Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/10/2004 3:06:36 PM EDT
Looking at my first AR and Olympic seems to be the best buy with there lifetime warranty. Looking at a cheap 16 or 20 flat top that will shoot 1"moa or less. There kits are a little less but not much. Is there any thoughts on Olympic or any other brand in the same price range (cheap) I should look at?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought and built a 16" from a kit last year.  Saved around $200 from buying the same as a complete rifle.  I had the advantage of getting the kit and the receiver (about 3 months apart) from the Oly dealer at the gun show so I didn't have to pay shipping.  Fit and finish are great.  Very reliable and was very easy to assemble.  And, with what you do save, you can spend on ammo, mags or accessories.
I've also seen many people post that they like J&T, Model 1, and a few others, too.

Steve
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Olympic is trash.  

Like Tommy Boy said...  "You can slap a Warranty on a piece of shit"

Save up the extra money to buy a good rifle.  You won't be sorry you did.  "there", as you say, lifetime warranty has come in handy to many Oly owners who have had to send their junk back for rework.

Lots of people here will tell you they have had no problems, but I would never take one even for FREE.  This site used to be riddled with threads about Significant Manufacturing defects of Olympic Arms.  The complaints got so bad that Oly's rep left the site.  Rightly so!  He was a MORON.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#3]

I bought an Oly lower from someone.  It works fine, its forged.  I had to replace the hammer spring because it was to weak(bent wrong) to dent the primer.  I never asked the guy how the hell that happened, it was a cheap fix.  I am guessing that that is why the guy sold it.

Seems alright, and shoots fine, but my RRA, Armalite, and Eagle Arms(Armalite) lowers just "feel" higher quality than the Oly.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
How many have you ever purchased.  I have one that consistently shoots 5 shot groups at 100 yds that are less than .6 inches.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#5]
i built one off an oly lower and bolt. Works great. no failures, 100% functioning 24-7
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#6]
THis topic comes up often, and there will be much arguing here, with some saying Olympic is garbage, others saying they're ok, others saying theyre as good as any.  

Personally, I am very happy with mine, a 16" FAR 15.  It's a very lightweight rifle, and is extremely accurate.  I also have one of their uppers, and it seems to be just as good.  Very accurate, fit and finish is great, and I'll write more after a few hundred more rounds.  

Olympic doesn't offer a chrome lining, but if your barrel wears out prematurely, you may be able to turn it in on warranty.  

I would recommend you stay away from the Plinker, and go for one with a forged (not cast) lower.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't know about past problems, but from recent/current personal experience, Olys are a good product. About a year and a half ago helped my son put together a PCR-4 from the 20" HBAR upper kit and a stripped forged lower. 4,000 rounds later, yet to have a problem. It hits what he aims at, and never skips a beat. Total cost about $600, saved about $200 from MSRP and $150 from street price, he understands how that rifle functions, and got quite a bit of satisfaction building it himself. Based on his experience, the local dealer he bought the lower from is now stocking Olys and reports happy customers.

Even Bushmasters run into problems. Just check the Troubleshooting board. Having problems is not as important as fixing them, and no company will stay in business very long if it doesn't do so.

My .02.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Got 2 kits from Oly.  Reliable reliable and accurate.

556man
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I would stay with Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just check the Troubleshooting board.

Exactly  

If you're looking for something that is as accurate as many others match rifles, but a hell of a lot less $$, do some checking around on Oly's PCR-16. You should have no problem at all finding a PCR-16 for well under $700. Ohh, btw, they manufacture their own parts on CNC machinery...'nuff said.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Oly is as good as any,Lemons slip through any Manufacturer. I bought an Oly CAR-97 and read some threads here,I was worried to say the least.There are brand bashers of all AR Makes and models. Make your own choice.Oly has worked for me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Here are some facts about complete Olympic rifles.  You need to decide what you like or don't:

1. Barrels: Either come in stainless steel or chromoly.  No chrome lining offered.

2. Barrels: The barrels have a grove close to the muzzle so a muzzle break can be attached with set screws.  Easy to take one on and off and wont go downrange when attached.  However some hate the look.

3. They offer both cast and forged lowers.  Cast is cheaper.  So just make sure you are comparing apples to apples when comparing prices.

Its a Chevy vs. Ford sort of thing.  However if you have strong feelings about the above you should choose accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Looking at my first AR and Olympic seems to be the best buy with there lifetime warranty. Looking at a cheap 16 or 20 flat top that will shoot 1"moa or less. There kits are a little less but not much. Is there any thoughts on Olympic or any other brand in the same price range (cheap) I should look at?

The following page has the dog cheap stuff    ......www.gunsnstuff.net/FAC/009.asp
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Ah, Olys...most of the people who own 'em love 'em, and most of the people who trash 'em have never owned one.  We get an Oly thread around here about every 2 months or so.  Grab some popcorn, and sit back
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ah, Olys...most of the people who own 'em love 'em, and most of the people who trash 'em have never owned one.  We get an Oly thread around here about every 2 months or so.  Grab some popcorn, and sit back

Thank You...
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had two Oly's since 1989, one of which I assembled myself.

The guns run. Period.

They shoot well. Period.

I've had great luck with Oly's customer service (for upgrades, not problems). But then, I usually refer to them as "sir", "friend" or "buddy", rather than "moron".  Maybe that has something to do with their attitude.

Good luck on your quest.

