Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2003 8:13:04 PM EDT
I have about decided on a complete RRA lower from Legal Transfers:
http://www.ar15sales.com/rra2.htm

...and a complete DPMS 14.5" M4 A3 upper from CMMG:
http://www.cmmginc.com/inventory_a/uppers_tbl.html

Anyone see a problem with any of this?  I am especially concerned with the fit and finish match-up of the DPMS upper to the RRA lower.  Anybody have any experience with mating up these (or any other) two products from these two manufacturers?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got a couple of lowers from Pete at Legal Transfers.  It is not a problem to me, but they are VERY tight.  I like that, as they WILL loosen up, but don't be surprised the first time or two you match them to an upper.

Doc
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not get the M4 upper, chromed-barrel with faux flash suppressor that Legal Transfers sells and keep it all RRA?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
1 in 7 twist rate
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:20:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Colors dont match even if its the saem manufacturer.  Be prepared as most upper and lowers dont match.  It will be close enough though.  Your only problem is the cast front sight.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#5]
"Why not get the M4 upper, chromed-barrel with faux flash suppressor that Legal Transfers sells and keep it all RRA?"

Generally RRA M4 barrels do not have the correct contour under the handguards.  I think Legal Transfers barrels might though.  RRA are 1 in 9 and I want 1 in 7.  RRA barrels and uppers do not have the M4 feedramp cuts.  CMMG's do.  I don't think RRA barrels are the preferred MilSpec 4150 steel.  CMMG's are.  RRA barrels are 16" and I want 14.5".  I specifically want a postban muzzle device from Kurt.

DevL,

I am going to have CMMG send my upper to Kurt for installation of an A3 TacBrake.  Should I have him swap out the cast front sight for a forged one while he has it?  He will do it for $65.  Is that money well spent?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:53:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

DevL,

I am going to have CMMG send my upper to Kurt for installation of an A3 TacBrake.  Should I have him swap out the cast front sight for a forged one while he has it?  He will do it for $65.  Is that money well spent?
View Quote

I'm not DevL but I can say with confidence that any money spent with Kurt is money well spent!  Yes, you should have him swap the front sight with a forged one if he's already doing the tackbrake.  If you don't it'll be a big PIA after the tacbrake is installed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:38:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:39:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why not get the M4 upper, chromed-barrel with faux flash suppressor that Legal Transfers sells and keep it all RRA?
View Quote

I'm going to ask the opposite; why not get the a forged DPMS lower from CMMG and keep it all DMPS?

Edited because I can't type this morning.  Maybe the coffee hasn't made it to my fingers yet.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:43:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Generally RRA M4 barrels do not have the correct contour under the handguards.   RRA barrels and uppers do not have the M4 feedramp cuts.  

View Quote

Yes they do...Or at least mine does,..its about 1 year old and bought directly from RRA...Sorry dont have a camera or i give proof....UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Yojimbo...I am pretty much convinced on going ahead with the forged front sight while the upper is at Kurt's.  Would there be any cosmetic issues with this swap?

TheRicker...It is my understanding that Adco doesn't have the true contour barrels...they have to make them from existing non-true contour barrels.  They also aren't, I don't believe, 4150 steel.  And they aren't 1 in 7 twist.  I have heard good things about Adco, but that is why I am not going that route.

M4arc...Do you think the DPMS lower is as good of a product as the RRA lower?  Are there any advantages, other than the obvious upper and lower being matching brands, to getting the DPMS lower instead of the RRA?  This may sound anal, but I really don't like the overbearing DPMS logo with that gay panther.  It is almost as bad as that stupid snake on the Bushmaster receivers.  What is it with these AR people putting pictures of animals on their guns?

underdog75...If in fact RRA barrels do have the M4 feedramp cuts, I stand corrected.  But they still aren't 1 in 7 twist, nor I don't believe 4150 steel.  And the ones I've seen are 16" instead of 14.5".

Keep all the help coming.  I want to get this project right the first time.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:37:13 AM EDT
[#11]
M4arc...Do you think the DPMS lower is as good of a product as the RRA lower? Are there any advantages, other than the obvious upper and lower being matching brands, to getting the DPMS lower instead of the RRA? This may sound anal, but I really don't like the overbearing DPMS logo with that gay panther. It is almost as bad as that stupid snake on the Bushmaster receivers. What is it with these AR people putting pictures of animals on their guns?
View Quote

I purchased a DPMS lower from CMMG and it's perfect...fit and finish is great and it's functioned flawlessly.  I can't say if DPMS stuff is any better than RRA because I believe they all get their parts from the same place.
If you don't like the logo and don't mind the mis-match between the uppers and lowers (doesn't bother me either) then stick with RRA.  I like Pete's "US Property" marked lowers!

Edited to add: I had Kurt replace a FSB for me and I couldn't be happier with his work!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks M4arc.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:49:04 AM EDT
[#13]
FYI: I just swapped out a RRA lower on a DPMS upper (freeing up a pre-ban).  The two do not match in color/sheen.  The RRA is flat, and the DPMS upper is Teflon coated.

If you are planning on using a DPMS upper, match it with a DMPS lower.  FAC has the forged DPMS lowers for $95.  

And regarding the RRA/ DPMS lowers, they both have their strong points.  The RRA is milled to be tighter inside, and works better with other's uppers, but the DPMS is Teflon coated After anodizing, and matches up with there own upper very nicely (I used both DPMS and RRA receivers).

If you need to get an idea of the differences of the two finishes, IM me with an E-mail address, and I can send you a shot of the logo and the two sheens.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Dano523,

IM sent.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quite honestly the DPMS 14.5" M4 barrel is $225 correct? I know there is a discount for getting the whole upper but if you want a front sight that is forged I would get a RRA upper to match the RRA lower as well as a RRA bolt and carrier.  You can purchase a Bushmaster 14.5" 1/7 M4 barrel which WILL have the forged front sight for $195 direct from Bushmaster.  If they have them in stock (you have to call and ask) you would certainly save money over having Kurt install a forged front sight on the DPMS barrel.  If you were going to put on say a PRI front sight or something like that then the difference in price disappears.  It would be cheaper to have Kurt add ramps to the Bushmaster barrel/upper than a forged front sight to the DPMS barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top