Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2004 1:42:12 AM EDT
CAN SOMEBODY LET ME KNOW THE PROS AND CONS OF A BUSHMASTER.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:51:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Pro's - Well made, mil spec, great customer service.

Con's -You have to pay for it.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:39:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Pros - Chrome lined barrel and 5.56 chamber of the correct 4150 steel.  Overall, excellent fit and finish.  

Cons - Use of plastic trigger guard <but that's a simple replacement>  FSB installed before barrel finish applied...

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:10:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pros - Chrome lined barrel and 5.56 chamber of the correct 4150 steel.  Overall, excellent fit and finish.  

Cons - Use of plastic trigger guard <but that's a simple replacement>  FSB installed before barrel finish applied...

Pro - FSB installed correctly.

con - trigger cannot be blocked by bent guard.

Absolutely the best and mid priced.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:49:48 AM EDT
[#4]
In this case, you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:54:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Only had one problem with a mis-indexed barrel on one. BM had it fixed and returned in less than 2 weeks. Never had a problem with any of the other 8+ that I have personally owned.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]
My bushmaster has aprox. 6-7 thousand rounds it.  It has always worked perfect.  I shoot lots of cheap russian ammo and use english steel magazines.  I'm saving money for another right  now.  The only complaint I have is the heavy trigger pull.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I chose my BM M4gery due to price, availability, quality.
Yes, the con is that I had to pay for it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]
pro's: very close to mil-spec in terms of barrel steel, standard chrome lining, true 5.56nato chamber, totally interchangable parts with other makers and milspec parts (not like Colt) very decent quality control (not perfect but who's is?)

con's: more money than some makers, some people will think your a chromelined snob

I did have a problem with barrel indexing, (bought it during the 1999 rush) too lazy to send it for warranty, but luckily, I realized i should have bought a flattop instead of an A2, so I swapped uppers.

But at least I know how to swap uppers and barrels now!

My next rifle will have many Bushy parts, but I'm gonna build to get it like I want it from the get-go.

Tex78

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#9]
All of my Bushmaster products have been of high quality and 100% reliable.  They are the only uppers I own at this time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing better....

Edited to add:

Customer svc. is top notch.. These guys DO care about their customers..
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#11]
It is the best there is, equalled only by Colt and Armalite.  You would do well with any of those brands.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#12]
NONE BETTER.................. period. Most if any are not as good.
The only bad thing about getting a BM is having to figure out if you should wait until after the ban sunsets or get it now.

MASTER BLASTER

Join Army Special Forces! Ask me how.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine is great.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Pros: Best ARs in the world

Cons: everyone else gets jealous.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
FSB installed before barrel finish applied...

Is this true? if so, is the barrel under the FSB 'naked', meaning with no finish whatsoever?

Thanks.
HUNTER.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#16]
But you can't take out the Bushmaster installed FSB easy either... ask Mr.Duffy
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#17]
pros = mostly the ones stated earlier, yada yada yada

cons = have to eat only ramen noodles so you can afford ammunition because you are constantly at the range.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Pros: Best ARs in the world

Cons: everyone else gets jealous.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this true? if so, is the barrel under the FSB 'naked', meaning with no finish whatsoever?

Thanks.
HUNTER.

Yes, it's true:

Pros: Good value, many configurations and options available, proper barrel steel, chrome lining standard on most models.

Cons: Worst warranty in the industry, 1/7ROT barrel availability is limited, final QC inspection (or lack of it) allows more problem rifles through than other brands e.g. rifles with canted front sights, overtorqued and cockeyed barrels, and soft FCG parts.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I have never had any problems with any of my Bushmasters, nor have several of my friends and coworkers who have them.   Except for one:

Brand new BM Dissipator.   Dissipated the factory brake within the first 100rds.   Wouldn't have believed it if I heard it, but I was there and so was my digital camera.   Glad it wasn't my rifle.

I do wish however, that the finish was a little more dark black color like newer Colt/LMT/RRA etc.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:01:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Con:  pistol grip screw requires an allen wrench.  I replaced mine with the milspec slotted screw.  I paid more for the postage than I did for the screw itself.  I figured the odds of having a screwdriver when I needed it were greater than having a 3/16" allen wrench.  I realize this is just a "minor con" much like the plastic trigger guard.  Thankfully both can be swapped out easily and affordably.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:04:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I do wish however, that the finish was a little more dark black color like newer Colt/LMT/RRA etc.  

