Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2003 7:23:45 PM EDT
guys i have a colt preban 20inch.
i was wanting another ar just to have fun with.
what are your opions on the plinker just for plinking and having fun with?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The Plinker is a decent rifle but it isn't going to win you any beauty contests. Mine worked flawlessly but you could fit and finish wasn't up to par with my other AR's. If you want a "name brand" rifle on the cheap, Olympic is having a sale on their 16" PCR kits for $399 plus shipping (or else pick up a kit from Model 1 for the same price).  Add a lower for around $100 and you'll come up with a much better rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#2]
cool thanks engineer
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#3]
ALso of note is that plinkers have cast receivers. That must account for some of the roughness...

Engineer, you the same guy that pulled the trigger at the same time on The High Road with me?  
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm with Engineer - you'd get a much better rifle using one of their PCR kits since they have a forged receiver and then just buy a forged lower from your local FFL or even on the EE boards here.  

Just as an FYI, I don't sell many stripped lowers myself, but I've seen RRA lowers going for under $100 which have an overall better fit, finish and function than the Oly anyway.  If you got one of those along with the 16" PCR kit, you'd be looking at a damn fine complete rifle for around $500!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Hmmm...  Why is it better?

I converted 2 Olympic cast lowers to full auto and both have shot a LOT of rounds and work just fine...

Cast will work fine for 95% of the people.  Those who abuse their firearms, get forged.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hmmm...  Why is it better?

I converted 2 Olympic cast lowers to full auto and both have shot a LOT of rounds and work just fine...

Cast will work fine for 95% of the people.  Those who abuse their firearms, get forged.
View Quote

Functionally, the cast receivers were fine (as I said before, mine functioned flawlessly). My contention was that the finish of the receiver was not up to par and mine had voids in the mag fence and the area near the pistol grip/trigger guard.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#7]
for $100 more if you are considering Oly and don't want to put together a kit, go with their new GI model - all forged A1 upper and forged lower. you can get them for around $699.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top