Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2004 2:15:12 PM EDT
Is the Surefire M73 rail system solid and reliable enough to mount a Eotech or Aimpoint onto? Or is just for lights, foreward grips ect...
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Mox, it is solid enough though a mounting solution might be an issue as the top rail of the M73 is too low to mount an Eotech w/o the FSB obscuring your view.  Now with a .5" riser you might be good to go.  Here is some info I put together.  AR15reviews.com  HTH
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought my M73 from Denny and I like it.  Its definitely solid.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Definately a solid rail platform...but solid enough for optics?...I don't think so.  Great for any other goodies you might want to mount forward of the receiver though. Its also hard to beat the price!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Definately a solid rail platform...but solid enough for optics?...I don't think so.  Great for any other goodies you might want to mount forward of the receiver though. Its also hard to beat the price!!!

Hmmm... Must be something wrong with mine.  10 visits to the range and never lost zero yet.  I clamped it down tight and it hasn't budged a millimeter.

It might need a 1/2" riser though.  Personally I like that I keep the EXACT same cheek weld on the optic as the irons.  All I usually do is flip up the large apature.  For quicker use I can just peak over the rear sight.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad to hear it Grunteled.  Personally, I just dont like the idea of optics mounted on anything thats not solidly affixed or part of the upper receiver.  It can get knocked around in everyday use.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine was solid. Optics? Why not?
flashlegs
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:42:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine sucks.  Bought it and attempt to install a GG&G foregrip.....the Surefire M73 was out of spec dimensionally due to excess finish thickness.  (Verified by Surefire).  

2nd M73 I got was no better.  It is currently being inspected by both GG&G and Surefire.  When we installed the GG&G grip....it cracked after being stuck on the rail.

I am highly ticked at Surefire.  They want the dealer to deal with it...the dealer refuses.  Surefire refuses a refund...and I am stuck.

Buy ARMS or anything else.

B Wood
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Dealer was Trader World Gun & Indoor Range in Charleston SC.

I called them the same night I picked up the unit....after driving from Hilton Head Island SC to Charleston....about a 2 hour drive each way.  They said take it up with Surefire.  

Overall I am ticked off.  I had read reviews that were bad on the M73 in the past, but thought "no way"......based upon my experience using their products on my H&K Mp-5.  Wrong.  

WHAT FLOORS me is that Surefire is sticking their heads in the sand on this one.  GG&G took a totally opposite approach of lets take a look at it and get it fixed.  Surefire....was more like..."can't be us...we make perfect product".  

Surefire CONTRACTS the rail to be made for them.....they do not make it in a Surefire facility.  They do not finish it in a Surefire facility.  All out of house contract work.  

Good luck guys.....

B Wood

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:44:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Any updates on this issue??
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top