Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2004 3:32:38 PM EDT
Hi all, I was just able to fondle the new left upper from stag arms. This is a pre-production model, but I'm assured that there will be no major changes from this to production ones. BTW, it will be offered as a complete upper d/t the need for a left hand bolt/carrier and barrel extension. It will be available with either semi or full auto bolt carriers for you m-16 owners as well. I'm also told that it will be reasonably priced. You may notice that the dust cover faces upwards, this is d/t clearance issues with the bolt release. The carry handle currently on the rifle is a regular right handed one, there will be a left hand one which will place the knobs that hold the handle to the rail on the other side, but the A2 sight will remain as it is in a normal right handed configuration. In a week or so, I'll be able to use take it for a while and then I'll provide a range report.  Anyway, here are some pics, and I'll post more as I take them. I took the pics with my friends essential arms preban to highlight the differences.

Link Posted: 7/29/2004 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks good, I still can't believe that is a real rifle.  I thought it was a photoshop when I first saw it.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 7/29/2004 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the pictures.  Can't wait for your review after shooting it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#3]
wow, i didn't know that the bolt carrier and barrel extenstion were different.. What is the need for a differnt barrel extenstion?
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow!  I'll get my son one of this.  He's a lefty.  Thanks for the pictures and let us know your range report.

Thanks,
556man
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
wow, i didn't know that the bolt carrier and barrel extenstion were different.. What is the need for a differnt barrel extenstion?

the bolt cams in the opposite direction from the stock one, hence the need for the lefty carrier, bolt and barrel extension
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 2:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
nothing new, available from DPMS for years............
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/31/2004 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Really...I never saw the DPMS one but I'm not a lefty either.  I think it looks pretty slick and I have been impressed with Stag Arms.  If I was a lefty, I would have one already!
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]
The DPMS upper uses a standard upper forging and instead of milling the ejection port on the right side they mill it on the left. The DPMS upper does not include the shell deflector, ejection port cover or forward assit. So it is not a mirror image.
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks clean and RD took some time on this one, bet it sells well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm a lefty. Looks like a solution in search of a problem. Why would you want one? The bolt and mag releases are still on the same side. (Of course the mag release would have to stay since otherwise you'd need lefty mag's!) They didn't even bother to put an ambi-latch on the charging handle, much less provide a true lefty version. So it's just a regular AR with an ambi-safety that ejects the other way. Since left-handed ejection isn't needed to shoot an AR left handed, what's the big deal?
Link Posted: 8/1/2004 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a DPMS lefty and like it very much...........I can't imagine a lefty putting it down because the only different is the ejection port on the left side and the mag release and safety are where they are on the righties....so what?....at least it is ejecting out of the left side.....and if it don't bother a lefty to shoot righties, then it shouldn't bother righties to shoot lefties...................I will be getting either a DPMS or RRA upper soon and it will probably be a right handed version especially if I buy a RRA, but I certainly won't whine about it if it is another lefty...............
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I got one the thing is awsome the only problem i had with it is that it was purple i mean really purple
like Barney the dinosaur . it was no big deal at first since i do my own refinishing but when i went to take the barrel off it would not fit in the receiver block.

problem with dpms is flat tops are very popular and the flat top they offer weighs ALOT more than a standard flat top reciever i guess about 3x heavier or more. They make a A2 and all it is a righty made left had they done the same with a flat top i think that lefties would have been more likly to buy them even with the useless righty shell block. the other thing thats good about the dpms is other than the receiver and bolt they interchange with all mil spec ar15 parts. i have put over 1000 rd through my flat top between 2 barrels originally had a 16" oly ss and then a 14.5 with permently attached phantom for 16" lenth crome moly and other than in the first 50 rds which it locked up several times then i put a smith carrier in in lubed it really good and  never had a hick up again funtioned great.

I own a DPMS Flat top and A2  but between the stag and dpms i do prefer the stag since its a true lefty and is light weight, shell deflector is on the correct side so this will keep the shells out of my righty friends  faces although it was fun seeing them get hit with hot shells insted of me. another thing is if you use it in a tactical postion the forward assist does not poke you in the belly anymore

it may look odd since you have been seeing the righties so long but they do look really cool (other than the purple color) to  a lefty also they Are AF alcoa forge marked same as most colt m4s .

