy  stowaway A2  grip.

TG
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:53:53 AM EDT
[#3]
... prefer A2 myself, some how I have an extra (10) laying around the place. Not sure how that happened
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:55:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to like the A2 grip but after running a multi-day carbine class at Blackwater I'm no longer a big fan.  The gap in between the grip and the trigger guard forces you to run a TD, a gapper or to wear gloves (which is what I did).  Just about everybody in our class was bitching about the gap and even those with the gapper were bitching.  Since then I have switched to the Tango Down and I'm not switching back!  If I was going to the range for a couple hundred rounds then I could live with the A2 but I'm going back to Blackwater in the spring and all my carbines will have Tango Down grips on them!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:10:19 AM EDT
[#5]
A2 for me, but the hogue is cool
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#6]
A2 for me!

I am not a "GRIP HOMO!" - Lumpy196
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the older A1 grip. For some reason when they start putting bumps and finger grooves on a grip they never fit where my fingers will go. I always file off the A2 bump so it'll not interfear with my middle finger.  A1 for me all the way.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:24:00 AM EDT
[#8]
A2 is the only way to go... Unless you have an A1 style rifle of course
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:31:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I tried the TD grip, didn't like it and went back to the A2.
Last week I finally got around to putting a Hogue Handall grip sleeve (Jr. size) on my TD grip.  It feels much better, so I put it back on the gun.  The sleeve has a palm swells on either side, so the grip is thicker.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#10]
A2 grip is the only one for me.  The others just dont belong on a rifle made to be as close as it can be to a m16.  Just my openion though.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:14:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I just got my TD Battlegrip put on.  It fits my hand much better than my A2 grip.  I did put a couple of Ranger bands on it just to aid the gripping surface.  I also like the storage space.  The fact that my local gun shop owner gave it to me free for being a patient customer helped alot also.  (I had money left to get a LULA as a result.  Nice piece of engineering right there.)
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I have used A2s, Hogues, and Ergo grips. I don't really have a preference. There is nothing wrong with the A2. If you don't like the gap at the triggerguard- get a gapper or use nomex gloves. If you are in a tactical carbine class and you are not using nomex gloves, you are WRONG. I replace A2 grips when I see one I like locally and I have extra cash. Use what you like.hug.gif
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't really like the A2 grip, but can't find anything that works better for me.

I feel the same way about Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Lumpy196 like his A2 grips , I think he is going to be getting a Hogue for Christmas
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Does anybody have anything negative to say about the hogue adjustable carrot grip??
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 8:10:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I hear Lumpy collects A2 grips - hangs them on his tree during the holidays
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:09:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a box of A1 & A2, take-off grips. I don't use them.
Modern, "ergonomic", grips are just another update to a modular weapon system.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I hear Lumpy collects A2 grips - hangs them on his tree during the holidays

This is good intel....thanks Hokie  now I know where to send a few of those old A2 grips that I took off and put Hogues on to replace them..........I think Lumpy will be surprised
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#20]
10-4!  I've got 2 extra myself that need a home.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#22]
it's just kinda there.  unlike a handgun, ya don't point yer a2 using a pistol grip.  it's sort of irrelevant.

so yeah, i guess i do like my a2 grip.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I just found the DUCK BILL GRIP on line, this may be the answer. Any comments on this grip?
ZZZ
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#24]
It ran over my dog, burned down my house, then ran off with my fiancee. I hate it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I just found the DUCK BILL GRIP on line, this may be the answer. Any comments on this grip?
ZZZ

Bought an A1 stock unit from CDNN about 6 weeks ago, and they threw in a duck bill (early model I guess) with the deal. Put it on my M4gery for a test out at the range last week

EXCELLENT results. The thing is jus a tad longer than the A2 grip, to compensate for the "cover the slot" area which puts your hand just a bit lower overall.  The thing is stipled all around, it has the rear grooves of the A2 type grip, and it's the same width all over as the A2 grip.

Best of all is the price; $4.99, or free if you're getting some of their other AR stuff.  Check their web site out for details. Definitely worth checking out
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have a box of A1 & A2, take-off grips. I don't use them.
Modern, "ergonomic", grips are just another update to a modular weapon system.

Exactly  Lon

TD Battlegripss have replaced all my A2s
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:15:24 PM EDT
[#27]
i like the a2 and tango down grip about equal... but the tango down holds my aimpoint batteries so i go with it...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I have an A2 grip on my A3, and a Hogue on my M4gery.  I prefer the feel of the A2 on my 20"... it feels like "home."
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#29]
For what it is worth I really prefer the Lone Star Ord hideaway grip
looks similar to an A2 but the back is more curved and wider at the bottom where the trapdoor is
I don't have anything in the compartment but the grip fits my hand better.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I've tried several grips and have continuously gone back to the A2...specifically the Colt A2 which is a tad thicker than the others.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I prefer the A1 grip over the A2 as I find the finger rest annoying.

