Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2003 4:24:34 PM EDT
A customer has asked me to take a couple of his old AR's to place on my table at the gun show this weekend, and I'd like a little more info on them.

Both are pre-ban rifles.

One is an Olympic Arms, SGW Mod CAR AR, serial #Z25** (Oly says this is a May '84 - Feb '95 gun), 20" barrel, fixed stock, teardrop bolt assist(no shell deflector, flash suppressor and bayonet mount

The other is a Sendra XM 15 A1 serial #9**, also a 20" barrel and fixed stock. Triangular handguard and three-prong flash hider,bayonet mount, and round bolt assist (no shell deflector).

My question is, the uppers have no markings and I was wondering if they we're Colt uppers? Did anyone else make uppers in the early 80's and if so, how can I tell?

Also, I had never heard of Sendra,and could find very little history on them, but it appears to be a very well made lower. Are they well respected as lowers go?

And finally, the most routine question, what would be a fair asking price? Not interested in making a killing, but would like to get my customer his moneys worth. Both guns show some wear on the stocks, I'd say about 90% finish, but the metal and internals look very nice. These guns were obviously handled but not shot often.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Joseph King
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#1]
the gunshow in Ft Walton perhaps? .. I was there

I dont know much about Sendra, but I dont believe they made complete SP1's so it looks as both rifles are pre-ban lowers with original SP1 uppers.

asking price: $1200 - $1600
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Tivo,
  The show this coming up weekend is the Suncoast show in Ft. Myers.

Appreciate the reply. I need to find out more about AR's. ;)

Joe
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#3]
If the uppers are Colt made, they will have two little markings on them, just ahead of and above the ejection port.  One will be a small triangle stamp, the other a small square.  You may need a bright light and a magnifying glass to clearly see them, but if they're Colt pieces, they will be there.[:D]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The uppers are marked,  "L  M"  under the front sight, and the barrel is marked,  "C  MP  Chromed Bore"...

any ideas as to the makers on these?

thanks again,

Joe
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Details on markings for Colts...

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts/

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the link DMac, it helped alot!

Joe
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the asking price of $1200-1600 is going to be way to high, at least it would be out here.

All Colt SP1s go for about $1000, less if you look hard. I know prices vary around the country, so take this for what its worth.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again. Actually, we'll be keeping the prices down to around $800-$900. That should be fair and possibly get them sold.

Thanks for all the input.

Sincerely,
Joe KIng
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#10]
They will sell at those prices, I am sure. I just traded $1100 worth of guns (2 rifles and a pistol) for an early Eagle Arms Coal Valley preban at the Dallas Market Hall gun show - just to be sure I have one in case the sunset clause is amended before the sunset date - there will always be a few paranoid types like me looking for a fair deal. I will happily take the loss if it does sunset.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top