Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2003 5:36:43 AM EDT
Hi,
  I am looking for a 16 inches carbine. I looked at Armalite, Bushmaster and Olympic. It seem to be a difference in front sight/gaz port arrangement between Armalite and the 2 others. On their 16 inches model Armalite use a medium lenght hanguard because the gas port is install at the same distance from the muzzle as on a regular 20 inches barrel(About 4 inches). Bushmaster and Olympic use the shorty model hanguard. On these model the gas port is futher back (about 6 inches) compare to the Armalite. I am wondering if one configuration is better than the other. Any comments???
Thanks to all.
Clovis
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:44:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:02:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Clovis,
IGNORE Aimless as he's noted for having exquisitely poor taste !!  [:D]

The ArmaLite midi set-up with the gas port forward (standard) is the better and more reliable set-up.*  (Yes, I have primarily ArmaLite AR-15's.)

* This should start the first duel of the morning !

5sub
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi, why do you say it is a more reliable set-up?. I knew there are problems when the gas port is too close from the muzzle like the 11.5 inches. I tought that 4 inches was kind of a minimum for reliability therefore 6 might be better or not? Is Armalite stand alone in that type of configuration?
Thanks,
Clovis
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:59:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hi, why do you say it is a more reliable set-up?. I knew there are problems when the gas port is too close from the muzzle like the 11.5 inches. I tought that 4 inches was kind of a minimum for reliability therefore 6 might be better or not? Is Armalite stand alone in that type of configuration?
Thanks,
Clovis
View Quote

I'THINK' RRA may have a similar set-up.  Remember ArmaLite today is borrowing not only from the earlier AR-15's but also the AR-18.

5sub
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top