Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2003 9:45:26 PM EDT
Wasn't sure whether to put this in the AR10 section or here, but here goes...

My buddy is interested in buying the DPMS RFA2-308 and he found some info on the web that said it didn't like to shoot surplus ammo.  Has anyone ran into problems like this? Or was the info he got bullshit?

Thanks,

-St
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#1]
MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION!!!
There is so much surplus, in varying degree of quality that many people stay away from it.
In most cases, if you stick to well known and established manufacturers, you should be OK.
U.S. manu. surplus can be every bit as good as more expensive commercial loads.
If you are unsure about a company/manufacture, ask in the ammo section before buying.
Lots of good info from them, and they do know their ammo.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:47:54 AM EDT
[#2]
In short, US made surplus is fine, but I would avoid foreign made surplus unless it from a NATO known manufacturer of good ammo, for example Portugese .308 battle packs are excellent quality and still priced good. The Indian made .308 for instance is crap with weak brass and frequent case separations occurring.

Ammo from european countries with NATO headstamp is usually OK if in origianl packaging, so you know it's all original.

I shot nothing but Portugese made NATO 7.62x51 ball out of my HK91 when I still had it, never had a misfire or issue with it, I must have gone through three or four cases of 1000. Cheaper than dirt used to have this in 200 round battle packs (OD green heavy plastic hermetically sealed packs with carry handle - you could keep it in the pond outside for 10 years, pull it out, and shoot it)for $29.99 each. Excellent ammo at that!

Now to just find a range that allowed FMJ, that was a different story....

edited to add: looks like they no longer have the portugese but they are selling NATO spanish made .308 by the 20 rnd box for $3.89, thats a good price, and Santa Barbara is good ammo. Brass case, berdan primed, non-corrosive.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=AMM%2D693&mscssid=HPXCFCKSNUW18LVNG306HUAEXFKGDS57
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top