AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/8/2003 7:54:50 PM EDT
XM8.com???

www.hk-usa.com/pages/military-le/rifles-carbines/xm8.html

www.hk-usa.com/pages/military-le/rifles-carbines/xm8armytimes.html

"If all goes well, the XM8 could be ready for fielding by late summer 2005...

The XM8's gas system instead is connected to a mechanical operating rod, which pushes back the bolt to eject the casing and chamber the new round each time the weapon is fired. So there's no carbon residue constantly being blown back into the chamber, reducing the need to clean the weapon as often.

“What happens is you don't get gases blowing back into the chamber that have contaminates in them,” said Lt. Col. Matthew Clarke, the head of Product Manager Individual Weapons.

The final decision will be up to the Army’ senior leadership, but weapons officials said they were confident the XM8 weapon system will be adopted."

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I predict the next US service weapon to be an AR with an HK gas system.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, HK has developed a gas-piston upper...

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:16:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Was that Hasbro on the side of that thing ?  [booze]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
An answer in search of a question.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, this is the first time this has been posted... well, at least the first time today!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:48:43 PM EDT
[#7]
[img]http://www.hk-usa.com/pages/military-le/mil-leimages/xm8_rightmed.jpg[/img]

HUmmmm...interesting... but where do I put the water?  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.hk-usa.com/pages/military-le/mil-leimages/xm8_rightmed.jpg[/url]

HUmmmm...interesting... but where do I put the water?  [:D]
View Quote

[ROFL]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#9]
What, no rails?  [>:/]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Was that Hasbro on the side of that thing ?  [booze]
View Quote

No, but if you look really close, you can see the words[B]
"Mattel, The Ken and Barbie space adventures collection"[/B].
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#11]
THAT THING IS AWESOME!!!

I don't know what you guys are talking about! That has to be the best coat-hanger I've ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to get my hands on one!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:53:09 AM EDT
[#12]
The Fix Is In.

HK has reorganized and incorporated in the USA and is spending buku bucks to build a factory here.   Guess what they'll be building to satisfy the Buy American Act?

[url]http://www.hk-usa.com/corporate/media/gbreak.html[/url]

Some of you are becoming your old man.  Your beloved M16 was called the "Mattel Mouse Gun"  by the die-hard M1 Garand fanatics.

Any crotchety old Springfield nuts left?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:20:15 AM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://www.hk-usa.com/corporate/media/mediaimages/groundbreakdemo.jpg[/img]
She's cute, but I don't think I would want her on the any team to clear a threat.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:35:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Any rifle that came after the .45/70 trapdoor ain't worth pissing on.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:48:04 AM EDT
[#16]
How the hell do you do a manual of arms with that thing?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:48:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I"LL BE BACK! Looks like a terminator weapon. Typical HK mags, probably too much $$$. They kinda look like Aug mags at the top.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:50:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Here we go again.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I just can't picture bad-ass Marines carrying that goofy ass looking [s]rifle[/s] "coat-hanger".  Actually, it may be a perfect weapon; when the Iraqi's, al Qaeda or Taliban see us coming with those they may just drop dead from laughing.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:52:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here we go again.
View Quote

Yep, it's like that movie "Ground Hog Day".
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:04:50 AM EDT
[#21]
If HK builds a factory here, and assuming they will also manufacture "sniper" rifles like the PSG-1, does that mean we can now buy new ones???
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:10:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here we go again.
View Quote

Yep, it's like that movie "Ground Hog Day".
View Quote

Dont get me wrong. As I said in one of the "other" threads, I really like the way it looks. I think it is a very eye appealing rifle, and the operating systems seems to be a very good one. It should be a fine weapon, and I would really like the chance to own one. However, I dont see where it does anything better or different than an AR style rifle does. I just dont see it replacing the M16/AR. While I like it, if I had to choose, I'm taking my AR, period.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.hk-usa.com/corporate/media/mediaimages/groundbreakdemo.jpg[/url]
She's cute, but I don't think I would want her on the any team to clear a threat.
View Quote

Wouldn't mind clearing her.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Personally I don't like the looks of it but I will agree that I don't see it replacing the M-16/M4.  And like you, if I had to choose I'm taking my AR over it any day of the week.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:00:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I"LL BE BACK! Looks like a terminator weapon.
View Quote

"Phased plasma rifle, in the forty watt range" ??
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I predict the next US service weapon to be an AR with an HK gas system.
View Quote

This will never happen. Do you really think the US government would choose the most efficient, cost effective, and most logical choice?