For shooting there is no reason for me to own a right handed upper anymore other than to use a .22 kit or to use a 7.62x39 upper.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I got one the thing is awsome the only problem i had with it is that it was purple i mean really purple
like Barney the dinosaur . it was no big deal at first since i do my own refinishing but when i went to take the barrel off it would not fit in the receiver block.

problem with dpms is flat tops are very popular and the flat top they offer weighs ALOT more than a standard flat top reciever i guess about 3x heavier or more. They make a A2 and all it is a righty made left had they done the same with a flat top i think that lefties would have been more likly to buy them even with the useless righty shell block. the other thing thats good about the dpms is other than the receiver and bolt they interchange with all mil spec ar15 parts. i have put over 1000 rd through my flat top between 2 barrels originally had a 16" oly ss and then a 14.5 with permently attached phantom for 16" lenth crome moly and other than in the first 50 rds which it locked up several times then i put a smith carrier in in lubed it really good and  never had a hick up again funtioned great.

I own a DPMS Flat top and A2  but between the stag and dpms i do prefer the stag since its a true lefty and is light weight, shell deflector is on the correct side so this will keep the shells out of my righty friends  faces although it was fun seeing them get hit with hot shells insted of me. another thing is if you use it in a tactical postion the forward assist does not poke you in the belly anymore

it may look odd since you have been seeing the righties so long but they do look really cool (other than the purple color) to  a lefty also they Are AF alcoa forge marked same as most colt m4s .

For shooting there is no reason for me to own a right handed upper anymore other than to use a .22 kit or to use a 7.62x39 upper.

hmm, the one I saw wasn't purple.... oh, and they'd probably do a 7.62x39 one if you asked
it would be a custom build though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes they are really nice to deal with and comunication was great, they did offer to replace it.
but this was redish purple. Wish i got the black one you sampled. This one was obviously a mistake i'm sure the majority of them are black.

I did refinish it and its a great upper will let all know how it preforms.

i can live without the lefty 7.62 upper but what i would really like is a drop in .22 conversion like the
ceiner , I have one and hardly ever used it since when i went shooting i took my lefty dpms upper
so if i wanted to shoot .22 i had to take a spare righty

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#16]
ok, so I finally got a pre-production upper to play with, so I put it on my Rock River lower, and took it to the range. I fired about 200 rounds of mixed ammo through it, it ran fine, seemed to hit to point of aim (I didn't have time to bench it for accuracy) and it looks pretty good. Note the new carry handle that allows the dustcover to swing up fully, this is an improvement over the first one I saw. The finish was pretty good, but had a purple tint under some lighting conditions. FYI, , keep in mind that this upper is available in no-ban configuration for those of you in free states. I fired it both lefty and righty, and it worked fine.    While I'm left handed/right eye dominant I normally shoot righty, so this isn't really for me, but people who normally shoot lefty should definitely take a closer look.

Oh, and while I live close to where this is made, I am not an employee of stag or am recieving any compensation for this, other than getting to shoot something new.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I just recently picked up a stag-15 for my wife. The finish on my upper was great, it definetly was not barney purple. Maybe because I got a newer one. Anyways the rifle shot great, no problems at all. What a cool design! I had to pry it out of my wife's hands, she absoulutly loves it! Definetley scored some brownie points with the wife. I would strongly recommend lefties to take a look at this rifle.  Because why shot a rightie rifle when you could shot a left one
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The perfect solution to a twin M16 mount.

Now you're talkin.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I love mine too and agree why shot righty when a lefty is available. i think i made stag arms
mad by giving them a hard time about the purple color they wont reply to my email about
getting another one.. i have refinished mine and it looks great now put a pri sight on it
as well as arms 19 with a 3x9 scope and arms 40L

It rocks

In a right handed world its nice to have a bone thrown to you every once in a while.
I always wondered if i would have been a better guitar player had i bought the only 1 over priced
left handed guitar for sale in the city of portland in the year 1982 being a teen  i could only afford
the right handed one.

So i always support any thing made for a lefty even if it is purple. GOOD JOB TO STAG ARMS
( AND DPMS for the first lefty made upper)

BTW STAG start working on those lefty drop in .22 kits as well as other calibers
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I feel like I have just found the Holy Grail.
I was just about to break down and purchase the DPMS Lo-Pro with the (as they put it) "slightly higher than an A-3" rail.

BTW Who carries these?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#22]
mmmmmmm - I like!  I want!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I feel like I have just found the Holy Grail.
I was just about to break down and purchase the DPMS Lo-Pro with the (as they put it) "slightly higher than an A-3" rail.

