Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2003 3:56:31 PM EDT
Why would I use an A1 buttstock on my Colt 20" Match Target rather than the A2 buttstock? advantages or disses.
 I am of average build and not using a heavy outergarment.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Average build and no overcoat, a-2 stock is likely best. A short eye relief acog may benifit from a-1 stock. Personal thing. A 16" total barrel length carbine with an a-1 stock has its place as well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I like a A1 with a Daniel Def A1 Burnsed loop.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I am tall and have gorilla arms. I like the A2 because I don't feel like I am scrunching myself up to shoot the rifle.

~AbM
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 3:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]
So the A1 is best used w/a short eye relief?  This is a Norinco 4x20.  I have to get a little closer w/o having my cheek on the edge of the cheekpiece.

How much shorter is the A1?  Thanks..
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:56:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Its 5/8" shorter. I am 6'3" and have long arms and the A2 stock was a bit too long for me. I got the Cav Arms A1 stock, ditched their buttplate, added the orginal A2's buttplate and now it feels super comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#6]
For an average build person the A1 stock IS the best.  A proper cheekweld with the AR-15/M16 has the user with their nose just about touching the chargind handle.  This gives a consistant sight picture.

The A2 stock is too long for most people to do this comfortably.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:11:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Changing to an A1 stock made a huge difference for me, much better. It's only 5/8" but it feels like a new rifle. Shouldering now produces instant correct eye relief where before I had to shoulder, then scooch forward to get a good picture, and thats with the TA11 mounted as far to the rear as my ARMS #40 would allow. Also, moving the weight rearward is perceptable as my 16" V-Match heavy barrel is front heavy anyway. I am 6' by the way.

Nuts{WOC}
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:41:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I am 6'3" and the A1 just feels/handles better to me - a matter of personal preference & experience, IMO.  I am just about through changing all of my fixed-stock ARs over to A1 or A1-length (ACE, etc.) stocks.

Also, while I can use the A2 in a pinch my (MUCH smaller) wife pretty much [i]needs[/i] the shorter stocks. YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 6:05:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the replies.  I feel that you guys are consistant in my thinking....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top