I wish you were right. It would be SO easy to design an AR with a piston type gas system that could use current issue accessories.

Then as time when on they could design polymer lowers with folding/adjustable stocks. Lighter wieght sighting systems.

And it would look better too (not that that matters).
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I think I saw that thing in The Fifth Element. Wonder if it does all that stuff though..
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I"LL BE BACK! Looks like a terminator weapon.
View Quote

"Phased plasma rifle, in the forty watt range" ??
View Quote

Hey just whats on the shelf, pal....
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Great! Except this new weapon exceeds the weight goals of the Land Warrior program...also, what new benefit is there to the weapon except the nifty grenade launcher? Still fires .556 ball ammo...
  where is the revolution in this weapon that makes it worth the cost? The piston technology has beenaround for decades...its just a different package...what will it cost? As opposed to a FNC...Daewoo...or SIG 551?
  I think there is a major selling job going on here with nothing much really new...what do you think?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Since HK have plant here they need to stop thinking about XM8 and just manufacture accurized HK91 and semiauto G36 after the AW bun sunsets. Me thinks that will bring more money to them. (I would take semiauto G36 over any XM8)
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Reading that article, it doesnt state anywhere that they are doing anything for the CIVILIAN market. Screw the XM8 and HK.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#32]
I kinda like the XM8, and am awaiting to see how it will do compared to the M16, remeber its still a prototype and can be expected to have initial problems as the early M16 had. Will it evolve to a better weapon? Its to early to tell but at least be open minded about the possibility.

As far as Hk making a civilian version here in the US I'd buy one, but I doubt it will happen, this snobish atitude which HK has towards its civilian market is a terrible way to conduct business
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Since HK have plant here they need to stop thinking about XM8 and just manufacture accurized HK91 and semiauto G36 after the AW bun sunsets. Me thinks that will bring more money to them. (I would take semiauto G36 over any XM8)
View Quote

Well, if the HK91 and G36 were named in the bill like the AR15, then experation is the only way.  But, then again, they could just rename it....  IF they decide to start making those to sell in the US.

At with any thing developed, time will tell....

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#34]
there building a new HK plant, so I think the gubberment has there mind set on these airsoft toys.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The XM8's gas system instead is connected to a mechanical operating rod, which pushes back the bolt to eject the casing and chamber the new round each time the weapon is fired. So there's no carbon residue constantly being blown back into the chamber, reducing the need to clean the weapon as often.
View Quote

Shades of 1966.  Gee, no need to issue a cleaning kit.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Where is the cup holder?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Where is the cup holder?
View Quote

It is a modular accessory that can be purchased separately. But then again...where do you put it?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I owned an HK SL8 for awhile and it got just as dirty as the AR, you just had to clean it in different places. [BD]

Although, the piston gas system will run longer while dirty. It still isn't maintanence free.

Edited to added: It still baffles me WHY a battle rifle needs decals and racing strips.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Well DUH! The racing stripes make it shoot faster. SHeesh.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#40]
I sent the following to HK (and addressed it to the Veep pictured in the groundbreaking) encouraging them to re-enter the US civilian rifle market.

Whether or not you agree with some of the things I've said, you know we all want more HK arms here in the states.

-jsb.

Peter Simon, VP
Heckler & Koch
21480 Pacific Blvd.
Sterling, VA  20166-8903

Subject: HK's large civilian market in the US

Dear Mr. Simon:

I have recently learned that Heckler & Koch are building a new factory in the United States.  Congratulations.  I wanted to take this opportunity to thank your corporation for the way you have in the past supported the legitimate civilian market in the US.  HK has had a history of providing fine shooting tools to Americans, even when it seemed that some desired it not to be so.  For example, Heckler & Koch introduced the SL8-1 and USC rifles, even though it seemed likely that their importation would be quickly banned.  Further, I want to stress that HK may have one of the most impressive followings of all major manufacturers of small arms.  Witness not only the number of sites on the Internet dedicated to fine Heckler & Koch firearms, but the number of replica and built-from-parts guns on the market.  Original HK firearms like the HK9x series command premium prices.