The Hogue is my favorite as it is most resistant to slipping with sweaty hands.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I've tried several grips and have continuously gone back to the A2...specifically the Colt A2 which is a tad thicker than the others.

The Colt A2's do have a little more of a "swell" to them, My fav too.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I also use the A2 stowaway grip from Bushmaster.  However I wish it included a duckbill feature.  Or else I wish somebody made an A1 duckbill stowaway grip.  Or else I wish the stowaway compartment of the TD battlegrip was larger.  It's good for holding a couple batteries, but instead I wish it could hold some extra rifle parts or cleaning parts.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#34]
A2=$3-$5

anything else= over $20

To me, all these fancy aftermarket grips are just a ploy to get you to part with your money.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm sticking with A2 but liked the Hogue grip. But I generally don't like anything with finger grooves.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
ZZZ

I hear it is the ONE aftermarket grip that Clint Smith likes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
A2=$3-$5

anything else= over $20

To me, all these fancy aftermarket grips are just a ploy to get you to part with your money.

what isn't

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Shamayim,
Thanks for the info on the DUCK BILL GRIP. I just rceived mine this week and I am impressed at how
Tacktified/Grippy/Stippled(However one wants to say it) the feel is when my hands got sweaty. I have tried the A1 Grip, A2 Grip, Hogue Grip, Ergo Tactical Rhino Hide Grip, Ergo Tactical Sure Grip and TANGODOWN Pistiol Grip and my personal preferance is now the DUCK BILL GRIP for now
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Shamayim,
Thanks for the info on the DUCK BILL GRIP. I just rceived mine this week and I am impressed at how
Tacktified/Grippy/Stippled(However one wants to say it) the feel is when my hands got sweaty. I have tried the A1 Grip, A2 Grip, Hogue Grip, Ergo Tactical Rhino Hide Grip, Ergo Tactical Sure Grip and TANGODOWN Pistiol Grip and my personal preferance is now the DUCK BILL GRIP for now.
ZZZ

Yup Have mine on the M4gery, and will probably get at least a couple more.  Also, the space inside is just a bit larger than the A2 standard. I've got one of the snap on type covers that I drilled a hole in just deep enough that I can carry a spare firing pin in it. That, plus a spare extractor, extractor spring and insert in a small ziplock, and I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:57:23 PM EDT
[#40]
A2 is not bad, but the Hogue is better.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 11:27:54 PM EDT
[#41]
there is nothing wrong with the A2 grip but the others are alot better.

I really like the hogue.

I just got a TD battlegrip and put it on my super duper tactical gangsta M-whore. I think I like it, it covers the gap, makes your hand ride a little lower and the battery storage is good.

When I get my Colt LE AR-15 govt carbine its getting the hogue.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:48:19 AM EDT
[#42]
The Hogue grips are nice.....until you actually USE it.  

The rubber gets easily caught up in your t-shirt or loose clothing.  There's absolutely no substitute for a smooth-edged polymer grip.  I'm a big fan of the First Samco G27.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:07:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Lumpy will label me a closet grip homo for this I am sure, HOWEVER (comma pause for effect)

I have tried just about every grip out there plus the two grip extenders and I always go back to the A-2 grip. NOW that being said I have Just recently plunked down my Visa for the Magpull modular grip presale and I believe that it will truly be the end all be all of the grip delima which is a real delima and it is this.

THE DAMN TRIGGER IS WAY TOO FAR BACK IN THE LOWER...

Yep you read that right.

one more time

I have actually looked for a trigger shoe to correct this but have not found one yet. That is why people feel they must mess around with the grip. The shape and size of the a-2 grip is just fine. The problem is when I grip it my trigger finger wraps too far around the trigger.  So I am waiting for the magpull grip like I am waiting for the AWB to sunset...

IPSC_GUY

P.S. The little gapper insert is the neatest thing since sliced bread
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
It ran over my dog, burned down my house, then ran off with my fiancee. I hate it.

...That's freakin' funny!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#45]
If you shoot Service Rifle competition you pretty much have to use an A2 grip if you shoot an A2.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#46]
A2=Ick.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#47]
I prefer A2.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I prefer A2.

I just don't see the need to spend extra money on a piece of plastic or rubber when the standard A2 grip works just fine. My right hand isn't that sensitive, I guess I just don't have "nancy hands"
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:02:41 AM EDT
[#49]
I do not own any grips other than the standard A2.

The upcoming Magpul grip is on my must try list.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:18:15 AM EDT
[#50]
I just put on a TD battlegrip. I was switching from black to OD and figured it was worth a try to see what all the fuss was about (and to get some storage space that I don't need yet), even though I didn't have any actual complaints with the A2 grip. But...WOW! It feels a lot better. Haven't got to shoot it yet but in handling it so far, it is definitely an improvement.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top