Krylon baby...Krylon..
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:18:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I have two pre-ban Colt's and a Bushmaster patrolman's carbine, love them all, and all are completely equal in quality and performance. The whole debate of Colt vs Bushmaster is rediculous.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:33:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Bushmaster's SUCK, believe me you don't want one.

Hesse is the only way to go!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

More Bushmaster's for me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm at roughly 2.6k worth of rounds through my Bushmaster M4-knock off.  With the exception of some early issues with out-of-spec no-name mags, I've never had a malfunction, and I don't exactly baby my rifle.  Also, when I was at roughly 2.5k rounds fired, I cleaned my extractor for the first time.  I've very little experience with AR15s from different manufacturers (aside from gov't. issue M16A2s), but I can wholeheartedly endorse Bushmaster and their products.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

HAHA,  although that is funny as hell... for people who KNOW why that's funny....  please, dont confuse the newb  

take care.

Stainless
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#30]
They are good rifles with good parts from what I have read, If not one of the best< The main reason I am going to use many Bushmaster parts in my rifle is because they except American Express.

Cons,,, they have competitors that offer "equal/near equal" quality for cheaper.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.
HUNTER.

Yes, it's true:

home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Bushy_Barrel.JPG

Pros: Good value, many configurations and options available, proper barrel steel, chrome lining standard on most models.

Cons: Worst warranty in the industry, 1/7ROT barrel availability is limited, final QC inspection (or lack of it) allows more problem rifles through than other brands e.g. rifles with canted front sights, overtorqued and cockeyed barrels, and soft FCG parts.

Well, that kinda sucks doesn't it?.

HUNTER.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:21:58 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HAHA,  although that is funny as hell... for people who KNOW why that's funny....  please, dont confuse the newb  

take care.

Stainless

Yeah good joke! Everybody knows you should just get something from Speciul Wepuns instead!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#33]
For a complete rifle Bushmaster is the way to go.  Next would be Armalite.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't know why everyone thinks Bushy is on par with COLT.

I have 3 bushy complete uppers which I use to save wear on my COLTs.  The bushies are adequate and reliable.  BUT, not one of them has a ZERO that is Close to MECHANICAL ZERO.

I have to put my front sight posts up too high and drift my rear Ap's to get to ZERO.  My Colts are MUCH MORE CLOSE TO MECHANICAL ZERO.

I had one Bushy lower, but I sold it.  Mags fit tighter in it than my Colts and my Eagle/Armalite.

I think bushy is much more civilian friendly, but The quality doesn't come close to Colt.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Q: How good is a bushmaster ?

A: 24
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#36]
They are every bit as good as all the Colts I have ever shot/owned.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#37]
THEIR ABOUT THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Con:  pistol grip screw requires an allen wrench.  I replaced mine with the milspec slotted screw.  I paid more for the postage than I did for the screw itself.  I figured the odds of having a screwdriver when I needed it were greater than having a 3/16" allen wrench.  I realize this is just a "minor con" much like the plastic trigger guard.  Thankfully both can be swapped out easily and affordably.  

THe last bushy lower I bought had a slot head P-grip screw. That was in January.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#40]
To MARKM you have to adjust the front site higher because if you are using a flat top with the colt carry handle the colt spec is .040 higher,if its a fixed handle then it could be you,all my Bushies zero perfect but I have a flat top with a colt handle and had to get a taller front post to compensate for the colt handle.Colt is the only AR carbine that changed the spec to a higher front site base for the M4A1 and the like wise rear handle.As far as quality colts history is plagued by quality control problems...and you can go all the way back to 1847 with the colt walker to confirm that.They use older tooling for their civilian rifles because as you know its all the same forgings for just about every one its how the sub contractor machines the uppers and lowers to an individual companies specs is what counts,to say colt quality is better is mis leading.
so even if you blame the sub contractor colt still accepts it and stamps their name on it,thats still conspiracy to manufacture a bad rifle in my book
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top