BTW Who carries these?

you can order direct from www.stagarms.com and they're also a dealer on this board.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:57:54 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Wrong, DPMS has offered a left handed upper for years and I have had one for years; however it still uses the RH bolt carrier which has the gas vent holes dumping burnt powder residue inside the reciever.  It didn't function very well till I milled 2 holes on the RH side of the receiver to vent the gas!  
Now why does one need a LH upper?  Well I shoot hi-power rifle competition and I dislike having hot empties bouncing back at me off of my spotting scope while shooting prone.  They burn like hell plus beating the crap out of my hi-dollar spotting scope.  
Lyn
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Ordered mine, hopefully I'll be able to add my review shortly.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong, DPMS has offered a left handed upper for years and I have had one for years; however it still uses the RH bolt carrier which has the gas vent holes dumping burnt powder residue inside the reciever.  It didn't function very well till I milled 2 holes on the RH side of the receiver to vent the gas!  
Now why does one need a LH upper?  Well I shoot hi-power rifle competition and I dislike having hot empties bouncing back at me off of my spotting scope while shooting prone.  They burn like hell plus beating the crap out of my hi-dollar spotting scope.  
Lyn

Hey do you think a gas buster charging handle could have fixed that problem without having to do the
drilling ?

Just wondering.

Thanks

Bill
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The perfect solution to a twin M16 mount.

I was thinking one in each hand, but a mount would be sweet too!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I just recently picked up a stag-15 for my wife. The finish on my upper was great, it definetly was not barney purple. Maybe because I got a newer one. Anyways the rifle shot great, no problems at all. What a cool design! I had to pry it out of my wife's hands, she absoulutly loves it! Definetley scored some brownie points with the wifehis

You bought your wife an AR and scored brownie points! I hope you realize what a lucky, lucky man you are.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:35:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I must have missed it. Who has these, or where do you go to get one. My partner is a lefty and would like to try this I'm sure.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#30]
I just put in a order for another left-hand upper for my nephew, who is just getting into shooting. You could pick one up from www.stagarms.com, or check the Equipment Exchange, Stag  is selling them in the (AR-Parts New) section.  I would recommend this rifle to every left-hand shooter.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I just put in a order for another left-hand upper for my nephew, who is just getting into shooting. You could pick one up from www.stagarms.com, or check the Equipment Exchange, Stag  is selling them in the (AR-Parts New) section.  I would recommend this rifle to every left-hand shooter.

Thanks[

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Just got mine from the UPS man.  Beautiful.  I don't think I saw anyone mention that they come with the T#s engraved, plus side sling adapter, pleasant suprise.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot it this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#33]
What is the difference between barrel extensions?

I can not see any.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:50:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I can not see any.

I was told that the barrel extension was different, and that the new one was compatible with both lefty and righty configuration. I'll have to ask the specifics on the differences.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm willing to bet it's just another CYA statement recommended by some lawyer to avoid having some doofus swap barrels and bolts around w/out checking the headspace.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#36]
hell yea!!

its about time someone came out w/ a dedicated LEFT shooters' upper!

eventhough i'm not a lefty....but everyone deserves to have the option of shooting an AR w/ the brass flying by your head
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#37]
I have zero interest in this, but I am willing to be that if I was left handed I would be all over this.  The conversion looks nicely done.  

If DPMS has been making a product like this, they should have done a better job in marketing it, I think this will sell.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#38]
My wife is one of those screwy left handed people.  She does about half of things lefty and half righty.  Tried to have her shoot one of my scoped ARs and she couldn't.  I'd like for her to shoot more and maybe a dedicated lefty rig would be the ticket.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Are there any south paws out there that are actually affected by the brass coming out of a right side ejection port?  I (like Mongo's wife) am a screwy left handed person that does some things lefty, and some things righty.  I happen to shoot lefty (or righty, dpeends on my mood).  Anyhow, I've never really been bothered by the fact that most weapons are designed for right handed shooters (bugs the hell out of me that the SPR grip is though).  In some cases, such as bolt manipulation, I consider it an advantage becuase I dont have to take my trigger hand away from the rifle to manipulate the bolt on a bolt action (if firing from a suported position).
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:42:06 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
If DPMS has been making a product like this, they should have done a better job in marketing it, I think this will sell.

I haven't seen any ads for these, I think they are selling mostly by word of mouth/net.
I think it comes down to better design.  Big difference in the product.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#42]
The barrel is 4140 or 4150 steel. another ??? you can use the left handed upper with any lower.Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:58:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Works with any mil spec lower
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can not see any.

I was told that the barrel extension was different, and that the new one was compatible with both lefty and righty configuration. I'll have to ask the specifics on the differences.

I spoke with the guy who designed the upper, and he showed me the difference in the barrel extensions, which you can only see before the the extension is mounted on the barrel. The difference is that the back side of the lugs of the extension are chamfered on both sides, which allows the extension to be used on both left and right handed setups...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can not see any.

I spoke with the guy who designed the upper, and he showed me the difference in the barrel extensions, which you can only see before the the extension is mounted on the barrel. The difference is that the back side of the lugs of the extension are chamfered on both sides, which allows the extension to be used on both left and right handed setups...

I guess that explains it.  I tried looking with an inspection mirror but couldn't see the difference.  
I have access to an awesome borescope at work but they would kinda frown on me bringing my uppers there.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top