Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2004 6:44:40 PM EDT
I need some advice or suggestions.   I used an Otis cleaning kit tonight to clean out the bore of my AR-15 rifle which has a 20" barrel.   I have previously used this cleaning kit successfully a dozen times,  so I know how it should work.   Tonight however, I got my patch stuck tightly in the barrel.  I was using the flex-rod (cable) to pull the patch from the chamber to the muzzle.  The patch got stuck tightly in the barrel about 3"-4" past the chamber.  I tried pulling harder, but the only thing that happened was my fingers got sore and I bent the T-handle into almost a "U" shape.  The patch will simply not budge.  I tried pushing the patch backwards, but the flex-rod does not really lend itself to pushing.  Any tips on how I can remove this patch?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
IIRC the tip screws onto the "rod", unscrew it, and put a stiff cleaning rod in the bore and tap it back out the chamer.  If you don't have one, then go to wally world or hobby lobby and get the appropriate wooden dowel for the job.  HTH.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IIRC the tip screws onto the "rod", unscrew it, and put a stiff cleaning rod in the bore and tap it back out the chamer.  If you don't have one, then go to wally world or hobby lobby and get the appropriate wooden dowel for the job.  HTH.

+1

Did that to an SKS of mine.  Just unscrew, insert, and push.  And next time ease up on the patchwork!

-Redfoot
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#3]
what he said^ happened to me too, I ditched the kit and got a boresnake and a regular cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestion.  It worked like a charm.  I'm a little embarrased that I did not think of it myself.  Whew, what a relief that I won't have to take it to a gunsmith.  Thanks for all your help.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top