SD
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#18]
wanashoot, what's your budget? We need a starting point...and what do you want/need your rifle to do?  I'm assuming by "cheap" you mean around $600?  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:31:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a PCR-1 and a CAR97-M4. Both have functioned flawlessly since
the first round. MarkM has a burr under his saddle about a past experience
with Olympic that he likes to bring up every chance he gets. No one manufacturer
is perfect, Oly has solved most if not all of their QA and customer service issues.
I would buy again, no hesitation.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#20]
If you're gonna use it for serious work in the jungles of SE asia, you need a chrome lined barrel. For any other purpose under the sun, you'll be perfectly happy with an Oly.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a OLY Plinker that I just upgraded the lower on to a forged lower cause I wanted the "Dragon" symbol on it. I have no complaints whatsoever about OLY. I also have a new Bushy that is a fine shooter.  I never owned any others so I wouldn't comment on brands I have never owned.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I own a PCR16 which I've had no trouble with.  It is very accurate (sub moa with Winchester value pack ammo).  Occasional failure to eject when I first got it, but  seems to have improved recently.  Frankly my fancy AR10 from Armalite is not as accurate and less reliable.

Oly generally doesn't have as good a reputation  as Bushmaster or RRA and doesn't have chromelined barrels (they're either stainless or chromoly).  However I have a heavy stainless steel barrel that's free floated and I think its great.  Accurate and dissapates heat pretty well so it stays accurate longer if I put more than one round every five minutes through the barrel.  Mine has about 1000 rounds through it and runs like a champ.  Based on my experience they're a very good value and if I had it to do over again I'd still buy an Oly.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If you're gonna use it for serious work in the jungles of SE asia, you need a chrome lined barrel. For any other purpose under the sun, you'll be perfectly happy with an Oly.

I'll second that! I've owned Olympic preban lowers. They were certianly just as good as any other lower I own. I never had a single problem with any of them. I would recomend an Olympic to anybody.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#24]
I was hoping to stay in the 600 to 700 range.  I want a gun I can build on that is why the Flat top. I would like to have a freefloating barell now but I can always do that later. I have not decided on options yet. JT is a hour and half away from the house but there warranty is a only a year and nobody talks about Doublestar receivers good or bad. I have 2 or 3 gun shows in the next few week within 3 hours of the house. Dayton, Louisville and Nashville some people say to go there to purchase.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I was hoping to stay in the 600 to 700 range.  I want a gun I can build on that is why the Flat top. I would like to have a freefloating barell now but I can always do that later. I have not decided on options yet. JT is a hour and half away from the house but there warranty is a only a year and nobody talks about Doublestar receivers good or bad. I have 2 or 3 gun shows in the next few week within 3 hours of the house. Dayton, Louisville and Nashville some people say to go there to purchase.

If you can live with a A2 instead of a flat top you can go to ADCO and get a TASC set up with a float tube for About $750 to your door . If you forgo the free float for now you can get it for under $700.$705.
adcofirearms.com./rockriver/rraffl.cfm?page=rra

Or get a lower for $172 and a kit for $450.
That comes to $622 for a flat top rifle .

Just call first and make sure they have it in hand or you will have a bit of a wait .
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I like the prices, are they RRA kits? If not what brand?  I wonder how much will I loose in accuracy if I go with a 20" ss now and add the Floating tube later.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I have had two Oly's. The first one was a CAR97 that had a "KABOOM"

The second was a custom Varmint rig. It shot 3/8 groups @ 100 yards all day.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I like the prices, are they RRA kits? If not what brand?  I wonder how much will I loose in accuracy if I go with a 20" ss now and add the Floating tube later.

Yes that is RRA . The only thing that could have made me happier would be if I bought it sooner.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:35:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Olympic is trash.  

Like Tommy Boy said...  "You can slap a Warranty on a piece of shit"

Save up the extra money to buy a good rifle.  You won't be sorry you did.  "there", as you say, lifetime warranty has come in handy to many Oly owners who have had to send their junk back for rework.

Lots of people here will tell you they have had no problems, but I would never take one even for FREE.  This site used to be riddled with threads about Significant Manufacturing defects of Olympic Arms.  The complaints got so bad that Oly's rep left the site.  Rightly so!  He was a MORON.

Ditto!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:40:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Two words...........

Bush Master!
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:40:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Olympic

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:03:38 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought two Oly Prebans........both were awesome.  Sold one.  Still have the other one.

It does everything I need it to do....and it loves the new LMT upper.

Truth be told, I just would like the ban to set and I'll retire the Oly to the safe. Replace it with a NEW manufactured Armalite.

Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:06:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Two words...........

Bush Master!

Oh no, not the dreaded "Go Bushmaster" posts again.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:41:50 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Two words...........

Bush Master!

Oh no, not the dreaded "Go Bushmaster" posts again.

Notice a trend with BVM?  He only plugs Ford, Wilson Combat, Bushmaster, BVM, etc.......

I think he must buy stocks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 8:11:54 AM EDT
[#35]
I can buy a new Olympic PCR-16 for $700 out-th-door at a local shop.  The Bushmasters that I have seen are $150-250 more.  If those of you who are completely against Olympic would please send me the extra $ to "upgrade" to the Bushmaster it would be greatly appreciated.  Otherwise, I will buy the gun that I can afford.  In the end, I am confident that I will be able to hit just as many paper (or metal) targets and have just as much fun as those with more expensive guns,  but after all, this is just one guy's very humble opinion!

I would think that everyone on the AR-15 forum would be trying the encourage more people to join in on the fun in the means that they can afford.  I hope that someone new to AR's does not read the bashing posts and think that they have to have a high end gun just to get in and start having fun which is certainly not the case.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I got an Oly PCR1 for my first AR. It was affordable, reliable and got me hooked
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice weapon,Meltdown
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I've had zero problems with 6 different Olys!

teamroper2004
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#39]
My Oly Eliminator (their version of the Dissipator) has has Zero stoppages after 3,000+ rounds of XM193, winchester white box, and Black hills 55grain. It is nothing if not reliable.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top