With the building of this new plant in the United States, I trust that import restrictions will not be so much of a wall to Heckler & Koch.  I strongly encourage you to consider once again making your fine rifles—legendary for their construction and reliability, as well as their aesthetics—available on the American market.  On a more personal note, the HK94 is in my opinion one of the finest 9mm rifles ever made.  As I was too young to purchase one when they were being manufactured and imported, I look forward very much to that day that I can buy a domestically produced HK94 of my own.

With best regards,

James Blachly
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#41]
What the hell why not HK?!?

We can go to work in cars made in Korea, wear clothes made in China, shoes made in Bangledesh, and watch are TVs where the parts were made in Japan and put together in Mexico.

Why not go to war with our weapons from companies from Italy, Germany, France and Belguim? I mean they are our friends.

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#42]
When are these XM8 threads going to be locked like the Marpat series?  Wake me when it's over.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Actually, a company successfully developed a gas piston upper for the M16 back in the 60's.  Piper was the name of the company, I think.

It was (at the time) a few dollars per conversion.

Obviously, we didn't go for it.

History is full of various mistakes and blunders.  The most significant of them concern military forces and their decisions.

CJ
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#44]
If the Arms Branch headed the expert advice of the masses, we would still be fielding Springfield 03's. And probably speaking German or Chinese because of it! [:D] LOL
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
An answer in search of a question.
View Quote

No more than the .17 hmr or that .50 the coastguard invested in.

I do think this has something to do with the upper managments ultimate search for a truely universal service rifle.  One that can clear a room then dispatch the two goblins outside at 1000 yards in dense arctic air

Quoted:

We can go to work in cars made in Korea, wear clothes made in China, shoes made in Bangledesh, and watch are TVs where the parts were made in Japan and put together in Mexico.

Why not go to war with our weapons from companies from Italy, Germany, France and Belguim? I mean they are our friends.
View Quote

FRANCE HAS GUNS???  FRANCE MAKES GUNS????

You lie.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Agreed.

The XM8 Must die the death of a child molesting hemophiliac with a bloody hangnail.

If some of you guys would, edumacate me on the political ties and holdings in the H&K realm.

Last I knew,and a couple of years ago this Jewish guy from Iran(Yes I'm serious!) bought colt,SACO defense,and then joined in a venture with H&K for a ridiculously low fee.
This gent was also big time buddy's with that pus eating maggot Schumer,and Schumer accepted campaign donations from the company.

Has anything changed?
After reading of the dealings I pretty much swore off Colt,H&K,and anything made by SACO defence and sold(Weatherby actions are made by SACO) on the civvie side.

Yeah,it's political.But I hate to see our troops armed by a company that is in bed with Schumer,and profiting at our expense while better rifles are out there.

Somebody tell me things have changed...PALEEESE!

Thanks.
S-28

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#47]
...The primary markets for the firearms produced by the American plant will be for American police and military...
View Quote

Surprise, surprise.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:04:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

FRANCE HAS GUNS???  FRANCE MAKES GUNS????

You lie.
View Quote

No they do, and have great sales on only dropped once firearms.  You just have to grind off the brackets for the white flag holder that come stock from the factory.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:38:14 AM EDT
[#49]
There's also a more realistic looking version in black.
[img]http://www.hk-usa.com/pages/military-le/mil-leimages/xm8apgsold1popup.jpg[/img]

I wonder if you will get it with G36 mags or M16 mags. Personally I don't like the G36 mags. They are very reliable but too fat. A mag pouch that takes 3 M16 mags will only take 2 G36 mags so you need 1/3 more mag pouches on your web gear.

Here is a comparison chart XM8 vs. M4. It's, of course, sugarcoated.
http://www.hk-usa.com/corporate/media/pdf/XM8M4Comparison.pdf

videos:
http://www.hk-usa.com/video/XM8_auto.wmv
http://www.hk-usa.com/video/Comments002.wmv
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:18:56 AM EDT
[#50]
A M16, using a composite material could be made to look much like the G36... unless you want to rule our the firing and bolt system.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top