Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2003 1:12:03 PM EDT
Hello Gents,

I've been thinking about picking up one of those supposed "SP1" uppers from places like CDNN and Kiesler's. These are advertized as "like new" Colt slab-sided uppers. A fellow mentioned that they are actually surplus M16 uppers, which would mean that they have standard-sized front push-pin holes. Is this the case, or are they really large-hole SP1 uppers? What's the real deal?

Thanks,
Brewer
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't speak for the Kiesler pieces, but the CDNN units are not big hole and they are not slab sides.  They are standard US GI M16A1 pieces; small hole and forward assist types. Apparently they came with the bolt/carrier and charging handles installed, and CDNN decided to break them down and sell the pieces individually.

I bought one of the bolt/carrier assys, and while it showed some very slight rub marks on the bearing sides, it was obviously unfired. Good enough for me, given the price.

If you, in fact, are looking for an SP1 big hole upper, let me suggest you keep an eye on the Parts for Sale section of the Equipment Exchange section on this site.  It seems like one or two show up over there just about every week[:D]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:05:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Hot Damn! Actually, what you've described is exactly what I'm looking for. May have to get one...

Thanks for your clarification,
Brewer
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Do You have a link to the Colt SP1 carriers? I looked at both websites and did not find them. The uppers now come with no bolt.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 2:18:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I think they're still listed at www.cdnninvestments.com , under AR-15 parts. They have nearly-new Colt bolt carrier groups for $100, too.
Brewer
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:22:30 AM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www.cdnninvestments.com/arsp1upnewco.html[/url]

Man, $400.00!?!?!?! I was expecting to see a good price, not that price!

I [s]would think[/s] am positive one could build that for a much better price, especially without bolt, and have a better barrel, not a 1/12...

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 6:02:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I got the new complete upper from Kiesler's. Was definitely unfired but came with the FA bolt carrier. Oops! Traded with a hint of cash for a new lower.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I got the new complete upper from Kiesler's. Was definitely unfired but came with the FA bolt carrier. Oops! Traded with a hint of cash for a new lower.
View Quote

Without getting into the argument (ongoing) about whether or not an M16 carrier is legal, if you're worried about it, simply grind that shoulder back about 1/4-3/8 inch. I have nothing but M16 carriers, so modified, in all my ARs. The full weight carrier works a hell of a lot better than the cut away abortions that Colt, and all the other guys foisted off on us for years.

Colt apparently finally saw the light on this, and recent Colt pieces are now coming out with exactly that type of carrier; and surprise, surprise, all the aftermarket dodos are following right along.  Rock River's favorite parts pusher, Pete in NH, even has the balls to call it new and improved. Yeah--new and improved in 1963!!![;D]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#8]
The ones at Kieslers all have the FA bolt carrier, that I know for certain.  They also have the tear-drop forward assist.  The ones I have looked at appear to be about 99% finish wise and 100% bore.  The only wear to the finish is from rubbing in their storage boxes over the years and $499 buys the complete upper, bolt carrier/bolt and charging handle.  The forward pin is small hole and will fit any standard lower.  Of course, you will need an adapter for the large pin Colt lowers.  The $400 ones at CDNN do not have the bolt carrier or bolt nor the charging handle.  It is too bad about the FA bolt carrier though as I have been wrestling for weeks over getting one and putting it into storage at a relatives until the AWB goes away.  Still, I would have to modify or replace the bolt carrier so...cannot decide.

I talked with Wes Kiesler today, owner' son, and he told me he has copies of letters sent to DPMS and BushMaster as well as a letter sent to Kiesler's from the ATFE that state it is legal to have a FA bolt carrier in a semi rifle.  Only if you don't have the sear along with other trigger parts would having the bolt carrier be illegal.  Also, it seems this has been discussed a lot [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=14&t=176013]here[/url]and those in the know say it is perfectly legal to use the FA bolt carrier in a semi.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top