Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 4:12:04 PM EDT
I'm considering buying a red dot scope for my AR15. I want to mount it on the handle, even though it is a flattop. Will this work ok?

What is an inexpensive, half-way decent red dot scope?  Are any of them a magnifying type?

thanks for your help.
mcclaran
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
you want to mount it on top of a removable carry handle??
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a millet red dot its paralax free like the aimpoint and around $130 to $160.Not as rugged as my aimpoint but half the price it was my second red dot.I also have a tasco propoint if you are looking for some thing inexpensive Im selling it for $70 shipped its camo and 2 years old not used hard at all it will just need to be sighted in as I had it on my .12ga 590..let me know my email is  [email protected]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm considering buying a red dot scope for my AR15. I want to mount it on the handle, even though it is a flattop. Will this work ok?
View Quote

It can work - but be 'OK' that is debateable, and generally not.  I recommend against it.

Putting a red dot on top of the carry handle results in higher than needed trajectory.

What is an inexpensive, half-way decent red dot scope?
View Quote

OKO.

Are any of them a magnifying type?
View Quote

The only magnifying 'red dot' is the 2x Aimpoint and that is almost universally derided.

The next choice would be a BAC equipped ACOG - which is a scope that works like a red-dot.  I love my Compact ACOG but they are pricy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for everybody's input. i appreciate it.
mcclaran
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#5]
use a swan/weaver mount over the front handguard. this allows the site to be in same plane as open sites.  base price aimpoint comes with one ring for mounting on flat-top, not handle, for around $300.  i have an OK reflex site mounted forward over hand guard on short a2 and results are excellent.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top